Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostThu Sep 24, 2009 11:54 am 
Obi Tony Kenobi wrote:
Sunset and the Crescent Moon over Puget Sound From Three Fingers
Sunset and the Crescent Moon over Puget Sound From Three Fingers
That is an outstanding picture (among many good ones) up.gif Tony, as a life long climber, with very little fear of heights left (at least when I'm roped up) those ladders still freaked me a bit since I'm depending on the damn thing (what if it breaks, and the first time up I couldn't see the anchor at the top). That drop down the east face is incredible! I used to tell students in rock climbing courses that if you don't have a fear of heights you're an idiot (it is dangerous up there). Cimbing is all about raising your skills and knowledge to mitigate the danger, then telling your mind you have it under control (the hardest part).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Sep 24, 2009 12:48 pm 
Fantastic pics, fantastic report. Way to go Toni and how wonderful of Miss. Yana to provide so much support. Clearly one of the years best reports! Tem thumbs up! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostThu Sep 24, 2009 2:57 pm 
Thank you guys, I couldn't have done it with out this great group of hikers on here. GeoTom, I forgot to mention you on this TR, but I didn't forget that when I signed the Summit/Lookout Register (and, Bloated Chipmunk & Tazz)! I have to say the scariest part was not the ladders, but that thin exposed rock ledge you have to walk on to get to the ladders. I think the reason those ladders didn't freak me out as much was because that is all I was looking at; not left, right, or down, just straight ahead. Hopefully this is the start of me conquering this fear of heights and I can go and do more adventurous stuff, but one step at a time. Flash Gordon it was a pleasure meeting you and Steve up there! Thanks for the whiskey, laughs, and company up there!

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Sep 24, 2009 9:58 pm 
Flash Gordon - it was great meeting you! How many times does that make for you up there? 8? 9? I can see why you keep going back. I've been wanting to do Three Fingers for a very long time, thanks for making it happen, Tony! It was a pleasure hiking with you. Your exuberance at what was a very special accomplishment was great to see. That's one of the things I love about hiking - pushing your limits, despite the doubts, and making it happen - feels good, huh? dizzy.gif I'm glad I helped you accomplish your goal (though, really, it was all you hockeygrin.gif ).
Tony triumphant at the lookout
Tony triumphant at the lookout
Descent to the ladders
Descent to the ladders
Tony descending the first (from top) ladder
Tony descending the first (from top) ladder
Ladder fun
Ladder fun
I love your pano shots, awesome! That moon shot is also a doozy! Wow! Not sure how you managed to get such a nice photo with me hovering over you and repeating every five seconds: "Tony, I need your tripod! Tony, the moon is setting! I need it now! Look, it's going behind that ridge! GAH!" embarassedlaugh.gif One thing that I wasn't expecting but was pleasantly surprised by was how good the trail was from Goat Flats all the way to below that final snowfield. It does get narrower and crosses some interesting terrain after Tin Can Gap but it is truly a marvel of trail engineering given the terrain. I guess in trip reports everyone concentrates on the more annoying parts - the moat, the snowfield(s), and the ladders, and no one ever mentions that there's a completely nice trail up there! So here are some pics of the actual trail:
Tony and Tin Can Gap
Tony and Tin Can Gap
more of the trail (can you spot the hikers?)
more of the trail (can you spot the hikers?)
More Trail
More Trail
Trail on the way to the lookout
Trail on the way to the lookout
Interesting trail location (note Tony)
Interesting trail location (note Tony)
Traversing trail to Goat Flats
Traversing trail to Goat Flats
Trail just below Tin Can Gap
Trail just below Tin Can Gap
Tony, Boulder River Wilderness, and Monte Cristo stuff
Tony, Boulder River Wilderness, and Monte Cristo stuff
On the way to the lookout
On the way to the lookout
Nearing Tin Can Gap
Nearing Tin Can Gap
On the very nice trail to Tin Can Gap
On the very nice trail to Tin Can Gap
Tony on the marvel of a trail
Tony on the marvel of a trail
Tony on the first snow patch
Tony on the first snow patch
Okay, so that was entirely too many! I also had fun with various shadows on this trip:
Three fingers evening shadow
Three fingers evening shadow
Three Fingers morning shadow
Three Fingers morning shadow
Shadow
Shadow
And some sunset/sunrise photos. Not nearly as good as Tony's, but he didn't actually take photos of the sunrise, so my sunrise photos are better by default. embarassedlaugh.gif
Sunset
Sunset
More moon
More moon
Baker at sunset
Baker at sunset
Morning reflection
Morning reflection
Morning Contrail
Morning Contrail
Baker in the morning
Baker in the morning
Evening at the lookout
Evening at the lookout
Sunset from inside
Sunset from inside
Arriving fashionably late
Arriving fashionably late
MOOOOOOOON!!!!
MOOOOOOOON!!!!
And a bit of silliness:
Carolina on my mind
Carolina on my mind
I'll savor this trip for a long time. It is truly a wonderful hike in so many different ways. Goodbye, Three Fingers! I'll be baaaaack!
One last look!
One last look!
Layers
Layers

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostThu Sep 24, 2009 10:18 pm 
Beautiful pics OTK and Yana. I am so jealous that you got to spend the night up there. up.gif up.gif

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 4:13 am 
Yana: your pics are outstanding. borank.gif up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 12:12 pm 
Here are a few more Panoramas:
Puget Sound Sunset from Lookout
Puget Sound Sunset from Lookout
Goat Flats to Three Fingers Pano
Goat Flats to Three Fingers Pano
Pano with Yana at Goat Flats
Pano with Yana at Goat Flats

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 12:41 pm 
You two with your writing and photography have done the best job of capturing this trip I have ever seen. up.gif x10 At my house, Yana would be given an 'Awesome!' sticker to put on her reward board for helping her friend Tony.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 12:52 pm 
Cool TR of a classic. up.gif Great work, OTK! I hereby award Yana a gold star for the assist!

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 2:43 pm 
Obi Tony & Yana... I'm marking this as my favorite TR of the year! I was cheering for you as I was reading! That place is still at the top of my to-do list. STILL... because of concerns which sound similar to what Tony described (plus not having the right combination of time, weather & partners). That crescent moon over Puget Sound is jaw dropping! Kudos & Congrats to both of you. ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
NikonHiker

NikonHiker
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 3:03 pm 
Obi Tony Kenobi wrote:
Oh hey we spoke briefly at the trail head sign as our group was piling back into the parking lot and you were heading up. Congrats on the trip. It’s definitely a spectacular haul!

jd_hiker

jd_hiker
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 10:29 pm 
Thanks Yana for the support! That was very impressive. Well done Tony!!! As someone who also has his moments with edges and heights (that have gotten worse since I've got these bi-focals) it is inspiring to see that you made it. And your pictures are beautiful!

I have 11 essentials, the 10 plus an extra camera battery. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jd_hiker/ http://jdhascup.wordpress.com http://jdhascup.500px.com
raz2sea
Daddy RAZ

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 10:35 pm 
Wooo Hooo Tony!!! Great pics from both you and Yana and grats on making it up those ladders. I can still remeber how you screamed when I tried to get you out on the grated Gorge Creek bridge on Hwy 20 clown.gif

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 11:12 pm 
Excellent job Tony!!! up.gif up.gif up.gif And great job Yana for leading him to that summit. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif It is on my hit list for next year for sure.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
whitebark

whitebark
PostSat Sep 26, 2009 10:18 am 
Great report and pics. All these recent Three Fingers reports inspired me to do the hike to the lookout on Sept. 24. With so many trip reports posted already, I won't comment too much on the trail conditons. The hike to Three Fingers is certainly one of the most spectacular in the Cascades! The "moat" gully with the rope is now wide enough to drive a truck down. Now is the time to do the hike if you don't want to deal with steep snow and ice. I chickened out at the scary ledge just before the ladders. This is one long and tough day hike--get to the trailhead right after dawn if you don't want to hike with headlamps on the way back.