Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gem Lake | 09.22-23 | First solo backpacking trip
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 4:29 pm 
Since I had already gone on my first solo hike and my first backpacking trip without my husband this summer, I decided it was time to break another barrier - backpacking all alone. Dun dun DUN. I wanted to go somewhere I had been before (with a short hike in in case I freaked out and wanted to run back home), so I decided on Gem Lake. For added adventure (and since I had the luxury of being dropped off and picked up), I decided to hike out to Denny Creek via Chair Peak Lake and Melakwa the next day.
Good old Snow Lake
Good old Snow Lake
Gem Lake
Gem Lake
Equinox
Equinox
It did not in any way feel like the autumnal equinox when I started out on Tuesday, the sun was out in full force and hot enough to make me appreciate the shady bits of the trail. I passed a bunch of dayhikers (but no backpackers) and made it to Gem in exactly 2.5 hours, which is pretty good for me with a full pack - the pumpkin spice bread carbo load the night before must have worked its magic. wink.gif It was windy as all hell by the lake, which made it really difficult to set my tent up; various bits and pieces kept trying to blow away and the poles were bending all over the place. I ended up trying a couple different campsites before finding one that was sheltered enough for me to erect my lovely abode without major failage.
Whiskers
Whiskers
The lakes from Wright Mountain
The lakes from Wright Mountain
It doesn't look that steep on the map!
1 label
It doesn't look that steep on the map!
After lunch and a quick swim in the lake, I hiked up the the short bootpath to Wright Mountain. Good views, but all I could see at that point was the route I was intending to take the next day - the second half of the part between Chair Peak Lake and Melakwa Pass looked much steeper than I had thought (and it looked like it was mostly scree and crappy dirt, graahk!). After almost throwing up a little bit from sheer terror, I decided to save the loop for when I have a partner and just hike back out the way I came. The rest of the afternoon was spent lazing around by the lake, reading and watching a colorless sunset. Another person had arrived and was camped on the opposite side of the lake, but I was far enough away to feel like I was all alone. The night was uneventful except for a fat little mouse that ran straight into my tent. I didn't get a photo but drew a very lifelike sketch of the incident in my journal.
Goodnight moon
Goodnight moon
Tent monstarr
Tent monstarr
Moste Excellente Artworke
Moste Excellente Artworke
After more swimming and reading the next day, I reluctantly had to head back to civilization. At some point during the journey the middle seam of my shorts had ripped, so I had to hike the whole way back with my butt hanging out - my apologies to anyone walking behind me that day. shakehead.gif
Tent
Tent
Shadow show
Shadow show
I iz in the taluz field, wakin u up rily rily urly.
I iz in the taluz field, wakin u up rily rily urly.
Lessons learned: - backpacking alone isn't scary at all - get an Ursack, I really really suck at hanging bear bags

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 4:38 pm 
Great report. I don't understand why mice have such a propensity to run into tents at full speed in the middle of the night. I've seen one bounce at least 5 feet. Yes, BPing alone is fun. You notice things you wouldn't otherwise see.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 4:49 pm 
Hey, a TR from Ingunn. Imagine that. wink.gif Glad you survived the night alone.

Knows literally nothing
touron

touron
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 5:03 pm 
Nice pictures! up.gif up.gif up.gif I need to make my annual trip to Snow Lake. agree.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 5:05 pm 
Excellent! A solo overnight in the wilderness is good for the soul. And completing the CP circumnav notches the adventure factor. Very nice. up.gif

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 5:08 pm 
Well, since I flaked out on CPL I'll have to go for that part of the adventure later.. redface.gif

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 5:19 pm 
Congrats on your solo! They are sure fun!

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 5:43 pm 
Sounds like a great first solo backpack! I can't wait to try my first solo overnight, but it may need to wait till next spring. Glad yours went so smoothly. Love the mouse pic, I can tell by the way you drew his paws that he had murder on his mind.

Gil

Gil
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 6:33 pm 
The vertical pika shot is to die for! Nice image!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 7:25 pm 
I've never gone overnight alone. Bok bok bok.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 7:32 pm 
Congrats on the solo! Mice are evil. You should never, ever trust them. Under a tarp, zipped into a bivy sack, they'll bounce on your head and keep you awake all night just because they can.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
raz2sea
Daddy RAZ

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 10:50 pm 
Congrats Ingunn!!! What great photos and wonderful place to go. I think I found me a place to visit...when I can hike again.

mdk

mdk
PostSat Sep 26, 2009 1:27 am 
Gem Lake to Melakwa
fyi - the slope from Chair Peak Lake up to Melakwa Pass isn't particularly difficult. Scree/gravel/dirt sure, but not all that loose. While you might not want to trip coming down, it's easy enough going up. It always looks steeper face-on from a distance ! It is a bit loose traversing around the east side of the Lake, but there's a usable footpath. Just make sure you know where to cut up after traversing under Mount Roosevelt. Going as far as the creek drainage coming out of Chair Peak Lake will not make you happy. And congrats on your solo, I always love being entirely on my own itinerary.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat Sep 26, 2009 2:58 am 
Congrats on the solo, Ingunn! It's too bad you passed on Chair Peak Lake / Melakwa Pass, though. Everything looks steeper from far away. Get up close and you'll find it's not really all that bad...there's even a boot path in the dirt / heather all the way to the top. hockeygrin.gif (next time...next time agree.gif)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSat Sep 26, 2009 4:20 pm 
Fun read, and congrats on your 1st solo backpack trip! dance.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss