Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Byrne 22-23 SEP 2009 (Full Chiwakum TR and BarbE TR)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostWed Sep 23, 2009 11:09 pm 
Summary: A challenging and rewarding ridge hike to a (newly) pristine lake with staggering scenery and closeup views of Glacier Peak. Approximately 6000ft elv gain to Lake Byrne and 2000 ft on the return, 24 miles RT. TH: 1800ft, Lake Byrne 5500ft, High pt 5900ft, lots of ups and downs as the trails makes it's way around cliff bands on either side of the ridge. The highlights of this trip for me included (in no particular order): 1) Incredibly beautiful scenery 2) Rewarding (but possibly too easy) fishing 3) Ample solitude 4) New friendship with an avid experienced hiker 5) High alpine lake plunging 6) Prodigious blueberries Harvey Manning (and/or Ira Spring) long lamented how Lake Byrne was abused by overuse because it was "famous" and easy to get to. The old curmudgeon(s) directed hikers to stay at Camp Lake instead of Byrne. My how the storms of October 2003 have changed the situation. It now appears that Camp Lake is the abused sibling and Lake Byrne is the pristine child in the family. I found a fire ring at Camp Lake (I dismatled on the way out) that was 5 feet from shore along with other signs of abuse while Byrne looked almost untouched. My interactions with the resident cutthroat also indicate that Byrne is once again becoming a wild lake (yes I know that the Cutthroat were originally planted). Verbose, mostly irrelevant portion of the the trip report: Lake Byrne has been on my todo list for awhile and I had even considered doing it as a dayhike but ultimately decided that it would be more rewarding (and less painful) as an overnighter. The forecast called for unseasonably warm clear weather mid-week so I decided that this was my best shot at squeezing Lake Byrne in this year. I had undergone a failed attempt at Lake Byrne at the end of July (folied by: 1) 3 hr search for dropped camera, 2) bugs, 3) heat, 4) haze, 5) bad attitude and 6) guilt over missing GoodAgs B-day). Knowing that I had roughly 6000ft of elevation to gain and not wanting to feel rushed to catch the sunset I got an early 7AM start. The early start allowed me to fully enjoy the views that open up once I gained the ridge and left the trees (near the Round Lake jct and after climbing 3600ft). After gaining the ridge the trail meanders up and down and up and down remaing above treeline with peekaboo views of Glacier Peak and ever changing views of Sloan and other Monte Cristo area peaks as well as glimpses of the N Cascades. After what seemed an uncountable number of up and downs I eventually reached beautiful Camp Lake. I spent a some time relaxing and refueling at Camp Lake before making the final 1 or 2 mile push to Lake Byrne. I reached Byrne just after 3PM with plnety of time to relax before taking a million redundant sunset shots of Glacier Peak lording over Lake Byrne. My hike to Byrne included an hour long lunch break and several other extended stops to catch my breath and soak in the views. 15 minutes after arriving at the Lake I was sitting on the shore filtering water and out of nowhere pops up a solo hiker. I quickly recoginized her as BarbE because I had bumped into her earlier in the summer on the summit of Rock Mountain. It turns out that she left the trialhead at least an hour after me and was hot on my heels the entire day. From my vantage point it didn't appear she had even broken a sweat and looked as if she had just gone for a short walk around the block. I am generally regarded as a relatively antisocial hiker but I have to admit it was fun and entertaining to hang out with BarbE while I fished for my dinner and we both waited to capture the Sunset. After a very pleasant evening fishing, BarbE chatting, Glacier Peak gawking and picture taking I decided that with no rain in the forecast and what seemed like little chance for signicant dew (and no apparent bugs) that my tent would make a good ground cover while I slept under the stars. This turned out to be a great choice leading to one of the most pleasant night outdoors since my childhood. The moonless night led to stunning views of the Milky Way and the occasional but spectacular meteor. After a great and unusually warm night spent out in the open under an amazing sky I spent the morning snapping photos and fishing for breakfast. I breifly toyed with idea of taking a side trip down to the obliteratd Kennedy HS but decided that I should save my energy and time for the hike out. As I made my way back around the lake to the trail from my campsite I bumped into BarbE who was also heading out. We decided to hike out together. I suspect she thought she might hold me up on the on the way out but it turns out I was the one holding her up. She politely pretended to rest while I sucked wind and fought back nausea while trying to keep up with her on the long trudge out. I had made a strategic error in the morning with some of my medication that later caused my kidneys to flush my electrolytes (this was a good lesson re-learned, think twice before taking a diruretic while hiking on a hot day). BarbE was kind enough to give me her powdered Cliff Shots Electrolytes (she has never needed them) which helped me quickly recover. When we reached the portion of the trail below Sunup Lake I sent BarbE on a scramble to find Sunup (I've been there on several other outings) and I completed the final slog to the trailhead. Please follow the thread down to BarbE's report.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Sep 23, 2009 11:32 pm 
Very nice! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostWed Sep 23, 2009 11:50 pm 
Quote:
she is a very strong hiker
No doubt! Likewise yourself. Perhaps it has something to do with expectations. I was worried about Silent Lakes being tough and it was a piece of cake compared to my 'easy overnighter' to Lake Byrne. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy the sunset. Your pics are great although I suspect you didn't use a grad filter. I'm a total hacker when it comes to photography but I find they compensate well for the limited dynamic range you get with a digital camera. BTW if you are interested in RAW processing & Photoshop we can help.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Sep 24, 2009 3:36 am 
Chi, Nice shots. I am 2 lazy to get my guide book. How far in? Trailhead? Tom

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostThu Sep 24, 2009 8:11 am 
Davidą wrote:
Quote:
she is a very strong hiker
No doubt! Likewise yourself. Perhaps it has something to do with expectations. I was worried about Silent Lakes being tough and it was a piece of cake compared to my 'easy overnighter' to Lake Byrne. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy the sunset. Your pics are great although I suspect you didn't use a grad filter. I'm a total hacker when it comes to photography but I find they compensate well for the limited dynamic range you get with a digital camera. BTW if you are interested in RAW processing & Photoshop we can help.
David, you are correct, I did not have a Neutral Gradient Filter. I'm hoping I have couple of f-stops worth of dynamic range in the "raws" to improve the pics a bit. I really wish my D70 .nef files stored the full dyn rng of my sensor rather than doing some funky non-linear compression. I really miss the results I got shooting with film cameras. I would very much appreciate any tips on processing you can throw my way. Regarding the difficulty, I took my time going in knowing there were roughly 6000ft to gain on the way in. What surprised me was the difficulty of the return. I thought it would be a cake walk compared to coming in.

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostThu Sep 24, 2009 8:17 am 
Tom, I'll post a full trip report with stats Thur or Fri. I'm in kind of a work crunch right now. But in the meantime: 12 min one-way, 6000ft gain to Byrne (despite what the guidebooks say), 2000ft on the way out. Some people do it as a dayhike; I wouldn't recommend doing that!

BarbE

BarbE
PostThu Sep 24, 2009 11:14 am 
Chiwakum - great shots! up.gif up.gif up.gif It was fun to hang out with you on otherwise lonely Lake Byrne. Everything I had read about the Lost Ridge trail was true. Never ending, butt-kicking ups and downs and never ending spectacular views in all directions. A nice breeze blowing along the ridge on this hot day made for pleasant hiking conditions. And Lake Byrne-what a great place to hang out and watch Chiwakum catch lot's of "dumb" fish and wait for the sunset! A balmy night and best of all - no bugs to speak of! Sometime after 7AM a ball of fire rose behind Glacier Peak. My point and shoot couldn't see the sun at all and totally reversed the colors. Fortunately the true image is burned into my memory. A quick swim at Camp Lake on the way out and later a search for Sunup Lake after I said goodbye to Chiwakum. A few more pictures.
Sloan Peak
Sloan Peak
Sperry and Vesper
Sperry and Vesper
Mount Baker
Mount Baker
meandering trail
meandering trail
with killer views
with killer views
Hardtack Lake
Hardtack Lake
nice camp site @ Camp lake
nice camp site @ Camp lake
Ridge above Camp Lake
Ridge above Camp Lake
First view of Lake Byrne
First view of Lake Byrne
Chiwakum fishing
Chiwakum fishing
dinner
dinner
great rock formations
great rock formations
reflections
reflections
mandatory Lake Byrne..
mandatory Lake Byrne..
sunset shot
sunset shot
close-up
close-up
last one
last one
Sunrise over Glacier Peak
Sunrise over Glacier Peak
Last look at Lake Byrne
Last look at Lake Byrne
love those rocks
love those rocks
Sloan Peak
Sloan Peak
Camp Lake and trail
Camp Lake and trail
Chiwakum's firepit cleanup...
Chiwakum's firepit cleanup...
...and disposing of rocks
...and disposing of rocks
Autumn colors
Autumn colors
Sunup Lake or just a tarn
Sunup Lake or just a tarn
Pretty valley
Pretty valley

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostThu Sep 24, 2009 11:23 am 
Cool having your shots so I can prioritize mine later. I know you're busy this week so I really appreciate you getting some wonderful pics and a nice report in so quickly. I thought your sunrise pic was spectacular. I am also rethinking my strategy of lugging my Nikon D70 around after seeing your shots. In addition to you having a much better aesthetic sense I think your camera may have more dynamic range than my aging one. Did you find Sunup? I hope I didn't give lousy route info. Edit: I just saw your pic of Sunup. Yep, that's it. And it is just a tarn.

BarbE

BarbE
PostThu Sep 24, 2009 11:38 am 
I'm sure you gave me good directions to Sunup, but I ended up higher than I thought I should have been. After a few too many scrambles and blueberry belays I looked down on what I thought might be Sunup Lake but probably wasn't. I was getting pretty tired and it was 4:30PM and time to leave. The switch backs down from Round Lake took forever and I was one happy hiker when I reached the car.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostThu Sep 24, 2009 11:56 am 
great pix from a great area! As I was perusing the first set of pix, I'm thinking what is that big mountain in the background? Then I realize that's Glacier Peak, sans glaciers. Where have all the glaciers gone? It's been a long time since I've viewed that mountain from this perspective late in the season. How was the trail and route getting to the Lake? What kind of hiking times did you have going in and out?

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Sep 24, 2009 1:07 pm 
Chi,
Quote:
Some people do it as a dayhike; I wouldn't recommend doing that
Thanks. That's why I asked. Quite a haul for old folks. Tom

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostThu Sep 24, 2009 1:15 pm 
tmatlack wrote:
Chi,
Quote:
Some people do it as a dayhike; I wouldn't recommend doing that
Thanks. That's why I asked. Quite a haul for old folks. Tom
Tom, I think Byrne would be doable by anyone in decent shape as long as they had enough time. A four day trip with intermediate camps on the ridge on the way in and out would work for many people. The trick would be finding a reliable creeklet near a flattish campsite.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 8:41 am 
There are a lot of ups and downs on that trail, but 2000 feet? You sure? Anyway, beautiful pics. Good job finding Sunup Lake, where many have failed. You guys had great, clear conditions. When I went there with Kim a few years ago it was so hazy. We did it comfortably in 3 days. 2 days would be difficult but not crazy if you're in good shape. We camped at Hardtack Lake for the first night after hiking pretty slowly the first day, and it's not all that much farther to Byrne from there.

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 9:07 am 
Foist wrote:
There are a lot of ups and downs on that trail, but 2000 feet? You sure? Anyway, beautiful pics. Good job finding Sunup Lake, where many have failed. You guys had great, clear conditions. When I went there with Kim a few years ago it was so hazy. We did it comfortably in 3 days. 2 days would be difficult but not crazy if you're in good shape. We camped at Hardtack Lake for the first night after hiking pretty slowly the first day, and it's not all that much farther to Byrne from there.
I have no idea what the real elevation in/out is. Those numbers are from Galiwalker's Lake Byrne dayhike TR (which seem a tad high to me). What I do know is that it's more than 4000ft on the way in (and the ups/downs on the way out are non-trivial on a hot day)! I just didn't want to give people the impression that it is a stroll; which might be the conclusion after looking at a GT map. I hope to write a full TR tonight. I was out late last night catching "Deer Tick" at the High Dive (hopefully I don't get Lyme Disease).

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Sep 25, 2009 9:13 am 
You're right, definitely no stroll. It's a real bum-kicker. This report on WTA describes it perfectly (and hilariously).