Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cox Valley - ONP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 12:27 am 
It sucked. Stupidest trail in all of ONP. The End.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 12:38 am 
Okay, it really sucked. Basically a 1.8 mile trail (such an exaggeration!) that goes nowhere except down into a valley. Then you climb back up. Trail roughly parallels Hurricane Ridge road. I guess the history is: Was built by Cox, a homesteader, as a means to reach the high country via Morse Creek, cause he was too goody-two-shoes to take the government's trail (O'Neil & Co.) Trail is not maintained/ invisible, lotza blowdown, lotza guesswork. Did I mention it goes nowhere? Except through patches of Devil's Club, stickers, and muck. lol.gif I'm guessing the last time it saw any trail maintenance was, say, c.1850. Saving grace, it's red-lined off my map!!! agree.gif up.gif hockeygrin.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 5:27 am 
I understand...the red line on the map, the dog-eared page in the guide book, the X next to the hike description...I can be kinda the same way. tongue.gif

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 7:37 am 
One of my favorite trip reports of the fall! wink.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 2:55 pm 
didn't i tell you about cox valley while we were hiking? it was the worst especially after i got 'nailed' by stinging nettles rant.gif the foliage were taller than me....okay, everyone is taller than me but....i'm cooler than most cool.gif cindy and i followed the metal markers on the trees and yep, goes to nowhere land. shakehead.gif i guess it's where the headwaters of morse creek begins. someone verify, please! well, at least it's red-lined. up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
ScottM

ScottM
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 9:08 pm 
You wouldn't be saying that because maybe it just happens to be the most exciting, beautiful, glorious trail in the world and you just want to keep it all for yourself. No, I didn't think so.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 9:16 pm 
I think it must be fabulous, and you are trying to keep the tourons out. Quick, why don't 200 people head down there and report back please.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 10:15 pm 
you first. dizzy.gif loved your TR, GGW, particularly the first one upthread. I have a few trails in my notebook like this, I know they are there, I know that they probably suck, yet I want to do them so I can say I have completed a series in this or that area of the map. I have very low expectations. Even then I know I will be disappointed. But the desire remains.

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ
PostTue Sep 22, 2009 11:23 pm 
up.gif up.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Sep 23, 2009 6:48 am 
wonder no more..... if you read this H before heading to the ridge, plan on adding this lovely trail. hang a sharp left before the lodge onto the obstruction point gravel road. TH is on the left maybe a mile +-. give us the photo TR biggrin.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Sep 23, 2009 6:58 am 
fine....wave as you head to the mountains! be careful on mt. angeles! from my kitchen i can see the mountain has a bit of a haze.

RodF

RodF
PostSun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm 
ScottM wrote:
You wouldn't be saying that because maybe it just happens to be the most exciting, beautiful, glorious trail in the world and you just want to keep it all for yourself. No, I didn't think so.
Hmm, either she didn't go as far as the waterfalls, where you cross and traverse east across the glacial lake terrace into the majestic grove of what must be the largest Engelmann spruce in the Olympics, or she's keeping it shh! sekrit!

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 3:40 pm 
Nooooo, don't tell me that. I'm not even sure it "counts" as a trail since most of the time I was pruning Devil's Club and Primrose with my bare hands. I'm not even sure if I was on the trail. bawl.gif O.K. Here's a couple of shots. Tell me if I was even close. This one was taken in the third clearing, about an hour into the hike.
Cox Valley ONP
Cox Valley ONP
This one was taken in the sixth clearing, about two hours into the hike.
Cox Valley - ONP
Cox Valley - ONP
Oh, and this guy was kind cute.
Little Buck in Cox Valley ONP
Little Buck in Cox Valley ONP
And do you recognize this place?
P.J. Lake - ONP
P.J. Lake - ONP

silence

silence
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 6:40 pm 
goats ... thx for the chuckle lol.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan