Forum Index > Trip Reports > 101 hours of Enchantment(s) [5+ peaks!] 9/23-27/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 11:55 am 
I've hiked many areas in Washington, but never have ventured into the elusive and magical Enchantment Lakes area. Many months ago, David (Opus) won the lucky lottery and secured a permit for 4 people for 5 days in late September, graciously inviting Yumi (BPLama), Suzanne (Sadie's Driver), and me to accompany him. Everyone else had been there at least once, but this was my first trip. After months of anticipation, we watched the long range forecast gradually encompass our planned dates with an amazing forecast of continuous sun and warmth. Not wanting to risk any chance of losing the precious permits, we rolled out of Seattle at 6am on Wednesday in order to reach the Leavenworth Ranger Station by 9am. In fact, we arrived not long after 8am. David listened to the mechanical spiel of instruction from one Forest Service employee while I posed an important question to the other: "Why are all the Forest Service rigs switching from green to white?" Answer: "Because it saves $1500 per rig for a stock color rather than the special green." I guess that's a good reason, but I miss the green. Day 1 - in via Colchuck Lake and Aasgard Pass Shortly after 9am we saddled up and headed toward Colchuck Lake and Aasgard Pass, the others having vowed never to go via Snow Lakes again. The hike in along Mountaineer Creek was pleasantly cool and we made good time to Colchuck Lake. The view south toward Colchuck Pk. and Aasgard Pass is spectacular. The view in the other direction is relatively mundane. The water level in the lake was lower than usual after the hot and dry summer.
Colchuck Pk.
Colchuck Pk.
Aasgard Pass ahead
Aasgard Pass ahead
Cashmere Mtn. from Colchuck Lk.
Cashmere Mtn. from Colchuck Lk.
We had a bite to eat on the beach at the south shore of the lake before heading up Aasgard Pass. This is 2200' of gain in less than a mile, and the 'trail' is steep and rough. Nevertheless, we all reached the top of the pass before 3pm.
Colchuck Lk. with Eightmile Mtn. behind
Colchuck Lk. with Eightmile Mtn. behind
Cashmere Mtn. from Aasgard Pass
Cashmere Mtn. from Aasgard Pass
Colchuck Lk. from Aasgard Pass
Colchuck Lk. from Aasgard Pass
Eightmile Mtn. from Aasgard Pass
Eightmile Mtn. from Aasgard Pass
As we rested and admired the views, the lead members of a large group of 6 hiked past. Fearing that they were headed for the same camp spot as we intended (it turns out they weren't), Yumi went out ahead to try and pass them (which she did). The rest of us followed shortly, and I soon had my first views of an Enchantment lake.
First view of an Enchantment lake (Isolation)
First view of an Enchantment lake (Isolation)
Isolation Lk.
Isolation Lk.
Enchantment Basin
Enchantment Basin
Tarns ahead (and camp)
Tarns ahead (and camp)
We set up camp near some of the small tarns between Isolation and Inspiration Lakes, overlooking Crystal Lake. Elevation about 7500'. It was near one of the toilets, which would have been nice except that it was...um, "overfilled". More on this later. The weather indeed was sunny and warm, and we relaxed and savored the first evening's meal (as the sun set early behind Dragontail Pk.) -- a jambalaya supplied by Suzanne. A few steps in quality (and pounds) above the freeze-dried variety! Still, in late September the darkness comes quickly, and we were in our tents before 8pm. The others will add more elaborate descriptions of the remaining 90 hours, but here is a preview... Day 2 [Suzanne] - Isolation and Perfection Lakes, Cannon Mtn, Enchantment Pk.
Perfection Lk.
Perfection Lk.
Suzanne reaches Druid Plateau
Suzanne reaches Druid Plateau
McClellan Pk. from Cannon Mtn.
McClellan Pk. from Cannon Mtn.
Day 3 [David] - Little Annapurna, Dragontail Pk, Witches Tower (Yumi), Enchantment Plateau, "Crap Copter"
Prusik Pk. and The Temple as seen heading up Little Annapurna
Prusik Pk. and The Temple as seen heading up Little Annapurna
Enchantment Basin from Dragontail Pk.
Enchantment Basin from Dragontail Pk.
Colchuck Pk. from plateau
Colchuck Pk. from plateau
Day 4 [Yumi] - McClellan Pk, Crystal Lk, (windy!)
Route to the Prong and McClellan Pk.
Enchantment Basin from McClellan Pk.
Crystal Lk. and Enchantment Basin above
Day 5 - out via Aasgard Pass and Colchuck Lake Blessedly, Saturday's relentless wind abated during the night and we packed up under calm, clear skies. Several goats supervised. Though the wind had stopped there was a layer of ice on parts of the smaller tarns.
Stretching
Stretching
Goat in camp
Goat in camp
We carefully made our way down Aasgard Pass, but experienced the only untoward event of the trip. Just 100' from the bottom, David lost balance and pitched head forward with his pack and heavy camera bag into a pool in the adjacent stream. This was better than rocks, but he was soaked and a bit shaken, though fortunately not seriously injured. Water damage to his camera was uncertain, but it appeared to function. We reached the parking lot crowded with cars at about 2pm, 101 hours after starting. As I write, the forecast is for snow levels to drop to 4500' during the week. That would have made for a different trip! Indeed we were fortunate, not only to have the opportunity to hike in this area, but to do so with such spectacular conditions.

pithy yet insightful signature
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 1:43 pm 
Great TR on one of my favorite places on earth!! I think the Colchuck Lake level is low because they actually spill water down to the Leavenworth Fish Hatchery so the fish can have cool water. Several other lakes in the area get the same treatment.

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 3:37 pm 
Middle E wrote:
Day 2 [Suzanne] - Isolation and Perfection Lakes, Cannon Mtn, Enchantment Pk.
Splendid, indeed! What a trip - there were AT LEAST 101 enchanting hours! Jim K, Happy Marmot (Kelly), Rick and I were up in the basin in 2005 and we had some beautiful weather, too - but not nearly as "balmy" as it was this trip (well, with the exception of the wind on Friday night and all day Saturday). I think most of the rocks are still in the same place they were then! winksmile.gif I do remember Aaskick Pass and heavy packs before, but we did a little "weigh-in" at the beginning of our trip
David weighing in at 44 lbs.
David weighing in at 44 lbs.
I was the overall winner with 52 lbs. (David did have his 80 lb camera gear, too, however! At least by the time we got to the top of Aasgaard, David probably thought the camera stuff weighed 80 lbs.!) Barry had said to all of us that we were responsible for bringing out some granite for his new countertops - - - but what he didn't tell me was that I would have to CARRY IN the stuff he didn't want! lol.gif Geez. Anyway, a gourmet meal and nearly 11 hours in the tent and we were ready for: Day Two Adventure It had been a warm - and dead calm wind - evening. Almost too warm - but we were eager to get started. Our merry band started out about 9:00 a.m. in short sleeves and shorts (well, most of us) heading off down past Inspiration and Perfection Lakes (and the camp site of the hikers whom Yumi had had a foot race with on our way in) and on to Prusik Pass.
The fearless foursome head out on Thursday (09/24) morning to Cannon and Enchantment peaks
The fearless foursome head out on Thursday (09/24) morning to Cannon and Enchantment peaks
Off we go . . .
Off we go . . .
We were making great time and soon came upon a group of four folks - some were convinced that the top of Prusik Pass would be a fine destination for the day (the women) - while the other two were thinking of greater adventure (the guys). Don't know who won that discussion! But, we had our sights on bigger fish - first Cannon and then Enchantment. Barry, the human GPS, set our bearings and off we headed. Not much to add, except that we dropped down off of Prusik about 400' to ascend back up to a bench with some tarns above Shield Lake (sorta' North/northwest) - and then continued up to a very steep gully (hardest part of the Cannon leg) reaching Druid Plateau, with Cannon ahead.
Pretty
Pretty
The scramble ahead of us to get to Druid Plateau
The scramble ahead of us to get to Druid Plateau
No easy route!
No easy route!
Heading up towards the Plateau
Heading up towards the Plateau
Barry reaching the last part of steep gully to Druid Plateau
Barry reaching the last part of steep gully to Druid Plateau
View east from Druid Plateau across Shield Lake below
View east from Druid Plateau across Shield Lake below
Yumi almost to Druid Plateau
Yumi almost to Druid Plateau
David on last part of steep gully up to Druid Plateau
David on last part of steep gully up to Druid Plateau
Barry heading across the Plateau towards Cannon
Barry heading across the Plateau towards Cannon
Druid Plateau
Druid Plateau
We reached the summit block of Cannon a little before Noon.
Climbing the summit block of Cannon
Climbing the summit block of Cannon
Glacier Peak to the North
Glacier Peak to the North
Victorious!
Victorious!
Barry and Yumi at the top of Cannon
Barry and Yumi at the top of Cannon
Rainier from Cannon
Rainier from Cannon
One thing we noticed to the South/southeast was a bunch of smoke billowing up - it looked like one serious fire - but we never did find out what it was. The smoke lingered until the high winds on Friday helped to blow it out.
McClellan from Cannon - lots of smoke to the southeast
McClellan from Cannon - lots of smoke to the southeast
We spent probably an hour on the summit.
Lunch break on Cannon
Lunch break on Cannon
The driver sunning on Cannon
The driver sunning on Cannon
Opus striking "the pose" from top of Cannon
Opus striking "the pose" from top of Cannon
Colchuck - with Mt. Stuart behind - from the top of Cannon
1 label
Colchuck - with Mt. Stuart behind - from the top of Cannon
Barry on top of Cannon
Barry on top of Cannon
Looking east from tarns above Shield Lake
Looking east from tarns above Shield Lake
Cannon off in the distance from tarns above Shield Lake
Cannon off in the distance from tarns above Shield Lake
But, we had more fish to fry. Not wanting to drop the whole 400' down from the tarns, Barry charted a course that saved us about 200' of elevation loss heading due south - to the north (very, very steep) flank of Enchantment Peak. From here, we worked our way back toward Prusik Pass, but head west at the ridge line to head up to Enchantment.
View to Prusik Peak (from the north side)
View to Prusik Peak (from the north side)
View on the way up Enchantment looking toward Perfection Lake
View on the way up Enchantment looking toward Perfection Lake
There's a well-marked route - cairns all along the way (we didn't have cairns on the way to Cannon). Before long - 40 minutes from the time we left Cannon - we were at Enchantment.
Yumi coming up the south flank of Enchantment
Yumi coming up the south flank of Enchantment
A rather barren looking landscape
A rather barren looking landscape
Heading to the summit block
Heading to the summit block
Almost to the top
Almost to the top
Barry touching the top of Enchantment
Barry touching the top of Enchantment
Yumi climbing up Enchantment
Yumi climbing up Enchantment
Yumi on top of Enchantment Peak
Yumi on top of Enchantment Peak
Looking toward Saturday's destination - McClellan from Enchantment
Looking toward Saturday's destination - McClellan from Enchantment
View from atop of Enchantment
View from atop of Enchantment
Heading off of Enchantment
Heading off of Enchantment
Not finished with today's adventures yet, we decided to mosey on to Gnome Tarn - which was virtually dried up!
Heading to Gnome Tarn
Heading to Gnome Tarn
Looking back to Prusik Peak and Prusik Pass
Looking back to Prusik Peak and Prusik Pass
Bear pinatas
Bear pinatas
Calling our day good - more than 4000' of gain and probably 8 miles or so, we headed back to camp for evening TWO of our gourmet meals! Tonight, it would be David and Yumi in charge - and the menu included (for the purist backpackers reading this report - you can stop now - it will only confirm for you that we're far too leisurely in our approach to serious hiking/climbing! agree.gif ) Avocado, tomato, chiles, (fake and real) chicken (for the vegetarians in the group), black beans and cheese! Accompanied by Spanish Rice, a fine wine, lots of chocolate . . . . need I say more?
Kitchen crew prepares for another exquisite dinner.
Kitchen crew prepares for another exquisite dinner.
Chef's assistant, preparing the Spanish Rice!
Chef's assistant, preparing the Spanish Rice!
Gourmet chef in action!   Mmmmmm 
burritos!
Gourmet chef in action! Mmmmmm burritos!
We did have a "guest" for dinner . .
Look who's coming for dinner!
Look who's coming for dinner!
Fran, is that you?
Fran, is that you?
Darkness again set in early - but the weather gods had given us another day of calm (no) winds, lots of sun . . . and an amazing star show - with visions of . . . Day Three - David's Version of What Really Happened

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 4:48 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
I think the Colchuck Lake level is low because they actually spill water down to the Leavenworth Fish Hatchery so the fish can have cool water. Several other lakes in the area get the same treatment.
That's true of Snow Lake, but I haven't heard that of Colchuck Lake. Almost all of the Enchantment lakes were below the apparent high water level -- I don't really know whether this is normal for the season, or whether this year was unusual.

pithy yet insightful signature
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 5:40 pm 
Middle E wrote:
HitTheTrail wrote:
I think the Colchuck Lake level is low because they actually spill water down to the Leavenworth Fish Hatchery so the fish can have cool water. Several other lakes in the area get the same treatment.
That's true of Snow Lake, but I haven't heard that of Colchuck Lake. Almost all of the Enchantment lakes were below the apparent high water level -- I don't really know whether this is normal for the season, or whether this year was unusual.
I have just been told by my brother (who worked with fisheries via the Chelan Co. PUD for 30 + years) that the following lakes have all been dammed and raised about 20'; Colchuck, Eight Mile, Square, Klonaqua. So, according to him, the lake level you are seeing is close to the natural level.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 5:46 pm 
Very nice, as usual. up.gif

Knows literally nothing
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 6:31 pm 
Nice you guys. I had permits the same weekend last year as you did this year. This year I've got them for this coming weekend. It always seems that the larch aren't quite yet at peak the last weekend of September but the first weekend of October seems to be a risk for snow. Two years ago my plans got totally hosed when Asgard Pass got three feet of snow the first weekend of Oct. You guys really took advantage of the nice weather window to tick off a ton of summits. up.gif

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 8:13 pm 
Layback wrote:
Nice you guys. I had permits the same weekend last year as you did this year. This year I've got them for this coming weekend.
Take your winter woolies! lol.gif You may be greeted with Golden Larch on white! (and I'm not talkin' white granite!0
Layback wrote:
You guys really took advantage of the nice weather window to tick off a ton of summits. up.gif
agree.gif I felt so "macha" having reached the same summit as Randy and Tom Sjolseth! (McClellan) embarassedlaugh.gif Got more Top 100s in 3 days than I have (almost) in a lifetime!!! eek.gif dance.gif chickenleg.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 8:41 pm 
Awesome! Looking forward to more, more, more! up.gif up.gif

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 10:40 pm 
Nice going. Looks like you made the most of the area.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostTue Sep 29, 2009 12:47 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
I was the overall winner with 52 lbs. A gourmet meal and nearly 11 hours in the tent and we were ready for evening TWO of our gourmet meals! The menu included Avocado, tomato, chiles, (fake and real) chicken (for the vegetarians in the group), black beans and cheese! Accompanied by Spanish Rice, a fine wine, lots of chocolate . . . . need I say more?
Take me with you next time, pleeeease. tdd

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Sep 29, 2009 4:05 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Day Three - David's Version of What Really Happened
Once again I'd had my fill of sleep from the early tuck in the night before and I found myself out of the tent by 6 am to enjoy another sunrise. While the others slept in I packed up my camera gear and wandered out to the knoll overlooking Perfection Lake and Prusik Peak. Another glorious sunrise full of color due to the fire smoke in the valley!
Sunrise
Sunrise
Breakfast company
Breakfast company
Goats arrive
Goats arrive
When everyone else roused we had a nice breakfast and set our sights on Little Annapurna and Dragontail. Various bowling balls, anvils, and granite blocks were left behind from our heavy entry packs. We made short work of Little Annapurna, hopping up the slabby slopes. Off in the distance there was still a lot of smoke from the wildfire (near Wenatchee?) and the fire in the Goat Rocks was still burning strong. Our main goal was Dragontail so after a short stay we continued along the ridge, dropping a few hundred feet towards a snowy saddle along the way. Before long we heard the whomping sound of an approaching helicopter. We watched as it landed on the beach near Isolation lake, dropped off two people, and took off again. Later it returned with a long hook dangling below and some familiar looking boxes. It was the crap copter! Empty loos were flown in and the full (to overflowing) ones were flown out. Relief!
Little Annapurna summit
Little Annapurna summit
Mt Adams with wildfire
Mt Adams with wildfire
Helicopter landing
Helicopter landing
Flying out full toilets
Flying out full toilets
We ascended towards the ridgeline above Witches Tower on scree and some loose gravel. Care was taken as we gained the ridge for a nice traverse along the backside, beyond a few highpoints, and on towards Dragontail itself. Before the final scramble we looked down on the glacier; very steep, dirty, crevassed, and not inviting! Our route by contrast was a very pleasant ridge walk with surprisingly little scrambling along the way. We all reached the top and enjoyed a liesurely lunch in the warm sun.
Yumi on Dragontail peak
Yumi on Dragontail peak
Upper Enchantments
Upper Enchantments
Find my tiny red tent
Find my tiny red tent
Ridge walk
Ridge walk
Barry, Suzanne, and myself backtracked the way we came while Yumi dropped off the ridge sooner to scramble Witches Tower. After filtering some water from snowmelt we watched as she easily reached the top. Had I known it was such a quick scramble I'd have gone myself! We dropped straight down to the shores of Isolation on some nice slabs, crossing the landbridge across the lake and emerging on the trail to reunite with Yumi.
Blue water
Blue water
Camp from above
Camp from above
We still had time to kill, so what now? We filtered some water, talked with a hiker I mistook for a Ranger (hey, he was wearing khaki and a green hat!) before ascending the ridge opposite Dragontail for a view out towards Icicle ridge and to see the backside of the Enchantment Peak ridge. Great views up here! We ran the ridge back towards camp, dropping down more slabs and some scree to return to our tent. Sadly no gourmet meals awaited us today and we all made due with various freeze dried and dehydrated feed bags. Suzanne spiced things up with a nice bruschetta appetizer using a tomato and the last of her Trader Joes naan. Just as well we saved a quick dinner for tonight as the winds roared in with a vengeance, making up for the still nights before. We were chased into our tents even earlier to escape the cold blasts, riding out a noisy night of strong gusts and flapping tents. A sleepless night for most.
Tired feet
Tired feet
Tired feet
Tired feet
Before turning in we surveyed our route of McClellan peak across the valley, discussing which path appeared to go through. Through his binoculars, Barry charted a course up from Leprechaun lake to a gully behind "The Prong" and onto the ridge. It appeared to work but he himself admitted, "Of course I could be full of sh*t." The final parts of our trip to be continued by Yumi (BPLlama)! Will we survive the wind storm unscathed? Is Barry really full of sh*t? Stay tuned! A taste of what's to come...

BPLlama

BPLlama
PostTue Sep 29, 2009 5:26 pm 
Middle E wrote:
Day 4 [Yumi] - McClellan Pk, Crystal Lk, (windy!)
Ok, Barry is not full of sh*t bs.gif (though the loo was till the crappers got lifted away flush.gif ) it sure turned frigging windy on Day4! Barry and I kept looking at the McClellan peak from our campsite, trying to analyze the best route up.
I liked the look of the approach from the Leprechaun lake, because it seems to gets you closer to the gully that reached directly behind the prong. So that's what we did; Barry lead us up the boot path along the east ridge of the Leprechaun lake. We came across some cairns marking the route up the talus. Following it lead us up to the gully we'd been eying for days before. There it was a little bit loosey-slidey but we stayed close to the rock on the left and went up to the ridge.
Popping up on Ridge (by Suzanne)
Popping up on Ridge (by Suzanne)
Real summit behind (by Suzanne)
Real summit behind (by Suzanne)
Once there, we headed around the backside a short distance, then came what looked like the peak, but held our urge to scramble up it, went around it and behind it where we found the real peak. Going up the face of the peak is doable but harder but if you go a little ways around and come up between the peak and the next rock tower, it will lead you to an easier scramble route up to the summit.
The way to McClellan Summit (by Suzanne)
The way to McClellan Summit (by Suzanne)
Happy faces reaching summit (by Suzanne)
Happy faces reaching summit (by Suzanne)
At top we found a summit register. This was the only peak in the Enchantment that we climbed that had a register. Suzanne signed the register for all of us and left her pen and some extra paper since there were none there. Going up was a tad bit windy but weather and views were fantastic! eek.gif up.gif
Had a quick snack at the summit and we headed back down the gully which was more slippery going down waah.gif . Suzanne summed it up pretty well singing a little diddi by Carole King (i feel the earth move under my feet).
Going down slippery gully (by Suzanne)
Going down slippery gully (by Suzanne)
Then we traversed across towards Perfection lake and visited Crystal lake before climbing up slightly back towards the direction of L'il Annapurna and then straight back up climbing one of the small drainage towards our campsite area.
Crystal Lake and Mini-Annapurna (by Suzanne)
Crystal Lake and Mini-Annapurna (by Suzanne)
The rest of the time we spend chilling out at camp. I took a nice stroll back towards tranquil lake and took another good look at Dragontail peak and the Witches tower. Then I headed back to our campsite before sunset just in time to join everyone for din-dins
Freezed dried ain't so bad on day4 (by Suzanne)
. I saw a bunch of rock climbers coming in with ropes and helmets (We saw no one climbing Prusik or anything else with ropes before that). Next time I go back to the Ench, I'd like to climb Prusik and Temple, but for that I need to brush up on my rock climbing skills. We brought too much food as usual hungry.gif. Day1 was community dinner provided by Chef Suzanne: Jambalaya! Delish!
chow.gif Day2 was provided by Chef David: Burrito! Yummilicous! burger.gif Thanks for a superb time ya'll~! up.gif up.gif

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Sep 29, 2009 5:34 pm 
BPLlama wrote:
Nice to see that David has ditched those bright orange crocs. wink.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Sep 29, 2009 5:51 pm 
Great trip! Total tour of the Enchantments - peaks, lakes, and everything in between. Some more photos from our trip: (Click here for the full gallery)