Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lime Ridge High Route - Sept. 22-25, 2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 3:39 pm 
Tom, the bikeride on the road isn't that bad, dark or not. It's a good road, free of blowdown. The only stupid spot is that damn cattle guard. I jsut about busted my ass on that thing in the near-dark. Trails funding and roads projects come from different coffers, different division, different personnel. Just as any large business does for their budget. This road is top priority. I'm sure you've called the District Ranger by now, and asked for the lowdown on the steps taken since 2003, - so you know how much they've been busting ass on it. When funding comes in for a trail and you get it, you gotta spend it within the appropriate timeframe, or it's gone. I wouldn't imagine that quitting casting about for trails funding would be a smart move - the FS is lucky to get what it gets when it gets it. Luckily George, with his poor spelling, isn't the one filling out the grant requests. Once the road is fixed, the trails will be that much more ahead maintenance-wise. If they wait til the road is fixed, there will be an 8 year backlog (it'll be 8 years next season when it's fixed), and people would bitch about that. I personally don't think that shelving trail maintenance for 8 years would be a smart way to run a trail system.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 4:21 pm 
Tom wrote:
How's the EA coming along?
I hereby echo this query.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 4:31 pm 
Just to get this straight.....the bridge that washed out over tenas creek has been repaired....there is a gate 2? miles before the bridge..... there may be some minor stuff to fix just before the bridge...(this was a month ago)....I hear the road is going to be closed at the bridge on fs. rd. #2660 ...this after 15' high rock walls line the creek above and below the bridge....(the new bridge)....how was the budget on that?? why put so much money time and effort into a bridge that is going to be closed anyway...what a friggin waste....that said the boulder lake area can use some healing allso.....just NO EXCUSE for wasting that kinda effort at the bridge repair and not have it open to use....period!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 4:47 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Tom, the bikeride on the road isn't that bad, dark or not. It's a good road, free of blowdown. The only stupid spot is that damn cattle guard. I jsut about busted my ass on that thing in the near-dark.
The road is pretty good and mostly clear but there were downed branches that could have resulted in a bike spill if unanticipated. Keep in mind hiking headlamps don't necessarily put out the same light as car headlights and don't light the road ahead of you very far when you are moving at 10-15 mph. If I hadn't just busted my head open a month earlier going over the handlebars at < 5 mph, I probably wouldn't have thought twice about the consequences of taking a spill at 15 mph. Forest Gnome, I'm sure there's probably a valid reason for the Tenas gate. I'm just happy it will be open again next year, assuming mother nature behaves this fall / winter.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 5:03 pm 
ya I thought it was closed for 2 more yrs......still it may be closed at the bridge......I am ok with that as it's not a problem to break out the gas scooter or dirtbike....and the boulder lake area really doesn't need more idiots leavin trash up there.....just a huge waste of money and time if it stays closed......

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 5:38 pm 
FG: The Tenas Creek road is slated to be opened next June, after repairs are complete. It'll be open to the trailhead, not the bridge.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 6:00 pm 
Meh.. Mediocre pics in a area of little interest. clown.gif Nice work you guys. Good stuff. up.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 9:48 pm 
Wow. That was fun. I am a big fan of the Dayhike Mike Plan, but I understand why we need a couple more layers. DHM where did you get that nugget on the Tenas opening? I'd like to take a trekking pole to the vandals backsides. smackbum.gif

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 10:15 pm 
thanks dayhikemike!....good to know more trashing of boulder lake is coming.. shakehead.gif .I wouldn't mind it being closed at the bridge...guess ya have to get past pear to not see trash.....

ORMoto.com
Uber Hike Noober

ORMoto.com
Uber Hike Noober
PostSat Jan 23, 2010 7:51 pm 
WOW ! What an amazing well documented trip ! I can't wait to start doing such hikes, gonna have to go down your list of TR's and make a check list ! Holler if you ever want a 3 wheel !

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 12:53 am 
Words do not exist to articulate how badly I wish I could have made this hike!!!! waah.gif waah.gif waah.gif waah.gif waah.gif waah.gif waah.gif waah.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
archerbrown
are we there yet

archerbrown
are we there yet
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 5:50 pm 
box lakes
I hope the trip did not kill you---getting accross the Suiattle was quite a accomplishment. I have gone to that area many times before the bridge got washed out and the hike up the hill to the first Box lake is a grunt--if you can find the scratch trail. Hope I can find the time late next summer to make it back there--nothing like a little bike and hike. LB

deerhunter

deerhunter
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 5:57 pm 
You better get up there in the next couple of years because Glacier Peak is gonna erupt Dec. 21 2012.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 5:58 pm 
deerhunter wrote:
Glacier Peak is gonna erupt Dec. 21 2012.
...less than a month after they reopen the road... moon.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
deerhunter

deerhunter
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 6:03 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
deerhunter wrote:
Glacier Peak is gonna erupt Dec. 21 2012.
...less than a month after they reopen the road... moon.gif
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif