Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lime Ridge High Route - Sept. 22-25, 2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 30, 2009 1:47 pm 
Havent been on the ole computer in a number of days and look what I find. Great pics and report.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Sep 30, 2009 1:49 pm 
I tried calling you before we left, buddy, but you'd already taken off for 11worth. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 30, 2009 2:09 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
I tried calling you before we left, buddy, but you'd already taken off for 11worth. wink.gif
Thanks Mike. I did Heather and Glasses lakes and Schaefer lake. Id have rather gone with you guys. Rats. Always wanted to do the Lime ridge hike.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Sep 30, 2009 2:19 pm 
No worries, BPJ. Heather and Glasses are pretty much the same as the Lime Ridge lakes anyway. headrub.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 10:21 am 
Checked notes/emails for this project over the years and recall that not only environmental red tape caused the initial delay, but as I mentioned earlier, casting about for funding, proving criteria for funding, being funded then funding being pulled out due to a technicality of criteria resulting in starting over…..all these things caused initial delay as well. So BigSteve is correct in that NEPA is not the only culprit in the delay of this or any other project. As I mentioned earlier, if folks would consider the various environmental Acts in place before popping off and demanding a new bridge or road every time one gets wiped out, they would know prime facie that repairs cannot happen immediately – they simply can’t. NEPA is government, the FS is government – Federal Highways is government – add these, plus the long off-season (late fall/winter/early spring) together and you have seven years of delay (thus far), and be glad it’s only that. Thus far.... wink.gif I found out that the car at the end of the road was authorized. Good thing no one jumped to jealous conclusions and made good on the threat to flatten tires. up.gif In other related news, the Whitechuck decision has been delayed due to NEPA requirements. moon.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 10:24 am 
Hey Kim, so what authorized business was the car doing up there? Just curious.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 10:35 am 
Miner's Ridge, wasn't it? devilsmile.gif Andy and Dale something-or-other? I'm just wondering why they didn't have their permit displayed if they were authorized to be up there. So nice of the FS to let Tom know that they were authorized after he called them to report a possible violation. Makes me feel like they're really working on our behalf. wink.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 10:41 am 
To be fair to the Darrington Ranger Station, I simply reported the vehicle and plate and left my phone number. If they were extremely busy I can understand why they didn't call back. When we returned there were several more cars where we parked so I wouldn't necessarily assume the official vehicle was the party of 2 that signed in to Miner's Ridge. But I am curious if use of a permit requires they are on official business or not.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 10:46 am 
There is a lot of contract work being done back there. Recall that the FS is doing extensive work on the Suiattle trail, the PCT, Milk Creek trail, and the Skyline Bridge replacement. Downey Creek trail has been undergoing a huge facelift the last couple of years as well. All these things might require a contractor going back there on occasion. What I did was pick up the phone and ask. Sure they could have called you back, but you guys, of all people, know that some people have an aversion to picking up the phone moon.gif – the FS reception desk is apparently no different. Whether or not the authorization was displayed I don’t know. It's not really an issue I choose to spend time nitpicking on. But now we know that authorized vehicles can be outright cars and not just ATV’s. I had assumed ATV's only.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 10:53 am 
We must have missed the extensive work on the Milk Creek Trail. clown.gif Seriously though, Downey or Suiattle make more sense. It's a long way to any of the other places being worked on.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 10:59 am 
Yah, they are a long ways. But the Suiattle Rd is the only access point, so though they're a long ways, that's it. I'm just glad that all this stuff is starting to move. In other news, the Green Mtn Lookout has been re-installed. up.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 11:07 am 
I assume everything was choppered in to work on the PCT. I'd be amazed if they moved equipment in from the end of the Suiattle. It wasn't fun carrying bikes up the ladder on the Downey Bridge, I just can't see them moving in any heavy equipment that way, and then what is it, 15-20 miles to the PCT?

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 11:08 am 
Is there a cool TR in here somewhere?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 11:20 am 
Shut up, Randy, we're busy. clown.gif Choppers are done on a waiver, so they don't chopper in each and every person. Doing so would result in objections from the public. Once the work really starts, they'll chopper in equipment & people. The contracted trail builders aren't necessarily bonzer backpackers. They won't chopper one guy in to survey, etc., and I know the FS personnel routinely walk in to those sites. Bike to the road end, walk 15-20 miles, stay overnight, check the site, gaze at the old growth trees and mountains, wallow in the rain, then walk out, then ride 11 miles to the rig - or stay for a work tour of 8 days, then out.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 11:29 am 
Got it, I guess NEPA road waivers are less problematic than wilderness chopper waivers. wink.gif