Forum Index > Food & Grub > Lower glycemic trail bars
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostTue Oct 13, 2009 12:00 pm 
Looks good, Sarbar. I love the way these bars have changed as they passed from cook to cook--and they'll no doubt keep changing!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Oct 27, 2009 12:33 pm 
Nutritional stats for this trail bar recipe
I tried my original recipe, except substituting stevia and have to agree the stevia isn't too bad (not very sweet, but also not much stevia after-taste). I think next time I might try 3 T of stevia instead of 2. But considering the abundance of negative comments about Splenda, I think I'm sold on using stevia. Thanks for being the guinea pig, Dogpatch! So just out of curiosity, I looked up the nutritional data for the ingredients in this recipe (assume my recipe, as opposed to Dogpatch's adaptation, except assuming the use of stevia only for the sweetener) and here is the nutritional profile for one bar (assuming the recipe is divided into 16 bars): Protein 7g Carbs 20g [note that these are total carbs, not net (ie after subtracting fiber)] Fiber 6g Fat 10g Portion of fat that consists of Omega-3 fats 2g Calories 299 And, as best I can figure, the glycemic load is 7 (i.e., pretty low, mostly from the oats and amaranth). Considering that even most insulin-resistant muscles will "chow down" on blood glucose during exercise (at least that's what I've read -- if someone more knowledgeable than me (easy!) would like to comment, I'd like feedback), probably these are pretty safe for people with higher blood sugar (although I can't comment on how they would be for diabetics). Considering that a 150 pound backpacker with a moderate load burns about 570 calories per hour (at least according to one source), you could eat two of these per hour and just break even on calories.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message