Forum Index > Trip Reports > Take a hike, eh? Mts. Erskine and Maxwell - 10-10-09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSat Oct 10, 2009 10:46 pm 
Happy Thanksgiving, to all of our Canadian friends! (Seawall Runner, David, Karen, etc.) They are so clever - planning their Thanksgiving so early to allow lots of time for Christmas shopping! I had never been to Salt Spring Island - so this would be an adventure. A friend's son was getting married on the island - now, that is either really neat or down-right dumb to have an outdoor wedding in mid-October! dizzy.gif (however, it turned out to be an absolutely spectacular -albeit nippy - day! up.gif ) Regardless, off I went - reservation in hand - for the ferry crossing from Tsawwassen to Long Harbor on the island. Thank goodness because all was not happy in B.C. On one of the busiest weekends of the year - a three-day weekend, no less (Thanksgiving is actually Monday, Oct. 12th) - FOUR scheduled runs were canceled! shakehead.gif Not a good sign. Fortunately, we were able to make our scheduled departure and get to the island with no difficulty - many folks were stranded on one side of the Gulf Islands or the other! Deciding that I needed to get a little leg-stretching in prior to the wedding festivities, I stopped by the Visitor Center (Centre) and asked for some recommendations on a few hikes. Now, mind you, they call these bumps "Mt. this or that" and they do rise some 2000' above sea level - but they are not your Cascade-type mountain. But, so be it - they were some prominence and I wanted to get out. Here's what Mt. Maxwell looks like from Fulford Harbor.
Mt. Maxwell
Mt. Maxwell
Zoom of Maxwell
Zoom of Maxwell
So, the nice gentleman at the Visitor Center recommended a couple of hikes - Mt. Erskine and Mt. Maxwell. Erskine would be first on my list - seemed easily doable in a couple of hours - and he said to me, "You'll see the trailhead easily from the road." shakehead.gif Not exactly obvious!
Can you find the trail head?????
Can you find the trail head?????
OH, that trail sign . . .
OH, that trail sign . . .
Well, on the second pass, I found it - and, in fact, another car was just pulling up as I was. It was about 4:00 p.m. - but it seemed like there was enough time to put this one under my belt, before the parties began. The start of the trail is a fairly steep pitch - kinda' a Mailbox approach! (so much for 10% grade!) I soon passed the others and was on my way . . .
Amen
Amen
Steep little puppy . . .
Steep little puppy . . .
The trail , . ,
The trail , . ,
Woodland wonder
Woodland wonder
Along the way, I noticed some pretty active work on the local vegetation . . .
Some hungry critter . . .
Some hungry critter . . .
It wasn't an exactly scenic route - but occasionally, I was treated to some views.
Lovely views on the way to the summit
Lovely views on the way to the summit
I noticed at one point what appeared to be Faldo's doings . . . not quite sure what this meant - but I would see another marking later on . . .
In the side of a rock . . .
In the side of a rock . . .
A Hobbit door?
A Hobbit door?
Not quite sure what this portal is . . .
Not quite sure what this portal is . . .
Now, the nice gentleman at the Visitor Center provided me with several trail descriptions that were a kind of route description - however, their sense of scale leaves a LOT to be desired! agree.gif I thought I was on the right route - but somehow, it didn't line up with the trail description - so, I just ignored it and made my way on my own - catching some nice views on occasion.
Lovely views
Lovely views
Looking southeast towards Baker . .
Looking southeast towards Baker . .
Looking east from Salt Spring
Looking east from Salt Spring
I finally ran out of "up" and arrived at this place that seemed to be the high point. Located there was a nice bench . . . with some views . . .
On the "summit"
On the "summit"
Cool clouds looking east
Cool clouds looking east
Views from the "summit"
Views from the "summit"
and then, there was what appeared to be a spot for a summit register - but then, I noticed that there was something more - it was a memorial to a dog! Well, soft touch that I am - I took a moment to read the register and the tribute - made me think that this special dog - Rosie - may be romping above with Sadie, Zachster, Crystal - and all of the other "wonderful" trail dogs that have been our companions.
Rest in peace, Rosie!
Rest in peace, Rosie!
Tribute to Rosie . . .
Tribute to Rosie . . .
Rosie's place
Rosie's place
"Summit" Register
"Summit" Register
I spent a moment in the solitude and lovely views and then proceeded on - ending up on totally the wrong trail - but that was no big deal - because I eventually came out on the main road - and just had to walk it a little ways back to my car. Along the way, however, there was another "hobbit" marker!
Another woodland mystery
Another woodland mystery
On Saturday, the wedding festivities wouldn't get under way until 2:00 p.m., so I decided to hike up Mt. Maxwell. Now, mind you, there is a perfectly good road that goes to the top of Maxwell, but there also are a number of trails, so, I took the foot path. It was lovely.
Trail to Maxwell
Trail to Maxwell
Big blow downs .. . .
Big blow downs .. . .
Not quite sure of the purpose . . .
Not quite sure of the purpose . . .
Long view of "perch"
Long view of "perch"
I did a circumnavigation of Maxwell - so I could do a loop. Again, not really a "summit" - but it was probably 2000' of gain altogether.
Reaching the summit . . .
Reaching the summit . . .
Looking down on the harbor
Looking down on the harbor
Views from Maxwell
Views from Maxwell
From Maxwell
From Maxwell
View from top of Maxwell
View from top of Maxwell
There is an interesting system of trail markers - finally figured it out as I was leaving the summit.
Trail marker
Trail marker
On my way down, I noticed that the Canucks like to have a little fun with us Yanks. For instance, I ran across this sign . . .
Simple enough . . .
Simple enough . . .
but
Dang, I could swear those were trees, not water . . .
Dang, I could swear those were trees, not water . . .
Oh well, all in good fun . . . In fact, that wasn't the only sign I found intriguing on my trip to Salt Spring . . . here are a few more.
Slow horses . . . not slow children
Slow horses . . . not slow children
????
????
Basketball in the road???
Basketball in the road???
Cute
Cute
???
???
Friendly folks , , ,
Friendly folks , , ,
I get this sign . . .
I get this sign . . .
??
??
Once off of Maxwell, I returned to the village of Ganges where there was a Saturday Market in full swing . . .
Ganges Saturday market . . .
Ganges Saturday market . . .
Pretty cool! BPJ - there are several lovely lakes here on the island - well worth the visit. And, there are lots and lots of views! A gorgeous place.
Lovely . . .
Lovely . . .
Lovely views
Lovely views
Pastoral, eh???
Pastoral, eh???
Nice change of pace. Here are some pics from the ferry ride this morning (Sunday)
Fulford
Fulford
Lovely Fulford Harbor
Lovely Fulford Harbor
From the ferry heading to Schwarz Bay (looking south)
From the ferry heading to Schwarz Bay (looking south)
Hard to see - but a HUGE field of pumpkinds
Hard to see - but a HUGE field of pumpkinds
God Save the Queen! winksmile.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jack's Mom

Jack's Mom
PostSun Oct 11, 2009 5:34 am 
Have been to that Ganges Saturday Market many times - that's a REAL trip just in it's self!

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostSun Oct 11, 2009 11:25 am 
You'll find a beautiful trail even in the GWN. tdd

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Oct 11, 2009 8:18 pm 
twodogdad wrote:
You'll find a beautiful trail even in the GWN. tdd
agree.gif up.gif How fortunate we are to have such beautiful places to go . . . water and mountains - doesn't get any better than that! winksmile.gif (Gus is still pouting because he got left behind - he would have enjoyed it.) s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostMon Oct 12, 2009 8:53 am 
great minds... wink.gif ... I too would have immediately reconnoitered the routes to higher ground the moment I stepped onto the island. Those Canuks do have a whimsical way of posting information, do they not? You never said what the little doors were? I'm dying of curiosity.........

'we don't have time for a shortcut'