Forum Index > Trip Reports > Shellrock Peak 10/10/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostSun Oct 11, 2009 7:56 pm 
Since I had an unexpected 3-day weekend (as in work hours cut - no more paid teacher work days) and a good weather forecast, I had rounded up a few people to go to Teeth of the Larch with me. Due to unforeseen circumstances, only one was left by Friday so off we went. It was a super long drive, but we enjoyed the colors and got out to hike at White Pass on the PCT for a couple of hours. We went to the NW Hiker camp but decided to move back down a bit because I was having a recurrence of my stupid stomach virus and felt better being off by ourselves for the evening. I didn't get much sleep with the tummy upset so I was glad to be able to sleep in where it was unbelievably quiet, but given the forecast, we were surprised to wake up to snow flurries and cloudy skies! The upper part of the road to the trailhead was covered in icy snow, but it was easily passable. Parts of the trail were also covered, but even on a cloudy day, this was beautiful. The views start right away and in spite of the chill, chill wind and snow flurries, we enjoyed the hike. We made a detour up Burnt Mountain; then back to the main trail. It was too cold to stay on the summit of Shellrock Peak, but we spent a few minutes enjoying the 360 degree views; and then an unexpected surprise - lots and lots of goats. They were really beautiful - not like the ones at Robin lake who were losing huge patches of fur but really white and about 30 of them. Unfortunately, we had to descend a bit to get out of the wind and had lunch below the summit. On the return, the goats were on the trail, but they soon moved out of the way. We then went to the NW Hiker camp and hung out for 4 hours. It was great to put some more faces to names. Sunday we went up near the microwave tower and explored the ridge up there. We walked along the 4X4 track which seems to go on forever. We hadn't seen any people looking like 4X4 types so we figured (rightly) that we would have the place to ourselves - incredible views, and we were able to look down on the NW Hikers site at one point. As we went by a campsite, we noticed flames in the fire pit and figured it was from the only people we had seen - two guys in a maroon Pathfinder. We used all of the rest of our drinking water putting it out as the wind could easily have whipped it further into the trees. Some people are so careless! rant.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Oct 12, 2009 8:24 am 
sorry about your tummy......at least you were able to hike and visit the teeth of the larch camp social. that's a heck of a lot of goats! more snow and these goats would be camouflaged!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message