Forum Index > Trip Reports > Travels with Trevor: Part II - Utah - PICS ADDED!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostThu Oct 29, 2009 9:41 pm 
This is Karen˛'s annual Cascades Fall Larch trip report. Ok scratch that, the larches were a week behind schedule this year and the weather forecast was quite unfavourable so Karen˛ decided to give the dates to me and I drove just a little farther south than what she originally had planned. hockeygrin.gif My faithful companion on this trip was Trevor. Trevor was a valuable asset to bring along as you can see from Part 1 Hoodoo You Love? #1 - Bryce Canyon
Wall Street
Wall Street
Nabajo Loop
Nabajo Loop
Thor's Hammer
Thor's Hammer
Bryce Canyon
Bryce Canyon
The Queens
The Queens
Queen's Garden
Queen's Garden
Entrance to the Garden
Entrance to the Garden
What You Talkin' 'Bout? - Willis Creek Canyon This was Karen˛'s suggestion. I was a bit worried about the road but I had no problems with a high clearance 2WD. It's too short to qualify as a hike and the canyon quite small but it makes for a nice photo op (don't go judging that by my photos)
Willis Creek Canyon
Willis Creek Canyon
Willis Creek Canyon
Willis Creek Canyon
Willis Creek Canyon
Willis Creek Canyon
Playing the Slots: Peek-A-Boo & Spooky Canyons I see a lot of professionals who have pictures of this slot canyon. How they manage to drag their gear through this corkscrew I have no idea. Trevor balked at the entrance to Peek-A-Boo and headed directly to Spooky. I joined him but only after I had I crawled my way through Peek-A-Boo, followed the cairned route to Spooky and not recognizing the entrance made a wrong turn and hiked all the way back.
Peek-A-Boo Canyon
Peek-A-Boo Canyon
The Land Before Time: Coyote Gulch When Trevor said his focus on this trip was fall colour my first thought was "Where will we find water?" and I remembered this trip report from Yana where she had followed a stream through a canyon. Upon further research I discovered that I would have to commit a minimum of two days (basically a third of our trip) and I started to waver on whether on not to do it. I wasn't blown away by any of the photos I'd seen but Yana and others who had done the trip raved about the experience so I took a chance on it. It was easily the highlight of our entire trip.
Jacob Hamblin Arch
Jacob Hamblin Arch
Coyote Gulch
Coyote Gulch
Now of course my photos certainly don't do the place justice but I doubt that even Trevor could pull it off. Lying on his back with a 5D and a 16-35mm lens he could barely capture a fraction of the massive amphitheater that contains the Jacob Hamblin Arch (a colossus in its own right.) Unlike other places in the Southwest this place is full of life. Around every corner was something new, a lush green garden would give way to bright yellow cottonwoods in prime fall colour. Cavernous red walls that resembled the inside of a volcano would give way to bright blue skies & slickrock waterfalls. Everywhere there was the trickle of water or the rustle of scampering deer. Truly a place that could never be captured by mere pixels and must be experienced in the flesh. Hoodoo You Love #2 - Devil's Garden We were a bit rushed having to cram all our canyoneering into the first two days because of a series of threatening forecasts. Sure enough by the time we had exited Coyote Gulch it had clouded over thus we had terrible lighting when we stopped to check out these hoodoos.
Edward Margiewicz wrote:
Where's the Beef: Calf Creek Falls After a several poor decisions on my part we found ourselves stuck along with a half dozen other hapless campers in the parking lot of the Calf Creek Recreation Area. The one bonus of this fiasco was that we were able to hit the trail at first light where we joined by the affable Edward Margiewicz of Tranquil Images Despite being such a 'cliche' destination I was pleasantly surprised by how impressive the falls were and how magnificent the setting. While the fall colour was a mixed bag on our trip we certainly hit Calf Creek at the peak time.
Calf Creek Rec Area
Calf Creek Rec Area
Calf Creek Amphitheatre
Calf Creek Amphitheatre
Calf Creek Falls
Calf Creek Falls
Master & Subject
Master & Subject
Reefer Madness - Capitol Reef The original plan was to spend a whole day in this mysterious park, taking the long rough road into Cathedral Valley. However sketchy forecasts nixed that idea and we quickly moved on.
Capitol Reef
Capitol Reef
Hoodoo You Love #3 - Goblin Valley This was a neat little area to explore for a couple hours.
Goblin Valley Overlook
Goblin Valley Overlook
Off He Goes
Off He Goes
Deep in Goblin Territory
Deep in Goblin Territory
Hoodoo You Love #4 - Canyonlands: Needles District I'd seen a lot of photos of this place, especially of Chesler Park but I had no idea that the 'needles' were actually hundreds of feet high. A really cool place and one I wish we had spent more time exploring, definitely worth a return trip.
Canyonlands
Canyonlands
Needles
Needles
Elephant Canyon
Elephant Canyon
Chesler Park
Chesler Park
Beat - Dead Horse Point I've seen a lot of photos of this place but I suspect now that they must have been taken at sunrise as I had a real difficult time with the position of the sun.
Dead Horse Point
Dead Horse Point
That is What We Are - Canyonlands: Islands in the Sky Yet another night that ended in frustration when we couldn't find a place to camp. However thanks to Trevor we took a chance and plunked down at a prime spot right in the National park. It was an excellent place to star gaze with a crystal clear 360 degree view. As luck would have we also got to witness the onset of the Orionid meteor shower. Daybreak was another story as the sun rose directly across from the White Rim
White Rim
White Rim
Mesa Arch
Mesa Arch
Golden - Arches While Islands in the Sky is a bit of a one trick pony - Arches itself is like an entire circus. Parking was non-existent and people were everywhere. Trevor was not amused but I coaxed him to go to the most cliche spot of them all Delicate Arch because it was the one place Karen & I had missed out on because we had arrived AFTER sunset.
Delicate Arch
Delicate Arch
Thank you Trevor for the “Epic Trip”. Perfect weather, beautiful scenery and gigs worth of memories and photos (Karen˛: it was real a chore to process these photos - ugh!). I never thought I’d say “I’m glad I didn’t get to go to the Teeth of Larch Social this year!”

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reserved

reserved
PostThu Oct 29, 2009 9:44 pm 
Reserved for Trevor

reserved

reserved
PostThu Oct 29, 2009 9:44 pm 
Reserved for Trevor Anderson Lies

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostThu Oct 29, 2009 9:50 pm 
Great pics David. It looks like it was a fun trip with great scenery. Just so you know a few of us might have been trying to convince Karen that it was okay to buy a new camera since you had the nice one...

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 29, 2009 9:57 pm 
Nice job! BTW, if you think Arches is a circus try the Grand Canyon. wink.gif Actually, the crowds at Arches thin considerably the further you hike in (or if you venture off the beaten path).

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Oct 29, 2009 10:33 pm 
I've gotta get there. Some of your pics are damn near surreal. eek.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostThu Oct 29, 2009 11:29 pm 
Nice! up.gif Hey, those places are on my to-do list: Peek-A-Boo, Spooky, Devil's, Calf Creek, Goblin hmmm.gif I dunno what you're talking about, we didn't see anybody at Arches in March tongue.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Trevor

Trevor
PostFri Oct 30, 2009 12:20 am 
Having the opportunity to do these trips was incredibly random, but I was grateful to tag along. Thanks again. I think David, in his well-composed report, is mistaking a rather comatose state for "not amused" after the accumulated wear and tear from our makeshift sleeping quarters. Considering the arches was- after all-on the way out. Since sunset was earlier and it got dark abruptly, I spent most of my time trying to find a rough ratio of what lying down at an angle with my eyes shut would equate to in actual-unconscious-sleep hours. At least I wasn't worried about having my tent raided by a moose this time. I was actually getting more amusement from watching the tourists stand by the arch turn around and yell to no one in particular : "you can take my picture now!" off into the distance to the row of various groups of people- most with cameras- sitting with me at the top. I thought the odds of a lens cap falling down from the delicate arch area to the abyss below and a crow flying through the arch had to be around 100% in our brief time there, so I waited around for a bit, and almost instantly both happened.

ree

ree
PostFri Oct 30, 2009 10:40 am 
VERY COOL! I've been to Peek-A-Boo and Calf Creek! Wonderful, magical area!! Those falls are mighty impressive! up.gif

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostFri Oct 30, 2009 11:07 am 
Very nice. Certainly a whirlwind tour. My head is spinning just from reading the TR. up.gif up.gif

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Oct 30, 2009 11:13 am 
David, I think I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again: you sell yourself short in the picture taking department. Very nice! In fact I like your shots of Bryce (the only place in your trip I've been to) better than the ones I took. Trevor, I can't wait for your offerings. The small sampling on offer in Flickr (as of now) is lovely. (I'd also like to complement you on your new, slightly more understated style.)

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Trevor

Trevor
PostFri Oct 30, 2009 3:10 pm 
Thanks for the sentiments, Gali. Long-term photography provides a great reflection of personal change. Bryce Canyon:
Willis Creek Slot Canyon/ Coyote Gulch:
Valley of the Goblins:
Canyonlands/ Dead Horse Point:
Sunburst at Sunrise In Canyonlands' National Park.
Sunburst at Sunrise In Canyonlands' National Park.
I have more to post here and on karen's report, but I seem to have an uncanny ability of going out and adding more to a growing raw-processing queue.

jhiker

jhiker
PostFri Oct 30, 2009 6:38 pm 
Trevor, It's absolutely amazing what you can do with a camera. Your pictures are stunning.

Trevor

Trevor
PostFri Oct 30, 2009 10:52 pm 
Thanks for the kind words, Jhiker.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Oct 31, 2009 8:21 am 
Great pics up.gif and Utah is awesome up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160