Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Big Four: the Ice Caves, the Inn and the area ..... HELP!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Nov 16, 2009 4:42 pm 
Another very useful contribution, Randy, particularly the December 2004 shot. That allows us to bracket 2005's near disappearance to get some idea of just how much variation is possible in just one season. I've used your May 2005 pic, as well, to create the following comparison.
Big Four Avalanche Cone ------------- 
Dec 2004 ... Sept 2005 ... May 2006
Big Four Avalanche Cone ------------- Dec 2004 ... Sept 2005 ... May 2006

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Nov 16, 2009 11:11 pm 
This is the opposite side from the ice caves but it was this view that got me interested in trying to climb it from the south side. I don't have the date when I took it.
Big 4 from Vesper-Sperry taken sometime in the 1960's
Big 4 from Vesper-Sperry taken sometime in the 1960's

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Nov 17, 2009 11:12 am 
Skagit River Journal had a presentation of Juleen's photos in 2008 and this page has several of them with notes on their location.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostThu Nov 19, 2009 7:54 pm 
That is a cool old b & W Schroder. up.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Nov 19, 2009 10:29 pm 
Scrooge wrote:
Big Four Avalanche Cone ------------- 
Dec 2004 ... Sept 2005 ... May 2006
Big Four Avalanche Cone ------------- Dec 2004 ... Sept 2005 ... May 2006
2004/2005 was a very low snow winter for the Cascades, but you all knew that.

AR

AR
PostSun Nov 22, 2009 12:40 pm 
Schroder, great pics! up.gif up.gif Really shows what was. Amazing what can be done without the enviro/safety-nuts. Scrooge, watch the red lines on the pics...some here on this site go angry like bulls when they see them. At least in my experiences.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Nov 23, 2009 8:40 pm 
Hulksmash went out to Big Four on Sunday, in the snow, and what he found is so surprising that I want to add it to the history.
Quote:
I hung out at the end of the trail for a little over two hours. It was quite entertaining. It was snowing like crazy and there was lots of small avi activity all over. In fact, there was something falling every 5 minutes. Bumped into an ice climber there. Yes he was climbing on the it even with all the avi activity. I struck up a conversation with him. Apparently he stayed the night in the parking lot. Even over night there was the sound of avi activity every 5 to 10 minutes. I noticed that the moat behind the avi cone is now filled, and starting to spill over the rest of the avi cone. Interestingly according to the ice climber, the moat was not full yesterday.
2009 Big Four Avalanche Cone, 11-22-09 - Hulksmash photo
2009 Big Four Avalanche Cone, 11-22-09 - Hulksmash photo
Visible on the left and right of the snow cone is freshly deposited avi snow, which has reached as far as the base. However, no new has reached the center. Here is what I observed. To the right of the snow cone, is the most active in terms of avi, probably because the rock wall is too steep for much to accumulate before falling off. To the center, least active, but when it does let loose, the avi volume is much larger. However, when it hits the peak of that cone it spits to the left and the right. At least for now.
I'm surprised that we get avalanche activity so early in the season. Made I should know better, but I didn't expect it. ..... I am amazed that there's already been enough snow deposited to fill in the voids at the top and along the righthand side. It's making progress on the lefthand side, too, but there I guess it has to partially fill the Cathedral Room and steeple, before it can close off the Belfry entrance and complete filling in that side. If I can make myself do it, I've got to make another trip to the back of the Ice Cave. eek.gif What happens in there, as the new cycle starts, is one of the things I'm most curious about. Update
B4 Avalanche Cone 12-16-09 - photo by Logbear
B4 Avalanche Cone 12-16-09 - photo by Logbear

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Feb 02, 2010 6:04 pm 
Got a new one, today, from Dalekz, for June 1979, which gives us an entry in the middle of one of the big spaces in the record.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 pm 
From Dickerman:
February 9, 2010
February 9, 2010

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Feb 11, 2010 1:55 pm 
Randy, that is one very fine picture. I've never seen anything that shows the relationship of the various ice cave entrances so well. Please make a note that we'll need another one, some year after we've had at least normal snow accumulation, and after the caves have opened up enough to to be clearly visible. wink.gif

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostThu Feb 11, 2010 2:46 pm 
I looked through what i had for the 1979 pic. Probably was taken around the 1st of June. These are the only other Pics I have. Shows new snow above
big four 1979==107
big four 1979==107
big four 1979==108
big four 1979==108
In looking for those slides I came across these from later time in June 1977. Don't know why I took these particular slides with no frontal of the ice cave. I have tried looking through one my partners slides but they are in real order so a big mess. Hope these will help in the long run
big four 1977==109
big four 1977==109
big four 1977==110
big four 1977==110
big four 1977==111
big four 1977==111

Logbear

Logbear
PostSun Apr 11, 2010 2:08 pm 
I've heard 3 other stories about the origin of the name Big Four. 1) Most bars/taverns at the time sold "three finger shots" of whiskey. But the bar at the Big Four Hotel sold "four finger shots". Maybe they sold 4 finger shots because of the name of the mountain. 2) There were 4 brothers that trapped and prospected in the area and they were all big men. They were known as the "Big Four" 3) An unnamed prospector had an accident with a blasting cap that blew off one of his fingers leaving him with 4 fingers. Maybe he became the bartender. Here are some pictures I took Friday April 9th, 2010.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
iron

iron
PostWed Apr 14, 2010 9:44 am 
you're forgetting one critical photo

BillyTheMountain

BillyTheMountain
PostFri Sep 17, 2010 2:48 pm 
Big Four mountain has 4 summits from the south, 5 summits from the north, It can be seen from Seattle(from the south) so it got named Big FOUR. This is stricly my observational guess at how Big Four got named. Most peaks and summit names in the NW come from lazy conquerors that sat on their ships in Puget Sound and stole the map of the mind from the locals by creating a map and renaming all the high and low points after their usually Navy (lovers) back in merry old England. Example, Rainier was a rear admirel who never saw the mountain. Get it? Ask me for more info on, The Map Of The Mind.

We are all brothers in the mountains. Psalm 113
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostWed Oct 27, 2010 4:17 pm 
1988, probably mid to late summer. I'll post more as soon as I get prints from the negatives.
img002
img002
img001
img001
img010
img010
img009
img009
img008
img008
img007
img007