Previous :: Next Topic
whitebark

whitebark
PostFri Nov 13, 2009 1:29 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nordique

nordique
PostFri Nov 13, 2009 3:44 pm 
Thanks for the info on the Zigzag trail, especially the elevation of the highpoint (for those of us who want to stay under the snowline). Any idea of roundtrip miles for the two options you mention?

whitebark

whitebark
PostFri Nov 13, 2009 4:48 pm 
Hi nordique, From Ollalie SP lawn parking to the lower logging road is a pretty short hike of less than 4 miles round trip, and 1100 ' of elevation gain. Getting to the main Hall Creek road is another half mile and 600 feet of gain. There are some good views from there.

nordique

nordique
PostSat Feb 13, 2010 9:02 pm 
Four of us tried out the ZigZag Trail today, mostly avoiding rain, to the highpoint at--I assume--the Hall Creek Road, the second logjam, in part because I enjoyed the Change Creek Trail up to Hall Point last weekend (my third time up this fine trail). To the first logjam, the trail shows a lot of work, though it's still a bit rough. The second half is more like a scramble or climbers' route, at least when wet, and not a good path for a group. We didn't see a route beyond the second logjam so we retreated to the first one for lunch and our return to the cars. Photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nordique/sets/72157623408674246/

whitebark

whitebark
PostSat Feb 13, 2010 11:06 pm 
Hey Nordique, looks like you found a good way to get some exercise on a crummy rainy day. The big payoff of the ZigZag trail is access to the Hall Creek valley. Last summer, I walked the Hall Ck road all the way to the ridgeline overlooking the Cedar River, walked west on the road that runs along the ridgeline, then back down the Great Wall and Change Creek. Gotta do something about that annoying log jam just below the Hall Creek road... at least lop and flag a decent route.

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostSun Feb 14, 2010 8:47 pm 
After a weekend of cragging at Exit 38 we started getting rained out and did this trail as a trainer. Fun stuff.

North by Northwest
whitebark

whitebark
PostWed Feb 24, 2010 12:48 pm 
Re: ZigZag Trail
I've cleared a path through the logjam, so it is much easier to get to the Hall Creek Road now.
nordique wrote:
Four of us tried out the ZigZag Trail today, mostly avoiding rain, to the highpoint at--I assume--the Hall Creek Road, the second logjam, in part because I enjoyed the Change Creek Trail up to Hall Point last weekend (my third time up this fine trail). To the first logjam, the trail shows a lot of work, though it's still a bit rough. The second half is more like a scramble or climbers' route, at least when wet, and not a good path for a group. We didn't see a route beyond the second logjam so we retreated to the first one for lunch and our return to the cars. Photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nordique/sets/72157623408674246/

Fedor
whitebark

whitebark
PostWed Aug 04, 2010 2:51 pm 
August 2010 update: the lower portion of the Zig Zag trail is much better than it used to be--it's getting to be a real trail. The upper portion, between the lower and upper logging roads, is being improved with new tread and switchbacks, on going work.

Fedor