Forum Index > Food & Grub > Stuffing recipe
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ree

ree
PostFri Nov 20, 2009 10:27 am 
Anybody got a real good stuffing recipe? I want to make one that is nice and wet/moist... like the texture of bread pudding. I'm open to putting exotic stuff in it too. I've heard of one recipe that uses oysters... tho not sure I want to freak my guests out with that one. I really want to make an epic stuffing. Last years seemed to dry, kind of disappointing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostFri Nov 20, 2009 7:23 pm 
That " bread pudding" consistency usually comes from packing down the moist mixture into the bird. Most recipes recommend packing stuffing loosely in the bird, or cooking it in a separate dish, but if you want that stuff that stands up on its own, and you can slice it, you gotta stuff the bird pretty full. Always start with dry bread, you need it to slop up all the juices. If you dont already mix in a raw egg or two, then do that. Saute onions in butter and pour the liquid mix into the breadcrumbs. Use a can of chicken stock in the dressing if you're cooking a dry bird, like a big ol' tom turkey. Oysters I dunno, but tart apples and black walnuts both seem to compliment a good traditional stuffing.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Nov 20, 2009 7:30 pm 
Bread pudding constituency is achieved more by making a savory bread pudding than baking it in a turkey (and WAY less chance of food poisoning). As well, your bread used will determine how moist it is. Cheap white bread or commercial croutons that they sell to suckers = dry stuffing. So think lots of eggs, that are incorporated into your liquid of choice. As well any veggies used should be cooked before hand up.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Nov 20, 2009 7:32 pm 
I might add that the standard these days is to NOT stuff a turkey. It just isn't the best choice for food safety! paranoid.gif

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat Nov 21, 2009 1:06 am 
I have a vast collection of Gourmets, Bon Appetites, Food and Wines, Fine Cookings etc. for Nov and Dec for the past 10 years or so. Feel free to stop by.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
ree

ree
PostSat Nov 21, 2009 8:40 am 
Thanks, folks. "Savory bread pudding?" Never heard of that. So if I don't use cheap white bread or croutons, what do I use? Buy a loaf of sourdough and shred it up? Should it be fresh bread? Also, I was watching one of those weekday morning shows, and the mo said you should use milk or cream instead of water cos it'll evaporate and dry out. Not sure if that's true or not. I've got to feed 16 people with the bird, forcing me to get a very large one. It'll take too long to cook if I stuff it, so I'll need to make the stuffing separate from the turkey.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Nov 21, 2009 9:10 am 
Most tasty breads work smile.gif Even better are rich breads - fatty ones full of eggs! You can always cut it up and cube it, then let it get stale overnight.

ree

ree
PostSat Nov 21, 2009 12:10 pm 
Thanks, Sarbar. I've been trollling allrecipes.com and they pretty much say the same thing you did about the bread (using thick European breads instead of the mushy Wonderbread, white trash American bread.)

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Nov 21, 2009 3:57 pm 
Corn bread makes a great dressing, too. Roasted, peeled and chopped chestnuts make a great addition. So does a handful of raw cranberries (which cook while the dressing bakes)--a tart and colorful accent. Basically, though, your dressing will be as good as the bread you put into it. I stopped stuffing turkeys years ago (while my younger children were still home). The turkey cooks faster and is just as tasty if you fill the body cavity with onions, garlic, celery, carrots and lots of herbs. Consider mashing or blending these to put into the gravy. You can make a broth with the neck and giblets (I discard the liver, though), plus lots of herbs and veggies, the night before to use in the dressing.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Nov 21, 2009 4:23 pm 
Psssst! On the roasted chestnuts - you can get them all ready to go at Trader Joe's on the shelf up.gif Woo-woo!

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Nov 24, 2009 12:47 pm 
ree wrote:
Anybody got a real good stuffing recipe? ........ I'm open to putting exotic stuff in it too. I've heard of one recipe that uses oysters... tho not sure I want to freak my guests out with that one. ........ I really want to make an epic stuffing.
I'm always a little reluctant to hit guests with a dish I haven't tried, myself. hmmm.gif That said, here's the family recipe for Oyster Stuffing that's been my favorite part of Thanksgiving for more than sixty years (as slightly modified by me). Note: a double recipe will exactly stuff a 20 pound bird (packed, including crop). Measurements can be very approximate. ............................... OYSTER STUFFING ................................. 1 10 oz jar Oysters*, chopped (6 to 8 pieces, should be identifiable but not overwhelming) >>>>> 1/2 lb Chicken Livers, sauteed and chopped (replaces tough old giblets) 3/4 cup Celery, chopped 1/2 cup Onion, chopped 1/8 cup Parsley (flakes) 1/4 cup Butter 1 ea Egg, beaten 1/2 tsp Salt 1/2 tsp Paprika 4 cups Bread (partly dry French Bread, use about 3 to 1, insides to crust) * Oyster stock (the juice from the jar) (optional) - makes stuffing wetter, but "stronger" >>>> Turkey juice, for basting any stuffing baked separately. Melt butter and saute Chicken Livers. Remove from pan, chop (and separate out some for gravy). Saute onion in same pan. Add celery and saute lightly. In a very large bowl, mix all ingredients - except bread. Last, tear bread into more or less bite-size chunks, add to other ingredients, and mix in (by hand) until bread is moderately moist but not mushed. >>>> Mix should not be homogenous! Stuff turkey. smile.gif Bake excess in buttered pie plate at 325* till crusty, about 45 minutes. In recent years, I've been removing the stuffing from the turkey and baking it, too (in a buttered casserole, uncovered). I've decided I like it better a little dryer (and crustier) than it is when it comes out of the bird. rolleyes.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Nov 24, 2009 6:35 pm 
I mentioned chestnuts above, but walnuts are also good (and take a lot less preparation!). Walnuts go well with cranberries, too! Be sure the stuffing is really moist, whether or not you use eggs. (Unless, like Scrooge, you really prefer dry stuffing.) Finally, use plenty of herbs. I personally prefer Herbes de Provence, which contain the usual (thyme, rosemary, savory, marjoram, sage) plus a touch of lavender. Sounds weird, but tastes really good! Speaking of walnuts and cranberries, if you want a nontraditional dessert, the Safeway bakery is featuring an excellent cranberry-walnut cheesecake this week. (No cooking needed, which at this late date might be important, especially if you have to work tomorrow.) Happy Thanksgiving!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Nov 24, 2009 8:22 pm 
grannyhiker said
Quote:
Be sure the stuffing is really moist, whether or not you use eggs. (Unless, like Scrooge, you really prefer dry stuffing.)
No.No.No.No. No! banghead.gif Grampahiker does not prefer "dry" stuffing. Quite the contrary. What I said was, "Drier than when it comes out of the bird". If there was such a thing as a relative wetness/dryness scale, on a scale of 1 to 10, dry to wet, my ideal would be about 6.5. clown.gif Which happens to be the consistency of perfect bread pudding. rolleyes.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Nov 24, 2009 8:40 pm 
If you need a bucket o' gravy at the table, then the stuffing is too dry lol.gif lol.gif

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Nov 24, 2009 9:49 pm 
Sorry, Scrooge, I obviously misinterpreted your previous post. Crispy on top is nice. Nice and moist in the middle is also good. As Sarbar says, you should need a minimum of gravy. One more recipe, and probably off-topic because it's not stuffing. The late Wild Oats chain always carried in their deli at holiday time a delicious dish called Maple Roasted Root Vegetables. They never would give me the recipe, but I found it on their web site. Since Wild Oats was bought out by Whole Paycheck, who promptly closed our local store, I have no hesitation in giving out the recipe! You probably want to cut the amounts in half unless you're feeding an enormous crowd. Maple Roasted Root Vegetables 1 1/4 lb. rutabagas 1 1/4 lb. yams 1 lb. carrots 1 lb. parsnips 1 lb. turnips 1 lb. yellow firm potatoes 8 cloves garlic, halved 1 cup maple syrup 4 TB. balsamic vinegar 3 TB. olive oil salt freshly ground black pepper Prepare veggies by scrubbing those with thin skins and peeling those with tough skins. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Mix maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and heat to boiling. Toss vegetables in the maple glaze and place in a single layer in two roasting pans. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in a 425* F oven for 40 minutes or until tender and light brown.