Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What do YOU drive to the trailhead?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostMon Nov 30, 2009 4:11 pm 
Bozo wrote:
A Pius.
You drive a Pope?! Cool! up.gif

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
The Bubbly Hiker

The Bubbly Hiker
PostMon Nov 30, 2009 5:40 pm 
Sorry but the Pope doesn't have a prayer to produce blessed smug like my Pius rig. Although he'd fit in at Robe, doncha think?

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Nov 30, 2009 6:14 pm 
2006 Subaru Forester with Wintercat XT tires which I leave on year round. I have been very pleased with it.

Living in the Anthropocene
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Nov 30, 2009 6:26 pm 
How do you like those Wintercats? Smooth ride? Quiet? Tread life? I'm in the market for new tires, and though I am happy with the Toyo Spectrums that are being replaced (after almost 60,000 miles), I am looking for an upgrade.

touron

touron
PostMon Nov 30, 2009 9:14 pm 
I saw the Pope at Trinity once. He was exploring the old ghost town before embarking to Cloudy Pass. That day he was driving a Buick Skylark. I drive a Civic, and have had no problems, but have never driven it to places like Dingford Creek. Perhaps Dingford is most troublesome to Fords though.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Land Cruiser

Land Cruiser
PostTue Dec 01, 2009 1:43 pm 
I take my allroad of course!

braincloud
Summit Seeker

braincloud
Summit Seeker
PostTue Dec 08, 2009 12:32 pm 
I drive my '08 Rubicon to the trailhead, or on the trail if I can. Also, with no top or doors in the summer time, trailhead break-ins aren't really an issue since there's nothing of value in there.

MyCrookedPath.com The light at the end of my tunnel is a police car.
fwb

fwb
PostTue Dec 08, 2009 2:50 pm 
I drive my buddies crazy... I save the rough TH roads for my Jetta TDI -best if loaded with five people and packs.

Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostWed Dec 23, 2009 5:01 pm 
How long before we see one of these in line at the Starbucks drive-thru? lol.gif
Quote:
Army's new all-terrain vehicle debuts in Afghanistan

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.

PostWed Dec 23, 2009 5:28 pm 
sarbar wrote:
furthur wrote:
I don't knock wood, but I do have AAA. Wondering if the Big Toe can make it up to rescue us if ever needed, though.
Read your membership agreement carefully. Our AAA agreement says no to FS roads. You have to get the car to the highway. I gave a tow off my membership to Hoosierdaddy this fall when his Suburban died in the middle of BFE. We were lucky and happened on a group of cops doing a SAR training on the FS road and one rope towed us to the highway. AAA sent the tow truck that got HD back to home, literally on the dot 100 miles. The dispatcher at AAA DID ask if we were on the pavement and not on the FS road (unpaved). HD was very grateful for that tow I can tell you. It would have been an expensive tow to get it home.
A friend of mine stuck his vehicle in the middle of nowhere on the Colville National Forest on a horrible road in the snow. His insurance company refused to pay initially. He then pointed out that he was on a county road. During the 1930's Stevens County turned over acres and acres of private land to the Forest Service since it was worthless. The county, however, got funds from Washington state, based on the miles of county road. So they kept the roads under county jurisdiction. There are plenty of dirt roads in this state that are county roads.

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
CRoberts

CRoberts
PostThu Dec 31, 2009 6:48 pm 
I drive an '03 2wd Nissan Frontier....hoping I never have to encounter nasty road conditions I have borrowed my bros xterra before for snowy conditions.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostThu Dec 31, 2009 8:09 pm 
Toonces wrote:
How long before we see one of these in line at the Starbucks drive-thru? lol.gif
This looks adequate for most if not all of the logging roads in SW British Columbia. up.gif on edit: this company (founded in 1917) is different from that company, b'gosh, which was founded some years earlier, in 1895. But both companies were founded in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Apr 28, 2015 12:35 pm 
How bout this for a trailhead car that I saw at Barlow Pass... Nothing like an Audi RS5 complete with low clearance and low profile 275/30 ZR tires on 20 inch rims. Granted this car never had to leave pavement (assuming it came from Granite Falls and not Darrington)...
Trailhead car.. LOL!
Trailhead car.. LOL!
Trailhead car.. (NOT)..
Trailhead car.. (NOT)..
Nice low profile tires on trailhead car.
Nice low profile tires on trailhead car.

Brucester

Brucester
PostTue Apr 28, 2015 1:42 pm 
That's a nice Audi! I once saw a BMW motorcycle at Granite TH one winter in the snow. Didn't check if it had studded tires but it seemed ballsy never the less. Whatever gets you there....

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostTue Apr 28, 2015 2:22 pm 
I took my now 20 year old car to Harts Pass last summer. Was happy that my car is a small car - on Dead Horse Point - and not a big SUV with high clearance etc. I was able to cozy up to the wall as I was going up to the campground, and it was a painless experience. And on the way back down I was again happy that I had a small car, because scootching-over to the empty side in a small car, to let a huge SUV pass, is a happier experience than two big SUVs duking it out for space, when there's 1,000' of emptiness to the right. Gah. My only worry really is the tires. I know that there are no puncture-proof tires out there, but tires really are the weakest link in any trail vehicle. I have never had a flat out on the trail - but nor do I want to. What do you all have for tires, and are there any recommended 'trail tires' that I should look at for this coming summer?