Forum Index > Trail Talk > Email your comments by 5:00 today! Protect the Reiter Forest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JoeB

JoeB
PostFri Dec 04, 2009 2:07 pm 
I am posting an email I just received from the Washington Wilderness Coalition asking for emails to be sent today (Friday, Dec. 4) to protect land near Wallace Falls and the Wild Skies Wilderness. I have sent an email. Please send one if you can. I would also like to recommend signing up for the Washington Wilderness Coalition news letter. It seems to come less than once a month and always has interesting news. Thanks, Joe ________________________________________ From: Washington Wilderness Coalition [mailto:Washington_Wilderness_Coalition@mail.vresp.com] Sent: Friday, December 04, 2009 12:20 PM Subject: Email your comments by 5:00 today! Protect the Reiter Forest. view this email in a browser http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/304913/e121eeaaf7/1223008667/637ce33b25/ PROTECT THE REITER FOREST-NEXT TO WILD SKY WILDERNESS-FROM ORV DAMAGE Please take a minute to send an email TODAY to save Washington State’s Reiter Forest from off-road vehicle (ORV) damage. We understand that ORV users are flooding the Washington State Dept. of Natural Resources (DNR) with email comments, including ORVers from out-of-state, and we need to counter that with emails from many individual non-motorized recreationists and conservationists. DNR is taking public comments on its Draft Recreation Plan for Reiter Forest. The comment deadline is TODAY (Friday Dec.4) at 5:00 PM Pacific time. We like DNR’s plan because it significantly REDUCES the acreage open to ORVs, for good reason. A year ago ORVers expected the entire Forest would be designated as an ORV sportspark, so they are upset about the proposed limits. They are also upset because a month ago, DNR temporarily closed the entire Forest to any ORV use, to allow for restoration this winter and spring to repair ORV-caused damage (the first time Reiter has ever been entirely closed to ORVs). We also like DNR’s plan because it helps protect adjacent wildlands from ORV trespass – the new Wild Sky Wilderness, Wallace Falls State Park, and Forks of the Sky State Park are all adjacent to Reiter Forest, and trespass and vandalism does occur. We like the designation of non-motorized areas within Reiter Forest, to protect the land and wildlife and provide year-round, lower-elevation non-motorized recreation. We need to support DNR’s efforts to protect public resources, even while we urge them to conduct a full EIS. DNR’s Reiter Forest plan documents can be viewed at: Click Here to View Plan Documents WHAT YOU CAN DO: See below for talking points, and THANKS for helping us to protect Reiter Forest! Send your email comments to: sepacenter@dnr.wa.gov Subject line: Draft Reiter Foothills Forest Recreation Plan -- File 09-111001 Key points: * Support DNR’s plan to limit ORV use to 1,100 acres of the 10,000-acre Reiter Forest, due to extensive past damage caused by ORVs, to prevent future damage throughout Reiter Forest, and to prevent ORV trespass into the adjacent Wild Sky Wilderness, Wallace Falls State Park, and Forks of the Sky State Park. * Support DNR’s plan to restore and repair the horrendous damage caused by ORVs. * Support DNR’s current temporary closure to ORV use, to allow for restoration this winter and spring. When Reiter is re-opened, DNR should not allow 4x4 “tube buggies” that have killed many trees at Reiter by stripping the bark off the trunks as they squeeze through the forest. * Support DNR’s plan to provide non-motorized recreation at Reiter, in areas separate from those open to ORVs. * Ask DNR to develop non-motorized trails to Lake Isabel in Wild Sky Wilderness, along the May Creek waterfalls, along “Vertigo Rim” atop the Index Town Wall, and to the east side of Wallace Falls. These trails will provide year-round, lower-elevation recreation to many people. The State’s surveys have always shown that non-motorized trail recreationists are the majority, and greatly outnumber ORV recreationists. * Ask DNR to study the merits of creating a Wild Wallace Natural Resource Conservation Area (NRCA) in the portion of Reiter Forest between May Creek and Wallace Falls. * Ask DNR to prepare a full Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) to analyze site-specific ORV impacts, past practices, and the restoration, mitigation, usage limits, enforcement and funding that are needed in the future. Washington Wilderness Coalition 305 N 83rd St. Seattle, Washington 98103 Read the VerticalResponse marketing policy.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Dec 04, 2009 2:18 pm 
I'm afraid I disagree strongly with the current stance of the DNR and the Wilderness Coalition on this. Let me make it clear, I don't have any kind of ORV and I don't want to be in any place they are. The Reiter area has been the domain of ORV's for 50 years & even now with the temporary closure, they are seeking out more pristine areas in the National Forest and causing damage. They've left Wallace Falls alone all this time and your suggestion that the State Park and the Wilderness Area is threatened is unfounded. I say, let them have their space and keep them there.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Dec 04, 2009 2:30 pm 
How much wilderness damge do off road vehicles cause? Sound, smoke pollution, more people, ect. If you ask me sound almost as bad as the people that drive up service roads (hint hint, a good majority of hikers) which can make one wonder, perhaps hiking is a contribute to misrupting of the wilderness, or atleast the transportation to get there. Or perhaps its the part about creating more off trail stuff which involves more cutting trees from the land?

JimK

JimK
PostFri Dec 04, 2009 2:32 pm 
I'm with Schroder all the way on this.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Dec 04, 2009 2:37 pm 
Same here. Buffer zones should be within the boundary, not outside it.

Backcountry

Backcountry
PostFri Dec 04, 2009 2:45 pm 
As a dual user of our public lands- both as an avid hiker and as an ATV racer/rider, I fully support what Schroeder has to say. The usage will simply displace to other areas. If you dont want ORVs riding in "your" XYZ, I strongly suggest having places to go to and ride like Reiter Pit.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Dec 04, 2009 2:53 pm 
Ditto the above. I'm with Schroeder and company.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Irate Bufferwatcher

Irate Bufferwatcher
PostFri Dec 04, 2009 3:04 pm 
What would Harvey do? Ah, hell, I'm with Schroder and gang with this one.

Harvey

Harvey
PostFri Dec 04, 2009 3:13 pm 
Don't be haven them off trail vehicles in the wilderness, its bad for the enviroment!

Nomad

Nomad
PostFri Dec 04, 2009 3:31 pm 
I also agree with Schroeder but I do think that all ORV riders should be implanted with a chip so we can make sure they don’t ride up the falls. biggrin.gif

"Of all the fire mountains which, like beacons, once blazed along the Pacific Coast, Mount Rainier is the noblest." - John Muir "If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads." - Anatole France
Spotly

Spotly
PostFri Dec 04, 2009 3:46 pm 
I get skeptical about these last-minute things. Maybe I should be more involved and informed up front. In any case, I never sign this "must do it now" stuff. I see the request has more details on "what to do" than on what the problem is.

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostFri Dec 04, 2009 4:33 pm 
Intl. Joe wrote:
Send your email comments to: sepacenter@dnr.wa.gov
Subject line: Draft Reiter Foothills Forest Recreation Plan -- File 09-111001 Don't forget to send your comments to the DNR today! Yup, I agree with Schroder too. I'm not an ORV person but I think in fairness, we should support ORV use of the area. They've been using it for a long time, and doing annual cleanups as well. And if they have nowhere to go, they'll be heading further into the National Forests--not something I want to see.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Dec 04, 2009 4:45 pm 
Ditto, and I just sent my comments to that address with that subject line.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Dec 04, 2009 5:37 pm 
One more ditto ....... complete with appropriate email.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Dec 04, 2009 5:48 pm 
I also concur with Schroder. One could predict this sort of thing. First the Wilderness, then a "buffer zone" and then a buffer to "protect" the buffer...and on and on. The wilderness people got their wilderness, now suddenly they want more. They can keep their mitts off the rest, so that others may enjoy the outdoors their way. I'm not an ORV user. Don't really have any use for them. But the public land belongs as much to them as it does to me.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence