Forum Index > Trip Reports > mt. walker, ONF, 11.28.2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Nov 28, 2009 7:17 pm 
after a failed attempt last week due to weather to place the Olympic Mountains Traveling Summit Register, aka Oly, on Mt. Walker, today was a success. HJT, Lisa & Neil, and i, under dryer conditions, made our way to Mt. Walker. we 'hiked' the road since it was closed to auto traffic. i think it's at least 4 miles from Hwy 101 to the north and south summit lookouts. as we approached the south summit where we wanted to place Oly, there was a possibility that Lisa, Neil, and i may have left Oly on their kitchen counter. Lisa said that she checked her pack and no Oly. i wasn't even sure if i did! since old men ( in neil's case lol.gif ) don't carry packs, neil didn't have Oly either. HJT knew he didn't have Oly! he did know that if we forgot Oly, he wasn't going to come back to Mt. Walker in the near future! when we got to the lookout, i began searching for Oly. HJT was in awe with what was in my pack.....Lisa took these photos! these are only a few things of what i pulled out of my pack in search of Oly!
i dug deep into my pack and finally........i found Oly!
i know i got HJT lol.gif some photos from our outing on mt. walker. since we hiked the road up, we chose to hike the trail down, making our distance at least 6+miles up.gif
color
view from the north viewpoint
we then made a side trip to view Rocky Brook Falls. neither the Lisa, Neil, or HJT has been there. what a show! up.gif
a very fun day with Lisa, Neil, and HJT. thanks up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSat Nov 28, 2009 8:20 pm 
The first black and white photo is a lovely composition! I like the third one too. I need to start pointing my camera at the tree tops again. I've walked up the trail and then down the road once, but now I just take the trail both ways.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Nov 28, 2009 8:23 pm 
thank you......

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSat Nov 28, 2009 9:16 pm 
You have had some really nice B&W pics lately up.gif Thanks for those last few Oly reports, I am going to make a few trips over there this winter

Eric Eames
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSat Nov 28, 2009 9:35 pm 
Wow! I really like what you are producing with your new camera, bc, especially the black and whites. up.gif up.gif I agree, the first one with the top of the tree in the clouds is topnotch.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Nov 28, 2009 10:27 pm 
thanks, R2H and goats! i actually took a course in photographing in black and white, including processing my photos in a dark room. those were the days! embarassedlaugh.gif i won 2nd place in the black and white photo category way back when during the clallam county fair.....poster size! i did a photo session for a friend....the poster was to be a gift for her husband's 40th birthday. i wonder if he still has the photo. hmmm.gif i'll give him a call. HJT....another heavy rainfall will surely be outstanding! looking forward to seeing your photos when the time comes!

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSat Nov 28, 2009 10:36 pm 
bcfc53 wrote:
thanks, R2H and goats! i actually took a course in photographing in black and white, including processing my photos in a dark room.
It shows!

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSat Nov 28, 2009 10:38 pm 
Lovley day! I have not done this one either..only drove up here and no views..I like the b&w's

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostSat Nov 28, 2009 10:50 pm 
So where's Oly hidden?? South viewpoint? How do you get to those falls? I've been up Mt Walker multiple times but never knew those falls were there.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Nov 29, 2009 7:51 am 
Adrewski..........are you planning on getting Oly? someone PM-ed me and may get it today. if you are interested, i'll send you more details. as to the falls......check your inbox biggrin.gif

Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostSun Nov 29, 2009 11:01 am 
up.gif That's a good late fall/early winter jaunt. And its a trail I don't really think much of, especially when I'm headed towards Marmot Pass and other environs in the area. So that's what Rocky Brook Falls looks like. I guess I'll have to stop sometime and check it out in person.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Nov 29, 2009 11:33 am 
comparison
Rocky Brook Falls on april 26, 2009.
Rocky Brook Falls on april 26, 2009.
Rocky Brook Falls on nov 28, 2009
Rocky Brook Falls on nov 28, 2009

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSun Nov 29, 2009 11:39 am 
Rocky brook falls on Dec. 7th, 2008 Rocky Brook Falls Notice something the trip reports have in common?

Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostSun Nov 29, 2009 12:03 pm 
Nice comparison bc! Just about every time I've gone past the parking area for Rocky Brook Falls there has always been at least one car parked there. I never really thought much about stopping to check it out.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostSun Nov 29, 2009 7:19 pm 
Great report, and I got a real kick out of your pack search and items. smile.gif