Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hidden Lake Peak, 12.9.2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cerveza

Cerveza
PostThu Dec 10, 2009 12:16 pm 
Holy cow! I can't believe you did this hike just a few days after the punishment we faced on Mt Evergreen! mad props! I'm still thawing out and this is the first day i haven't been limping. agree.gif Nice photos, as always. And i adamantly support you playing hooky from work for hiking. up.gif

Beth a.k.a Cerveza a.k.a. Man Hands
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Dec 10, 2009 12:55 pm 
BadDog wrote:
Yes, I shudder to think what night time temps would be and/or if some wind kicked in. eek.gif There's no way I would have brought Holly in these temps. shakehead.gif
That was on my mind the whole way up. I was very careful; slow going up an down in the forest, no glissading in the snow. The descent was doubly slow because I'd collapsed one of my trekking poles to store while using my axe in the snow. I took it out again for the descent but the twist locks had frozen shut and I couldn't extend it! I was happy to know someone else was up there too, and that the tower could be reached if I had trouble. I also carried my shovel, insulated pad, and a bivy bag just in case. The descent on this one certainly wasn't knee friendly.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Dec 13, 2009 10:35 pm 
Frozen dog prints
Frozen dog prints
Neat! up.gif biggrin.gif I made the snow prints on the left because I wanted my own trail on the way up.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSat Dec 26, 2009 1:24 pm 
Anyone have a map of the route you and the previous group used? I'm going to try going there this Sunday (12/27).

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSat Dec 26, 2009 1:50 pm 
Matt wrote:
Anyone have a map of the route you and the previous group used? I'm going to try going there this Sunday (12/27).
Here's a rough map of my route. I didn't bring the GPS. Once you find where to park the route is self explanatory. The ridge is broad in the trees but well defined enough that it's easy to follow. Very little downfall and brush. I stayed on it the whole way up until a snow-covered boulder field just below the summer trail. Then I just made a bee line to the summit following Josh/BadDog tracks.
My altimeter was off but I think I parked around 2800 ft (my meter read 3200 ft). I saw a campsite/pullout with a fire ring on my right just before a lefthand turn onto the next switchback in the road. Just beyond the turn the road widens enough to park. On the uphill side there was a faint but easily spotted path leading up into the trees. The road had snow on it beyond this point. The map shows if you start at that elevation you should hike across another road switchback but I didn't ever cross it. The other hiker who went up the road to the trailhead said the road did have another switchback or two but didn't seem like one could access the road from higher than where I started.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSat Dec 26, 2009 2:07 pm 
Thanks. That's quite helpful.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien