Forum Index > Photography Talk > ND filters. Question please
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Dec 16, 2009 1:31 am 
Id like to pick up a couple/few ND filters. Can anyone of offer suggestions as to which/where to get them? Im looking at a LEE set at B&H at the moment. 4x6 .3 .6 .9 set for 240.00. Thank you.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
slickhorn

slickhorn
PostWed Dec 16, 2009 4:02 pm 
Are you looking for round filters or slot in filters? I've found the round filters limit composition, so I've used the hitek nd grads in a cokin holder. hardly ever use them though, as I've found bracketing and blending to work better. the 2 filters I regularly use are a circular polarizer and a 10-stop B+W solid ND filter.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Dec 16, 2009 9:42 pm 
You eyeballing grads or solid NDs. If grads, I'd suggest a soft .9 and a hard .6, the .3 is pretty worthless. Whatever ones you choose, get the 4x6 size.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Dec 16, 2009 10:57 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
You eyeballing grads or solid NDs. If grads, I'd suggest a soft .9 and a hard .6, the .3 is pretty worthless. Whatever ones you choose, get the 4x6 size.
Thanks Bryan, thats what I was looking for. Any suggestion on a brand? What do you think of Singh-Ray?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostWed Dec 16, 2009 11:34 pm 
I have a number of Cokins, they are not expensive but they get scratched very easily. My next set of filters will be Singh Rays. They fit in Cokin holders, I hear. Fortunately, all my lenses are 77mm except the fish, so this works out well.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Dec 16, 2009 11:46 pm 
Hey SWR, are you talking about these: Cokin holders.. Will this fit those Singh Ray 4x6 filters?

Rob Jordan

Rob Jordan
PostThu Dec 17, 2009 11:45 am 
I have 3 Lightroom and Photoshop books that say graduated ND filters are a waste of money with digital cameras. You can produce superior results combining exposures. The PS CS4 upgrade is cheaper than that Lee filter set. But, whatever (especially whatever if you're using film.) This probably isn't the answer you're looking for. I agree with SWR about the Cokin filters. They scratch easily (though I don't think this is a huge problem,) but also they're not really completely neutral. Unless they have something new, they really sell graduated gray filters. The Cokin polarizing filter supposedly isn't neutral either. I have a Singh Ray polarizer. It's very nice.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Dec 17, 2009 11:49 am 
Rob, I wish I could say that I was PS fluent. I'm not. Its easier to for me to hold a filter in front of my lens.... LOL hockeygrin.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Dec 17, 2009 6:28 pm 
Rob Jordan wrote:
I have 3 Lightroom and Photoshop books that say graduated ND filters are a waste of money with digital cameras. You can produce superior results combining exposures.
It's indeed not hard to combine exposures if you get used to working with layers and all. You can do nifty things like bend the transition line if it would be better to have a curved instead of straight transition, and you can tune the width of the transition area, etc. However, there is a situation where the filters are superior, even with digital - where you have stuff that is moving in the "blending" region where you have the fade from one exposure to the other. Then you'll have things that don't line up quite right in the overlap zone. Here is an example of the problem - click to see the larger image and pay attention to the plant stalks which were moving in the steady breeze (from an outing where I forgot to bring along my Lee 4x6 grad NDs...):
glacier-hellebore-combined
glacier-hellebore-combined

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Dec 17, 2009 6:52 pm 
Thanks Joker.

mike

mike
PostThu Dec 17, 2009 6:53 pm 
Quote:
Its easier to for me to hold a filter in front of my lens.... LOL hockeygrin.gif
That's exactly what some people do. Just hold the filter in front of the lens and skip the holder. That said I have a Cokin P holder that I cut the outer slots off of. Now I wish I'd gone for the bigger size holder to prevent vignetting.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Dec 17, 2009 7:05 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Thanks Bryan, thats what I was looking for. Any suggestion on a brand? What do you think of Singh-Ray?
Either Lee or Singh-Ray are the ones to get. The SR's tend to be the priciest.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Dec 17, 2009 7:40 pm 
I bought the Singh-Ray jobs.