Forum Index > Trip Reports > Not the Wright Mountain (12/26/09)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Dec 27, 2009 1:14 am 
Winter always has its surprises and today was a classic example of a surprise. Avalanche conditions were supposed to be low today but that didn’t quite turn out to be the case with the mountain that we picked today. Wright Mountain was not the right mountain and luckily we found that out before something serious happened. Gimpilator, Josh Lewis, Gabe, and FZTE decided to take a shot at Wright Mountain, which in summer is a fairly easy 12 mile 3000 foot elevation gain mountain right from the Alpental Ski Area. In summer this mountain can be done in four to five hours. It however takes on a different character in winter. I think I will wait until summer until I head back to Wright Mountain again. We began out taking the Snow Lake Trail. This trail was a great condition and all of us made great time going up to view of Snow Lake. The beauty from this trail was unreal and the mountains were very pretty in their winter setting. On the way up there were not too many people on the trail. We took short but frequent pictures breaks heading up to Snow Lake. It was easy hiking to the viewpoint of Snow Lake. However getting down to Snow Lake was a little more interesting. We decided to check a couple of slopes and glissaded down to the base of Snow Lake. Once at the base of Snow Lake we could see Wright Mountain. But we didn’t trust that Snow Lake was frozen over so we decided to go around the lake on the east side to hit our vantage point. After the glissades there was at first a simple traverse along the side of the lake. Unfortunately though we hit one spot though where the snow must have blown off the lake and loaded this slope with snow. Gimpilator was looking at a traverse of a ridge when he noticed some cracks in the snow on the slope. Noting that we decided to head closer to the lake where we would stay low to cross the section. Figuring this was the crux we proceeded on and crossed the section. After crossing this section we headed up a slope to what we thought was a ridge. After hitting that highpoint we descended the slope. By now we were checking for potential avalanche areas. Gimpilator and Josh Lewis were heading down the slope check for crack when Josh Lewis spotted a major crack in the snow well below him. He told Gimpilator and cautioned us. At that very moment the snow raised and released a mini avalanche. Without any hesitation we turned back. That was all the warning signs we needed. We headed back to the top of the ridge took a small break and then headed on out of there. We were still 1.5 miles from the summit and there was no reason to go further. We decided to head back the way we came because that area we knew best and we were too spooked to go up any new slopes. Heading up the glissade chutes we established was physically tough but it was much safer that attempting to climb a new undisturbed slope. Once on the top of ridge with the view of Snow Lake we knew we were home free. On the way back down the Snow Lake trail was much more crowded. Gabe did his typical run down this slope while the rest of us did more of a fast paced walk. Soon we were back at the car where took a deep breath and a sigh of relief after witnessing that mini avalanche first hand. This was a great trip, great call to turn around and great company to climb with. Hope to see everyone again on our next trip.
Snowy scene
Snowy scene
Wintertime
Wintertime
Alpental
Alpental
The Chair
The Chair
Snowy Chute
Snowy Chute
The Chair
The Chair
Looking back
Looking back
Wright Mountain
Wright Mountain
More winter beauty
More winter beauty
Winter beauty from our stopping point
Winter beauty from our stopping point
VIews from on the way up
VIews from on the way up
Views from on the way up
Views from on the way up
On the way down from Snow Lake
On the way down from Snow Lake

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun Dec 27, 2009 9:44 am 
It's been several years since I have seen wind-loaded snow that bad. Me and Josh were making a descending traverse down the first bad slope when a five foot long crack shot out from where I was standing. I told Josh "Turn around, go back NOW" and we got off the slope. In hindsight we should have called it a day there but I thought it might just be one bad slope. But the next west facing slope was even worse. That's the one Josh triggered intentionally from the top. He kicked down on it and the whole thing let go. It was about 20 feet wide, 15 feet high and a foot thick. I uttered two words at this point. "We're done".

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Dec 27, 2009 10:44 am 
Way to recognize the situation and make the right call up.gif Looks like you guys had a nice day in the mountains

Eric Eames
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Dec 27, 2009 10:50 am 
Thanks for the info up.gif It goes to show there is danger even when the avy danger is 1 and congrats for the good decision Wright is not going anywhere.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Dec 27, 2009 6:30 pm 
It must be sooooo beautiful in there this time of year! Glad you had a safe and fun time!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Dec 27, 2009 7:44 pm 
My pictures are up. Some I think are among the prettiest I have ever shot.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
fzte
All in the Boots

fzte
All in the Boots
PostSun Dec 27, 2009 8:44 pm 
Great photos guys! It was a great experience and the scenery was incredible. Here are some of my photos from the trip:
Thanks to Josh for this one:

Climbing for Camp Erin - Zero to Everest | Facebook | Twitter
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Dec 27, 2009 11:03 pm 
Glad you all came back. up.gif up.gif Thanks for the heads up on the windload.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Dec 27, 2009 11:06 pm 
FZTE, Great pics! Welcome to NWHikers. You did very well on this trip. I look forward to seeing you on many more.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Dec 27, 2009 11:31 pm 
I plan on posting a few photos later when I get more free time on my hands (I gotta go to bed soon and hike tommorow) The way back for me was more worrysome. On that same slope EastKing mentioned I called that part "Between two Perils" because above was avalanche danger and could trigger one (plus there were sounds that made me feel uneasy) then the other route was on the edge of the lake which cracked a little while some of us were on it, and I had a deep step which very much frightened me. It felt like I was on a glacier all over again only unroped. Also my feet were very much frozen on the way back and went numb, which I plan on getting gaiters to prevents this in the future... too many hikes with frozen feet! Causing the mini avalanche was a bit of a scare for me. Atleast I gained a bit more understanding of avoiding avalanches.

loper

loper
PostMon Dec 28, 2009 7:58 pm 
Good decision to turn around. The mountain will be there for another day. Did you get any photos of the avalanche/debris? L

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue Dec 29, 2009 10:41 am 
Josh and I were in the lead and I don't think we took any pictures. We were at the top of the slope and we immediately turned around and went back.

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Dec 29, 2009 10:47 am 
Gimpilator wrote:
Josh and I were in the lead and I don't think we took any pictures. We were at the top of the slope and we immediately turned around and went back.
Probably not the best time to be digging out the camera and doing a photo shoot eh...

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostWed Dec 30, 2009 11:49 pm 
Josh, I am looking forward to your photos. Scenery wise it was a stellar day!

furthur
Berry Bagger

furthur
Berry Bagger
PostThu Dec 31, 2009 7:12 am 
Quote:
Thanks to Josh for this one:
A keeper! Possible avatar pic? Good eye, Josh.

"You're either on the bus or off the bus." Kesey