Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bob Heirman Wildlife Preserve
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Jun 23, 2008 12:36 am 
Saturday night I "base" camped at colonial creek camp ground. I intended to do some hiking in the area, early sunday morning. Mother nature had other plans. I seem to remember something about a small chance for thunder showers. Thunder arm of diablo lake did not disappoint. The wind picked up, ripping the rain fly from my tent in the middle of the night. frown.gif This forced me to retreat to shelter overnight in the jeep down.gif down.gif On top of the wind, thunder and lightening seemed to go on for hours! I was an amazing show. However it made it impossible to get any sleep. At first light of dawn, it became apparent that i would not be hiking it the area. frown.gif frown.gif On the way out of the area what did i spot. I wish i took a couple of pictures. Storm chasers, compleat with mobile weather radar! WTF! With maybe one hours sleep i drove home to everett. down.gif down.gif Once at home i took a nap, to awake to a partly cloudy day? Was this the same day! hockeygrin.gif Not wanting to waste the rest of the day, I headed to the Bob Heirmand Wildlife Preserve just out side of Snohomish, to play with my big zoom lens.
a bird of a different kind
This park is a birders paradise. There is one main "trail" down the middle of shoulder high grass. There's beach access along the snohomish river. Bring jungle juice the skiters are out in force if you head that way. There's even a small "lake".

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jhiker

jhiker
PostMon Jun 23, 2008 4:39 am 
Nice pictures! Love the flying bee ones.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jun 23, 2008 7:57 am 
Enjoy the pastoral view of this area while you can. In a month you'll be staring at 4 radio towers. Herald article.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Jun 23, 2008 11:40 pm 
Schroder wrote
Quote:
Enjoy the pastoral view of this area while you can. In a month you'll be staring at 4 radio towers.
There's already a couple of ugly towers in the area. I don't think a couple more are going to destroy the view, unless the plan on installing right in the middle of the park

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 5:45 am 
They'll be directly on the other side of the river - an AM radio antenna farm. It will have a huge visual impact.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 7:31 am 
I'm sorry your original trip plans didn't work out. down.gif But those are some amazing pictures you brought back from your alternative walk! I like the flying bee ones best, and the cedar waxwings. Is there a link that would give directions to this park?

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 8:32 am 
You should try "casting" that lake/pond..... Years ago I took my kayak on that lake and you could actually follow a water route all the way to the river, it was fun and quite the mini adventure... My wife and I went there together the first time we ever met in person, she learned how to skip rocks and I lost the trail trying to get to the river down on the beach...crap I just admitted it...don't tell her that....

"Those who go up the mountain must come down....except me" AKA spylunker...."See you at the top"
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 10:07 am 
Hiker Mama wrote
Quote:
Is there a link that would give directions to this park?
http://www1.co.snohomish.wa.us/Departments/Parks/Park_Information/Park_Directory/Regional_Parks/Heirman_Preserve.htm

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 12:33 pm 
Lovely!!! smile.gif

Frank

Frank
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 4:54 pm 
There are some people still contesting the tower issue but it is looking like a lost cause.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 6:46 pm 
Nice bird pics. up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
leaveno

leaveno
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 10:44 pm 
More about Bob H.
Very nice photos! Hike to the Snohomish River there through the park in September during old numbered years and you'll pull in your limit of "Humpies" - then smoke them to perfection. up.gif

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostMon Jan 04, 2010 1:13 pm 
I had to make two visits to this park in order to completely figure out its trail system. The main trail down the center of the prairie/marsh is more of a road than a trail. The path hangs left once it hits the dike and follows the river downstream to an unsigned trail fork. The path to the right leads to a large pebbled shore on the banks of the Snohomish. The path to the left eventually runs out into a thicket of tall grass and blackberry. It's possible to push on through the grass for at least a quarter mile past the trail fork. There is another more overgrown trail that runs through the meadow parallel to the trail along the dike that gives a nice loop option. If one takes the aforementioned left fork and travels only a couple dozen feet, the faint trail shoots off to the left through the grass. It is easily missed if you aren't looking for it. I discovered the location of this trail by examining Google satellite imagery. Once on the path it becomes fairly simple to follow and will connect with the main path you walked in on in under a mile.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Jan 07, 2010 4:36 am 
Schroeder, et al. And now the valley is minus two of the antennas. Anyone know what Skotdal is doing about the big one? Tom