Forum Index > Photography Talk > dslr recommendation
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostWed Jan 20, 2010 10:48 am 
iron wrote:
is the general consensus that nikon offers better low light shooting per $ spent? right now i'm seeing some pretty decent deals out there for used d40's, which somewhat seems like a good starting point for the body. what recommendations would you offer for lens f-stop? please keep in mind, this camera will be going with me for all backpacking trips and many golden hours. up.gif i know he's a d40 afficionado, but it sure seems like his "dream team" lineup + a used d40 would work awesome: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/dx-dream-team.htm quote:"With nothing but these three Dream Team lenses, the 10-24mm DX, 35mm f/1.8 DX and 55-200mm VR DX, you'll be prepared for any serious assignment."
I jwill ust add that I have been thrilled with my Nikon D40. When I got it the crieria included compact. light weight, user friendly. The D40 is all of that. I got it with the 55-80 kit lens and added the 80-200 zoom. Although I don't carry the zoom all that often, keeping in mind mthat when shooting inRAW you can do some zooming and cropping with your 'puter. I would like to add the 10-24 at some point. The D40 has been to Nepal and to many of our own Cascade summits as well as to some great SW desert hikes.

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostSun Jan 24, 2010 7:11 am 
seawallrunner wrote:
here's a nice all purpose setup the XT on the left (reader's left) is going to Mulkiteo for a little infrared operation, it will come back as a black-and-white camera in a few weeks.
Speak to me of this.... since my T1i has replaced my old D60, my plan has been (when I can afford it), to convert the old body into IR. I didn't know there was somewhere local that did this. Have a web site for them? How much does it run? IIRC, when I looked before the place I found was in New York. Would be nice to get it done locally. --Gray

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 am 
Im using Sing-Ray UV filters on my lenses. Im not using polarizers anymore.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
overmywaders

overmywaders
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 5:57 am 
Gray, LifePixel's website is LifePixel At NikonGear UV/IR, you will find other IR conversion approaches for the D60, including DIY with detailed instructions.

Gil

Gil
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 9:16 am 
Trailpair: If you decide to go to a wide zoom, consider the just slightly older 12-24mm instead. Tougher lens, and you can pick them up in excellent condition for $600.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 10:19 am 
Gil wrote:
Trailpair: If you decide to go to a wide zoom, consider the just slightly older 12-24mm instead. Tougher lens, and you can pick them up in excellent condition for $600.
Also check out the Sigma 10-20. I bought one a year ago and I'm quite happy with it. It's very good glass IMHO. It costs just about $500.

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 4:59 pm 
overmywaders wrote:
Gray, LifePixel's website is LifePixel At NikonGear UV/IR, you will find other IR conversion approaches for the D60, including DIY with detailed instructions.
Thanks! Unfortunately, the evil marketing people have made things confusing, my old body is the Cannon D60, not the Nikon D60. smile.gif --Gray

canyonwren
Secret Otter Agent

canyonwren
Secret Otter Agent
PostThu Jan 28, 2010 9:17 pm 
ASBrauer wrote:
Neither of those items are "weather proofed" but honestly I've never had any issues with rain or snow on my XTi. Just don't let it get completely soaked and it'll be ok.
And indeed, getting it completely soaked kills it DED. Speaking from experience and all. bawl.gif shakehead.gif (The XTi is dead. Long live the T1i, and may I always remember to pack a drybag upon any future backpacking trip in freaking Iceland.)

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Feb 02, 2010 12:51 am 
I'm a big fan of used gear. I bought my D200 used with only 5000 exposures on it for half the price of a new one. I've found a couple of really good used lenses at camera stores too for significantly less than new. Though the OP has made his choice, just thought I'd throw out a little more info for someone looking to make a similar purchase. The Nikon D200 hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet so I'll give a bit of info on it. It's the precursor to the D300 and uses an older generation 10.2 mp sensor. It does fine up to ISO 400, then things start to look grainy and highlights get blown out really easily. Even so, I've been able to take decent pictures up to ISO 800 with it and shot indoors at ISO3200 without a flash and they didn't look terrible (though they were nothing you'd want to blow up.) The body is very rugged and weather sealed. That's one of the main reasons I bought it. Lugging a heavy camera and lens around the wilderness, scrambling and forging through brush & etc. not to mention skiing with it, it's going to get dirty and damp. Something else to consider with Nikons is that newer consumer level bodies like the D50, D40, D60 and now the D3000 and several others (D5000?) do not have the screw-drive mechanism for autofocusing older Nikon lenses that don't have a focusing motor built into them. Many of these older lenses are really good lenses and can be had for very reasonable prices but you will have to manually focus them if you have one of the bodies without the screw drive. The D200 has the screw drive so I'm able to use any Nikon lens with it.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 02, 2010 1:13 am 
Ive bought and sold gear on Fred Miranda.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
jeremybe
Ol' One-shirt

jeremybe
Ol' One-shirt
PostTue Feb 02, 2010 7:07 am 
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
I'm a big fan of used gear. I bought my D200 used with only 5000 exposures on it for half the price of a new one. I've found a couple of really good used lenses at camera stores too for significantly less than new. Something else to consider with Nikons is that newer consumer level bodies like the D50, D40, D60 and now the D3000 and several others (D5000?) do not have the screw-drive mechanism for autofocusing older Nikon lenses that don't have a focusing motor built into them. Many of these older lenses are really good lenses and can be had for very reasonable prices but you will have to manually focus them if you have one of the bodies without the screw drive. The D200 has the screw drive so I'm able to use any Nikon lens with it.
I bought a D90 body refurbished for a good price last summer, saved some money and have had no problems with it. The D90 has very good low-light high-iso performance and is able to focus older lenses. I found it a good step up from the D40 without the weight and cost of a D300/x. Though it would be reassuring to have weather sealing.

Gil

Gil
PostTue Feb 02, 2010 10:02 am 
Interesting: 40x60 print from a D40!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Paulie59

Paulie59
PostTue Feb 02, 2010 7:59 pm 
Ditto on the D40! (...and again on the Sigma 10-20 ultra-wide angle.)

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostFri Feb 12, 2010 4:52 pm 
I came across a video shot with the Pentax K-7 and thought it was worthy enough to share here to highlight it's video capabilities. Here's a heads up on the video short: Get ready for a wild ride with UNCLE JACK in this nocturnal odyssey of a desperate fugitive. A mad clown, magic pills, a bedtime story and more add up for a fast-paced, riotous adventure. Cheer for a troubled character with a big heart in this short film shot in Denver, Colorado entirely at night with the PENTAX K-7 and the DA 10-17mm, DA* 16-50mm, and DA* 60-250mm lenses.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Feb 13, 2010 5:46 pm 
Interesting. I did not catch any of the purported video idiosyncrasies posted by some online reviews. Specifically the jello cam effect common with all video capable DSLR's during a fast pan. I did not catch the brief flash that is reported to occur during high contrast lighting changes. Perhaps there was some firmware mods in an effort to reduce those issues. I should note I've attempted to reproduce them my self with my K7 with great difficulty.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential