Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thornton Peak (6,935') - South Face - 1/10/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Jan 20, 2010 4:58 pm 
Where is Mike Collins' triple cheeseburger in FWB's last photo?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostWed Jan 20, 2010 5:14 pm 
I believe he was waiting on his second order at that time. clown.gif

cartman

cartman
PostWed Jan 20, 2010 11:03 pm 
That really is a cool pano software thing going on there, fwb. Thanks to Tom for organizing a great trip--way to think outside the box. And to everyone for a good time. Thornton probably gets overshadowed by its big brother, but it's a great scramble, winter or summer. Re: the safety comments. I turned around at Point 6234 (five weeks of sloth/sick and my conditioning was off) so wasn't there to witness the conditions on the summit block, but it sounds like Matt summed it up well. The difference between this group and inexperienced climbers is the experience to make good decisions based on sound judgment. Some people were confident to summit w/o crampons, some with, one did not do the summit block (sound judgment based on that person's lack of experience) and I turned around early. All good decisions based on experience and judgment of the conditions. Occasionally a climber will push the limits because they can, and are comfortable accepting the consequences. A friend of mine told me last year: it's your life; you make the call. But his implication is that you make that call based on acquired wisdom gained through experience. On this trip I found myself with the interesting paradox of making the right decision and regretting it anyway. I turned around because I had been lagging all day and was at a point where I still felt decent, had plenty of energy to get back down without being wiped out, but not enough energy to go the last mile+ and summit without holding the others back on the return. I knew I would have felt poorly coming back if I had gone on. A good decision based on experience; the regret is that Thornton in winter would have been sweet. When I made my choice I watched the others continue for a long time, and later as they were summitting; but once I had made the decision to stop, I did not consider changing it. I'd accomplished everything I'd set out to do that day--getting out with a great group, plenty of exercise, and terrific scenery--except for the summit, and this day, that wasn't a good enough reason to continue.

Nuhights

Nuhights
PostFri Jan 22, 2010 8:51 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
A little lurking birdie has informed me that we most likely made the first winter ascent of Thornton Peak. Go team!
I remember doing a Winter scramble of Thorton Pk. with some Bellingham Boys at the end of January back in the mid 90's. I remember this because the following weekend was Groundhog's Day-February and we summited Baker via the Easton.