Forum Index > Trip Reports > A not so mundane Mailbox Monday
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostTue Jan 19, 2010 4:43 am 
I normally don't post anymore when I do this hike unless there is something noteworthy, or if I have company. Today, I had both. The WxMan went up with me today. He went skiing at Alpental in the morning, and apparently couldn't think of a better way to polish off those thighs. dizzy.gif After trudging up this thing a 100 times, I decided I'd attempt to count those ridiculous reflectors that appear every 50 feet (literally). dizzy.gif dizzy.gif Well, tell you what, I'll let people post their guess. The one who guesses the closest (excluding you WxMan), well, I don't know what you will win...Suggestions?? Ok, on to real noteworthy stuff: No snow on the trail until you get above the false summit, where there are a few slick spots, but nothing to worry about. Even at the summit, there is no snow. The talus field is completely free of snow. The winds were nearly calm at the bottom, but upwards of 50mph at the summit. This I thought was rather extraordinary since in all the times I've been up that thing over the past 8 years, it has never been that windy. Here are some pics.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Jan 19, 2010 11:20 am 
Did you count the markers again on the way down? Some one may have removed one in disgust. clown.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
WxMan

WxMan
PostTue Jan 19, 2010 11:47 am 
W-I-N-D-Y
Always fun to watch trees that are 100x bigger than you go swaying about like they are large blades of grass on a hill... it was howling up there, a little bit unnerving at times... and i'm pretty sure we had some gusts topping the 60+ mark while on the summit. Thanks for pushing me through my lactic-acid funk... i felt slow, but a morning of bump skiing will do that to ya.... promise to be a bit speedier next go-round. Oh and a hint on the # of markers... its a 3 digit number... yikes.

"Nature is orderly. That which appears to be chaotic in nature is only a more complex kind of order." -- Snyder WxMan= 'Weatherman' for those unaware
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Jan 19, 2010 3:16 pm 
My guess: 179 On a tangentially related note, I once spent an entire day long WTA party nailing reflectors to trees (on another trail). Made the arms very sore! clown.gif

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Jan 20, 2010 1:23 am 
say, you didn't happen to see a christmas present in the mailbox, did you? santa put one in there on christmas eve and I'm curious if anyone ever opened it! smile.gif