Forum Index > Gear Talk > Lightweight c-pap machine for sleep apnea while backpacking?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
chopper
"Water boy"

chopper
"Water boy"
PostSun Jan 17, 2010 5:16 pm 
I could use some advice or sugestions as to what make or model of battery powered c-pap machine seams to work great while backpacking. My intention is to do more backpacking this year that will be over three days and the effects of the sleep apnea is really tough without the c-pap. Any one on here able to backpack with a portable c-pap for a week at a time would be so helpful if you could please give me any advice. And also has anyone had unusual experiences with their sleep apnea at higher elevations like at 8,000 feet while camping? Thank you for any help that you can offer. I have an opportunity to do a week long backpacking trip in the California Sierras and want to be more safe and enjoy it more if i can.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSun Jan 17, 2010 5:51 pm 
Do they make those now? My ex-BF used to pack around a regular machine with a police radar battery. A battery weighed about ten pounds and only lasted 1.5 nights. I've heard that some people get ok results using a device that holds the jaw forward. It's not as good as the machine but works ok for a few nights.

chopper
"Water boy"

chopper
"Water boy"
PostSun Jan 17, 2010 6:13 pm 
They do make some smaller and lighter models now but they still weight a good two pounds without batteries or the hose and face or nasal pillows. I am even thinking of dismantling an older model that will work off 12 volts DC and make a lightweight case and make battery packs out of some lithium poly packs that some of us use on our R/C planes and helicopters. This will hopefully lower the weight and size of the package but also requires a ton of work and also basically scraps a good expensive machine if it doesn't work! Haven't tried the chin straps yet and aspirin does seam to help to keep the thickened blood from settling in my extemities when my heart tries to stop or slow down at night. Normally i am lucky to get a good 3-4 hours of sleep. Normally i just rest very deeply for the night but this makes for a LONG night!

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSun Jan 17, 2010 6:27 pm 
You have my sympathy, sleep problems are very frustrating. Anyway, I was not talking about chin straps I was talking about Mandibular Advancement Devices.

Sennin

Sennin
PostSun Jan 17, 2010 8:11 pm 
I have no experience with any of this but....google is your friend. tongue.gif Found this one, it's about 3.6 lbs w/ battery, and tested up to 11,000 feet. http://www.cpapxchange.com/cpap-machines-bipap-machines/everest-travel-cpap-aeiomed.html

chopper
"Water boy"

chopper
"Water boy"
PostSun Jan 17, 2010 8:28 pm 
That is actually the model i am looking at! the one problem is that it opperates off 16 VDC current which is a bit tougher to do as i know i can get fixed 12VDC regulators, have to do some checking as to what it will take to build a lightweight battery out of Li-poly packs. Plus i figure i might get a 12VDC solar pannel to charge the batteries as i might do some 8-10 thru-hikes as well.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Jan 17, 2010 9:49 pm 
How severe is your apnea? If its light to moderate, it might be worthwhile to experiment with a dental device for backpacking. The SomnoGuard AP has one of the best reputations for effectiveness without a prescription at a reasonable cost. Since I just have moderate apnea and I didn't get along with APAP (tried for 3 years) I switched to a custom fitted and pricier TAP3, and haven't used CPAP in about 4 years now. I have my own recording Pulse Ox device to track effectiveness. I thought someone came out with basic, compact, battery operated CPAP machine about the time I bailed on the technology? I wonder what happened to that one? I would suggest checking on the CPAP forums, and asking there. I know the question is discussed quite often.

friluftsliv
kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostTue Jan 19, 2010 12:06 pm 
I have sleep Apnea and usse a CPAP,but would never think of taking it on the trai(just to friggin heavyl.In my case the issue is being able to have cognative though and alertness without using one for an extended period.My answer: Modnifil 200mg,also known as Provigil.I can not,nor would I advise that as I do not know your personal med history,and I had a long talk with my Doc before prscribing it.I use it mainly in class and for test.in my case it works for me.I can say that "cognative inhancers" are some of the safest meds on the market when used properly.Again,run it by your doc. krait

currently looking for backpacking partners for next may for a week in the trinity alps,asnd some other trips and help on a book that will involve tons of camping
Traildad

Traildad
PostWed Jan 20, 2010 9:29 pm 
I have used a CPAP for several years. I travel quite a bit so mine is a pretty lightweight version which is about 2 lbs including the headgear. It is 12v DC and I do use it when I car camp with a small motorcycle battery which is good for 2+ nights. But not a good backpacking option. There are some LIon battery packs at about 24 oz or so which would be good for an overnighter. But so far I have managed to get through a trip with less than ideal sleep.

Life is short so live it well.
11th Essential

11th Essential
PostThu Jan 21, 2010 9:46 am 
boot up wrote:
How severe is your apnea? If its light to moderate, it might be worthwhile to experiment with a dental device for backpacking. The SomnoGuard AP has one of the best reputations for effectiveness without a prescription at a reasonable cost.
ditto.gif I would second Boot Up's recommendation. But as he notes, that may only work if you have light to moderate sleep apnea. I use a CPAP at home and an oral device when camping. The one I was fitted with is called the Suad Device. http://www.tmjsleep.com/sleepapnea.html My insurance covered it and so it is a custom fit. It is really nothing more than an upper and lower mouth guard that is hinged and holds your jaw foward while you sleep, keeping your airway open. So something that you can get on your own without going though a doctor and saving some $ may work just as well. It works great for me and the only downside is my jaw muscles may be just a little sore in the morning, but that quickly goes away. Good Luck!

lisabarlow

lisabarlow
PostTue Jul 12, 2011 7:13 pm 
I would like to ask question. If you have a sleep apnea, can you not leave just one day without those machine?

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Jul 12, 2011 8:26 pm 
You can. You don't sleep as well / fitfully, but you can.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jul 12, 2011 9:43 pm 
mike, do you have apnea? "Fitfully" ? Are you serious? Depending on how bad you have it, the result of one night off can easily include major headaches, daytime exhaustion. and it can get much worse than that in addition to being hard on your heart. At the very least it could really ruin your trip. if you have apnea, that means your blood oxygen levels are dropping below 85%. Some people drop MUCH below that. Your sleep is getting interuppted 30 plus times PER HOUR, possibly MUCH more than that if you have it bad. Fitfully? I guess it depends on your definition.

friluftsliv
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 12, 2011 9:54 pm 
Most of the time I try and overnight it I dont get ANY sleep that night! I use a CPAP at home and I have a VERY hard time sleeping without it. Im going to try a dental device.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
tlake

tlake
PostFri Jul 15, 2011 1:21 pm 
I got one of these chairs and slept sitting up for a 8 day backpacking trip. It took some work getting used to it but sure beat not having a Cpap at all. http://www.slinglight.com/