Forum Index > Gear Talk > MLD Trailstar
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostFri Jul 22, 2011 4:46 pm 
Just returned from my first trip with this shelter. Overall I'm very happy with it - here are a few thoughts for anyone considering it: -it takes a while to receive after ordering -it comes with barely enough seam sealant, so don't get carried away -guyline cord is really nice -so are the guyline tensioners -taut, wrinkle free pitching...if you get it staked out and tensioned properly -setup is easier than other pyramid tarps I've used -properly anchored and tensioned it will handle wind pretty well, though the walls did bow in significantly during ~30mph gusts. I only had the 5 corners staked out though. -the entrance is pretty low. On snow you can dig down to solve the problem, but otherwise you're crawling in or pitching it high enough that you're not getting much wind protection. -it has hooks mid way up each of the main seams. Condensation drips down these hooks, so the time when you'll most need a drying line (cold, moist conditions) is not a good time to use these hooks. -I'm 6'4 and could easily avoid contacting the walls with my sleeping bag -plenty of room for two big people or 3 small people to sleep -Enough room and ventilation to cook under -usable space/volume really decreases with all 5 sides pitched to the ground...but still big for a 16oz 2 person shelter that will handle real weather -if you need steeper walls for snow shedding you can pitch it as a 4 sided pyramid, with one of the panels folded up...but again that's a big sacrifice in space.
Beaver Pass camp
Beaver Pass camp
camp above Wiley Lake
camp above Wiley Lake
challenger and trailstar
challenger and trailstar
not a bad view
not a bad view
looking out
looking out
looking in
looking in
last camp
last camp
The Trailstar is replacing my GoLite Hex (now sold as the Shangri-La 3). It's much lighter for nearly the same coverage, is easier to pitch, has lots of pitching options, and the lower angle walls shed wind much better. But the door, extra volume/headroom, and vents on the Hex will be missed. Except when I want the simplicity and small footprint of a bivy you'll probably find me under this tarp for the next few years.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jul 22, 2011 8:04 pm 
Dane, one of the foremost Tarpologists here at NWhikers shows yet another fine example of Tarpology in action. hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message