Forum Index > Trip Reports > Beaver Peak, 5,113' and Anthracite Peak 5,002' 06/27/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch

Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch
PostThu Jun 28, 2012 10:49 am 
Two weeks ago on my hike up Bluegrass Butte I looked over at Beaver Peak and thought that with all the snow covering the valley behind the lake it might be a good time to climb it. Then I received Dave Fish’s new book in the mail on Tuesday and armed with his drawings of the peak decided that I would have a go.
Coal Lake and Beaver Peak
Coal Lake and Beaver Peak
(Note: The road is still blocked about half a mile before the Independence Lake Trailhead.) One of the cruxes of this outing is climbing out of the valley up to the ridge. Dave's book provides some beta for a route through the cliff bands that starts above two dead cedars. I tried this route but was not able to make it work. The route goes up a very muddy wet gully and then steps left directly above a slabby cliff. The moves out of the gully were on wet, muddy, mossy rock and were quite exposed. I was able to make it out of the gully, but when faced with a move requiring a mantle off of a muddy ledge followed by a high step with a short dyno to a wet, anemic looking blueberry bush, I lost my nerve. I wanted to climb Beaver Peak, but I also wanted to see my wife and kids again. Covered in mud and looking like a four-year-old in a Tide commercial, I turned tail and slid back down the muddy gully feeling defeated. I just about packed it in right there and headed back to my office to salvage some of the day, but instead decided to head up Valley and see if I could find another way. I went about another 150 yards and found a long sliver of snow that looked like it might work. Sure enough from the top of the snow sliver I was able to move left (with only about 15 feet of thick bushwhacking) and reconnect with a snowfield that led me to the top of the ridge. Now I was having fun!
The way
The way
(Note: I'm guessing both routes are seasonal dependent. The one in the book would probably be better later in the year when it's dry. The route I took worked well with snow cover, but would be a brush bash of epic proportion later in the year.) The scramble to the top of Beaver Peak was really fun. The final ridge still has a lot of snow which presented some fun little obstacles and spiced things up in places. I found the secret ledge that the book mentions. Secret ledges are cool! cool.gif At the summit, I climbed up the Beaver Boulder and enjoyed my lunch.
Scrambling toward Beaver
Scrambling toward Beaver
Secret Ledge
Secret Ledge
Beaver Boulder
Beaver Boulder
Stilly and Pemmican
Stilly and Pemmican
Afterwards, I made a quick trip over to Anthracite and tagged that summit. Anthracite was mostly a walk up with one little boulder move to get to the top. The view into the Falls Creek Valley from here was interesting though. Dave’s book calls this peak Cheet-Aligvas, anybody know the background for that?
Anthracite (Cheet -Aligvas?)
Anthracite (Cheet -Aligvas?)
Beaver Peak
Beaver Peak
Blue Grass Butte and Falls Creek Valley
Blue Grass Butte and Falls Creek Valley
Another spectacular day in the Cascades!

Here on this mountaintop...Woahoho...I got some wild, wild life - Talking Heads
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostThu Jun 28, 2012 11:22 pm 
Thanks for the report!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message