Forum Index > Trip Reports > Short ski jaunt at Sherman Pass 7 January 2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostTue Jan 19, 2010 1:12 am 
Life has been pretty busy lately (baby on the way, school, having a house built, and of course, work) so one would think that at the first opportunity to get out, I'd be a little more motivated on the morning of a trip. Instead, I slept in and poked around at home all morning. I had already season purchased a snow park pass and doubt that I'll get my money's worth this year. With that said, I left our apartment in the north end of Spokane and started north on 395 sometime after noon. 10 minutes later I stopped to check on the progress of our new house (just south of Deer Park) and wasted another 15 to 20 minutes before resuming my drive to Sherman Pass. I arrived at the parking area sometime around 2 p.m. and other than a family that stopped to use the restroom (the snow just outside the locked restrooms) had the parking lot (and trail smile.gif ) to myself. Being a novice skier (I have a backcountry waxless set-up) I made a few mistakes from the get go. First was having a new application of glide wax on the grip pattern. It's nice when the snow is sticky and balls up, but it is terrible when trying to ski uphill in powder. To make that problem worse, I thought I'd cut through the trees to the trail (that goes around Columbia Mountain) than walk directly to the trailhead from the parking area (a couple hundred feet at the most). After about 20 minutes of flailing in powder, I finally got on the trail where I was able to get some tread and start moving at a reasonable pace. Time was not on my side, so the trip was a rather short one. I was, however able to get up to where I had some views. At one point, I could see the Selkirks. The trip did have some recon value. Even the steepest parts of the trail I could ski down with no problem. I could tele-turn all but a couple of the switchbacks (which is good considering I'm a newbie). Back near the parking area, there is a large clearing where the power lines go through. There was quite a bit of untouched powder there and so I went for it. The only problem was that under the powder, there was a weak layer of pseudo-consolidated snow. After a few sweet turns, my ski tips punched through and sent me into a face plant. I took a few more shots at it and did the same thing. By that time, I was back on the road that led back to the parking area and the fun was over. Even for the short amount of time it was time well spent. The drive up was nice too. Perhaps next winter I'll get to do the whole 31 miles to Deer Creek Pass.
Looking east from power lines
Looking east from power lines
Sherman Peak
Sherman Peak
Selkirks in the distance
Selkirks in the distance
Typical views
Typical views
Snag
Snag
My ski tracks
My ski tracks
Wapaloosie from the road
Wapaloosie from the road

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 19, 2010 1:28 am 
thanks. good to see a report from a little traveled area

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jan 19, 2010 7:54 am 
I have been eyeing that area with Snow peak a 7k' to the S and I think a ridge of three 7k' peaks to the N. up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostTue Jan 19, 2010 8:58 am 
It is a very nice area. Snow Peak cabin would be a great place to stay (watch out for mice!). The views into Canada area impressive as well the further north you get.

harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostTue Jan 19, 2010 10:28 am 
nice recon dave, i've been thinking the snow would be crap in this warm weather, yours thoughts on going all the way to deer creek pass are intriguing. there's a couple area's that could be tough or avy prone ie: the climb up just past jungle hill and the north side of copper butte. other wise i've thought of bye passing the hard stuff via albian hill rd north to old stage coach to midnite mtn. congrat's on the alpine baby and new house on the way.

hikes and climbs with malamute
Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Jan 19, 2010 1:57 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
I have been eyeing that area with Snow peak a 7k' to the S and I think a ridge of three 7k' peaks to the N. up.gif
I think Bald mountain is the prettier one but it's not in the 7k + group you mention.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostTue Jan 19, 2010 3:33 pm 
Spotly wrote:
wildernessed wrote:
I think Bald mountain is the prettier one but it's not in the 7k + group you mention.
7K or not, it is definitely rather "premier"-looking smile.gif