Forum Index > Trip Reports > Craner Peak (Utah)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Jan 24, 2010 8:59 pm 
It had stopped snowing so some friends and I went out into the west Utah desert about 70 miles west of Salt Lake to hike up a snowbound peak named Craner. I should mention that both my friends had canine friends, one of which was named Tazz. Anyway, we had a great day despite the below freezing temps and a chilling wind. A fog we had to deal with made the pics a bit more special. We did this a week ago and I'm looking forward to more snow days in the desert or snowshoe days in the Wasatch.
The summit of Craner isn't really visible here but it is about a mile and a half away.
The summit of Craner isn't really visible here but it is about a mile and a half away.
Taken looking south on the way up to Craner Peak
Taken looking south on the way up to Craner Peak
Craner Peak is located just west of the MagCorp facility  and just west of the Great Salt Lake and the fog is tainted with chlorine making you feel that you are at an indoor swimming pool.
Craner Peak is located just west of the MagCorp facility and just west of the Great Salt Lake and the fog is tainted with chlorine making you feel that you are at an indoor swimming pool.
Looking south from Craner Peak
Looking south from Craner Peak
This is the view you get when you are at the summit of Craner Peak (a peak west of Salt Lake city by about 70 miles
This is the view you get when you are at the summit of Craner Peak (a peak west of Salt Lake city by about 70 miles
As seem from partway up Craner Peak on Jan 16  2010
As seem from partway up Craner Peak on Jan 16 2010
Stansbury Island is  on the rightside of this pic with the Wasatch (snowy) peaks on the horizon, this pic is taken from near the summit of Craner Peak of the Lakeside Mtns. The Great Salt Lake is hidden under the fog this day.  Jan 16  2010
Stansbury Island is on the rightside of this pic with the Wasatch (snowy) peaks on the horizon, this pic is taken from near the summit of Craner Peak of the Lakeside Mtns. The Great Salt Lake is hidden under the fog this day. Jan 16 2010
As seen from the top of Craner Peak, the highest point in the Lakeside Mountain range.
As seen from the top of Craner Peak, the highest point in the Lakeside Mountain range.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostSun Jan 24, 2010 9:23 pm 
Looks lovely. Oh how I wish we lived closer to the better part of the Western US! Do you ever see sage grouse, chukars, pronghorn ("antelope") on these trips to the UT high desert?

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Jan 24, 2010 9:52 pm 
yew wrote:
Oh how I wish we lived closer to the better part of the Western US!
ditto.gif Looks like a nice trip! smile.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSun Jan 24, 2010 11:33 pm 
Nice work. I think Craner is an error range P2000 if I recall correctly. It looks like you only have a few of the UT P2000 left even counting hte error range peaks. And some of those have no ascents so must be inaccessible. It looks like Lewis, Logan, Wagon Road Ridge, Split Mtn and Goose Creek Mtns. And some of those might even be tricky though other folks list ascents on LOJ. And then it is off to lower prom stuff or to some other state. Time to retire to Colorado? wink.gif

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 5:10 am 
Yew: I see lots of proghorn and chukars out there. Here's a link to a SP page I'm helping to develop: Utah Western Desert ranges Eric:
Quote:
It looks like you only have a few of the UT P2000 left even counting hte error range peaks. And some of those have no ascents so must be inaccessible. It looks like Lewis, Logan, Wagon Road Ridge, Split Mtn and Goose Creek Mtns.
Eric, I expect to pick up Lewis, Logan, Split, Goose and Messix this year as well as some of ones that are in the top 100. Here's my latest "map" (thanks to your creative map making efforts). Durst and the two Granites are probably not going to happen since Durst and one of the Granites are totally off limits. The second Granite has a class 5 pinnacle that no one has been able to climb (too crumbly and dangerous). Wagon Ridge is on Indian Reservation land and is problematic. More on Craner here.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 9:02 am 
Dean, if you can get Messix that will be a nice pickup. Looks like no one else has snagged that one yet. Looks like Vitz has tagged Wagon Road Ridge per LOJ so maybe he can provide some insight on accessing that one.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 1:49 pm 
I've talked with John via email on Wagon Road and he said it was a scary place. I'll see if I can find that email and share it with you. I'll probably go after Wagon Road with Greg/Kadee. We'll see. eek.gif

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 2:15 pm 
Hello Dean! biggrin.gif wave.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 2:16 pm 
AB, how are you doing? Are you getting out and doing some snowshoeing/hiking ? Thanks for the wave biggrin.gif

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 3:18 pm 
Nice trip report. Your hiking connections and disciples (like me) miss your Northwest presence. Keep them coming!

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 7:14 pm 
How beautiful! The fog and the grasses and shrubbery silhouettes (sp) are gorgeous! When I was a kid my family went swimming in the Great Salt Lake - dad lay practically on top of the water, reading a book. He was just horsing around for the camera, but I remember everyone was pretty bouncy on the surface.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting