Forum Index > Trip Reports > Another Accidental Battle up San Juan Hill (1/23/10)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Jan 24, 2010 1:35 am 
Introduction There are some days out there hiking when the conditions and the terrain just test you to the maximum and you have to fight it out mentally through the trip in order to be successful. Today was one such test that really tested my capacity to deal with all the changing conditions. Our trip participants were Gimpilator, Redwic, FTZE and of course me EastKing. Our goal to was to get both Quarter Dome and El Capitan in the Wild Sky Wilderness. For Redwic this was the first hike in two months due to both him and his wife having their first baby (congratulations Redwic). For FTZE this trip is another trainer for his goal up much larger mountains in the future (Everest by 2013). For Gimpilator and I, it was a chance to bag another two peaks that don’t get much attention by most of the hiking world. The Beginning We started out at 9:00 a.m. pumped and ready to bag two new summits. We made great time heading up the first forest road up to the cutoff to the second forest road. Everything here was going pretty good on the first forest road and the second forest road which was decommissioned a while ago was a little rough but we were making good time on that as well. All us of were pumped on trying to make these two summits and it looked real good early. The weather was even cooperating early on with breaks in the clouds and occasional sun flashes. The Obstacle and a New Route Change All was going well until we hit a 75-foot washout on the decommissioned road. The result of this washout was a very steep slope of mixed snow and mud on both sides and a hazardous crossing that in dry condition would need extreme care in crossing. To us this washout was much too hazardous to try to cross and looked more like an injury trap. At this point the wind had left our sails and we knew this trip was going to be much tougher than we first anticipated! I for one was disheartened at this and for next two hours of this journey was struggling to find my motivation to continue here. While Gimpilator was checking a possible place to cross Redwic was looking for an alternative route up the mountain. After a lengthy discussion and long comparison of GPS’s of how to proceed, it was agreed upon to head up the slope from the road in a clear-cut about 50 feet above the road. In order to get to the clear-cut we decided to go up this steep mud/ice slope (not nearly as hazardous as the washout). Once in the clear-cut the trip up was smoother and our momentum was getting stronger again. The mixed snow in mud began to convert over to full firm spring-like snow and we penetrating through the clear-cut. We stayed in this clear-cut all the way to another service road above. Once on the other decommissioned service road above we decided to take it all the way to end and then analyze the GPS’s in order to find out where to proceed from here. In was agreed upon at that point to aim for the saddle, which we could see in and out of the clouds. We decided to side traverse a slope all the way to a stream crossing, the same stream that caused the washout early on the in the hike. There were time here that we were walking on top of solid ice and thankfully I remember my microspikes for this section. Once Gimpilator, FTZE and I hit the stream we decided to cross it. Redwic though did not realize we crossed it and decided to head up the nice slope along the side of the stream. It took a while for us realize that Redwic was not behind us but luckily Redwic was close enough to be yelled at in the distance (and we had walkie-talkies just in case). It was apparent that once we saw the route Redwic, which was much safer and better, we knew we had to head back over towards him. Unfortunately we were going to have to hazards stream crossing again. This stream crossing required us to get our axes out and side traverse another icy section and then cross the stream to meet up with Redwic. Reality Check: A Change in Plans It was almost noon at this point and we well behind schedule. Getting one of those summits looked rather bleak and none of us wanted to headlamp out bushwhacking down in hazardous conditions. We had to make a smart decision of what to do here. Then we noticed on the map that we were closest to San Juan Hill. Gimpilator, Redwic, and I had already summited this mountain but FTZE had not and it would at least give us a reason to press on. After further discussion it was agreed to that we were going to try for San Juan Hill. There was new life in the trip and now new energy in the trip. We decided to go up a couple of slope to attain the ridge in order to get to San Juan Hill. This was not easy though because the slopes were steep and we still had 1400 feet more to attain the ridge. We were lucky though in one way, there was little in the way of avalanche danger here. Going up the steep slope was quiet tough though. While Gimpilator glided up the snowy slopes, the rest of us found ourselves postholing up the 35-40 snow slopes, which was clear zapping all of our energy. But we struggled through this section where we kept rising until we hit a couple roads. At this section we put on our snowshoes and started on the first road until it ended. Then we headed up the slope to the second road where we took the second road to the foot of the last slope to the south ridge of San Juan Hill. At this point my spirit was finally coming back and I found some new energy behind me. Unfortunately Redwic was getting tired here had a minor pull in his calf muscle. We checked out Redwic, who felt strong enough to continue and we pressed on. At this point it started to snow. Ironically it was the first snow any of us had seen falling from the sky in a while (strange it doesn’t feel like January). We headed up the last slope where we attained the ridge and then traversed the ridge to the summit. The very last leg of this trip featured nice fresh powder, which I personally prefer a lot. Finally We Won The Long Battle To San Juan Hill After a long five and half hour ordeal we finally made it to the summit of San Juan Hill. It wasn’t the summits we wanted but it was at least something for our efforts. For FTZE this was a brand new summit and another step to his ultimate goal. For the rest of us it was a consolation prize for our hard work. Though there were no views here except of the falling snow and of the tall trees we felt a strong sense of victory here. Our happiness though was short lived because sunlight at this time of year is at a minimum and we had to be on the move down the mountain. It was 2:30 pm and no one had much desire in head-lamping out. Time to Get Down After spending maybe a couple minutes on the summit we decided to head down the mountain. We decided to head down a steep slope to the first forest road below. This section was quiet hazardous descending a steep wooded slope on snowshoes. Though we descended this slope carefully we made good time this very steep and wooded slope. Once onto the road we decided to look for another slope to descend. This was because the snow was holding well and we knew the worst that was going to happen to us was that we were going to posthole. We started to realize by doing this we could possibly avoid needing to use headlamps in order to get back to the car. The slope in the next round of cuts was moderate but the snow held perfectly for this kind of descent and we made good time heading down many of these slope. As expected the lower we went the less the snow was falling and less fog we encountered. Finally we hit one of the bottom roads. We knew in good shape once we check our watches and realized it was 4:15 pm and we 700-feet from the car. The last leg of the journey was tougher than the other slope only because we hit snowline in which the snow became mixed with mud and then dirt and slippery routes. Our last obstacle was a steep washout down to the road in which we stayed above the road until we found a fairly safe way onto the road. Once onto the road we were home free!!!!!!! Conclusion What was a 5½-hour ordeal up became a 2¼-hour fun trip down. Most importantly we made it back safely and before nightfall. Though all of us were armed with one and two headlamps apiece, none of us had to use them. I want to give a special thanks to Redwic for navigating the route down San Juan Hill. He did a good job in getting us down the mountain fairly rapidly. I also congratulate FTZE on his summit trip and thank Gimpilator on his guidance on many of the upper slopes of this trip. It was because of all of you that this trip ended up as the success that it. Thanks again for a wonderful trip up in the mountains. Pics coming tomorrow....
EastKing strikes a pose
EastKing strikes a pose
FZTE on San Juan Hill
FZTE on San Juan Hill
Snowy summit
Snowy summit
Best shot of the day
Best shot of the day
Gimp looking for a place to cross
Gimp looking for a place to cross

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Jan 24, 2010 3:08 am 
Did you start from near Jack Pass? How far could you drive?

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Jan 24, 2010 7:02 am 
About 2 miles before Jack Pass is where we parked. The road was in good condition up to that point.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSun Jan 24, 2010 12:42 pm 
Photos and added commentary...
Heading up FR-6560 below 2500' elevation...
Heading up FR-6560 below 2500' elevation...
Heading up FR-6560 above 2500' elevation...
Heading up FR-6560 above 2500' elevation...
A very large washout!!!
A very large washout!!!
Heading west along a creek valley ridge...
Heading west along a creek valley ridge...
Crossing a Boulder Creek tributary...
Crossing a Boulder Creek tributary...
Climbing up the mid-southeastern slopes of San Juan Hill
Climbing up the mid-southeastern slopes of San Juan Hill
Snowshoeing along FR-6574...
Snowshoeing along FR-6574...
Heading north through thick forest to the summit...
Heading north through thick forest to the summit...
FZTE reaches the summit of San Juan Hill...
FZTE reaches the summit of San Juan Hill...
EastKing glissades on San Juan Hill...
EastKing glissades on San Juan Hill...
EastKing traversing down FR-6570...
EastKing traversing down FR-6570...
Gimpilator walks by old-growth tree...
Gimpilator walks by old-growth tree...
I already knew about the washout on decommissioned FR-6564, but I never thought it was THAT nasty. Much worse than prior trip reports have eluded. I couldn't believe when Gimpilator, EK, and FZTE had crossed that tributary of Boulder Creek. The terrain looked very difficult and unstable, and full of very thick forest. I was anticipating our group to continue upslope on the east side of the creek for several hundred vertical feet until reaching an old forest road that crossed the creek more safely. I had mentioned it once, but I guess it was not heard. Oh, well. It worked out OK, and it helped give FZTE a better scope of different terrain on mountains. This was one of those types of trips where I am glad I tend to be fairly competent with a map, GPS, and orienteering skills. Gimpilator did a good job as a co-navigator, and EastKing and FZTE did a good job of giving input for each decision. Changing plans to San Juan Hill was easy for us to make. We figured it was better to have at least one of us (FZTE) reach a new summit than to end up on some mundane ridgeline in the middle of nowhere, and we did not want to descend the same way we had ascended the hillsides. I am not discouraged, however. We had wasted a lot of time in the early portions of the trip. With an earlier start, and now with a better firsthand scope of the terrain involved, I know that places such as Boulder Lake, El Capitan, and Quarter Dome can be attained in one day's trek. Also... FR-6500 was NO PROBLEM. I grew up in Gold Bar, and I have never seen so little snow in mid-January on FR-6500. I was very shocked by how little snow was on the side-road of FR-6560 below 2500' elevation. This made our lower descent route MUCH brushier with so little snow on the ground. At least it was not during Spring/Summer/Fall when leaves are on trees and bushes, too, or else we would not have even traversed as far as we had.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Jan 24, 2010 9:20 pm 
Excellent photos and good additions to the TR, Redwic. I think the decision to ascend San Juan Hill saved this trip and gave FTZE a new summit.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostSun Jan 24, 2010 10:18 pm 
Quarter Dome and El Capitan are a LOOOONG way away. You might want to start a little earlier than 9 am in January to give yourselves more of a chance next time. Glad you made the most of the trip despite the unexpected obstacles, though!

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jan 24, 2010 10:57 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Did you start from near Jack Pass? How far could you drive?
skyko.org wrote:
Tuesday, January 19 - Driving Conditions There has been news that the ice on the grades near the top of the pass is nearly gone. Until there is new snow, the pass is pretty much back in "any vehicle" status. The potholes are tedious in many places along the way. Use caution in the rock slide area. The rocks are still terrible. Please help to clean up a few if you can. Tuesday, January 12 - Still driving in After all that rain, we have found that the Jacks Pass summit has not been affected by new snow. The snow which was previously high enough to cause some dragging in the center of low vehicles is now packed down pretty low (due to rain and melting). The vehicle tracks have been melting over the entire route. The gravel is visible in most places, even on top. However, it is VERY slippery on some fairly long stretches where it is clear ice, or worse (wet ice). 4WD without chains has been enough from last weekend until now, but with the speed very low for "controlled sliding" downhill in a few places. I would not be here without the chains to make the climb, in case they become necessary. More hazards... After a long stretch of dry, bare gravel between the upper and lower switchbacks on the inside, there is a surprise stretch of old snow and clear ice from the melting where it levels out at the bottom, just before the pavement. There at least, there has still been regular freezing to keep the road treacherous. This is no big deal if you get there with reasonable speed. The rocks in the road above the gate are the worst I have ever seen them. Those of us who have been past have had to move some to get through in every case. During the wind and rain, more rocks keep showing up. Some of them are too large to move by hand. As was pointed out by one regular, the smaller ones will be a significant tire hazard once they become buried in snow. We need to keep a path through there clean enough to be safe after it snows. I moved a few coming in and will catch a few more going out. Please do the same if you can. Watch out for new falling rocks while you are there. I don't think I would pause for this during the wind and rain. I wish they would screen that hillside. Some of it has been screened in the past - I'm told as an experiment. That part seems to have been successful.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 6:38 am 
Yana wrote:
Quarter Dome and El Capitan are a LOOOONG way away. You might want to start a little earlier than 9 am in January to give yourselves more of a chance next time. Glad you made the most of the trip despite the unexpected obstacles, though!
Yeah... We figured that out. The plan is to wait a little longer, like February or March, when there is more daylight. Also, we would leave probably two hours earlier. The snow conditions were perfect. Plus, it was my first outdoor excursion in two months, so any achievement felt good. Ascending San Juan Hill from its southeast corner is very rarely accomplished, so at least we can take solace with that.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostTue Jan 26, 2010 6:12 am 
I see El Capitan and Quarter Dome being tackled on the first weekend of daylight savings.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Jan 26, 2010 8:34 am 
That might work out OK. I already have a new plan of attack for the ridge.