Andy D.

Andy D.
PostWed Feb 10, 2010 4:51 pm 
Wow, awesome pictures and report. Very cool! up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostWed Feb 10, 2010 8:03 pm 
A memorable adventure for those of us unable to attain such heights and feats. How did you all do it?! Amazing, stupendous and more! Kudos! btw, fantastic set of photos to justify death defying ascent and descent. Truly exciting to view! Jim, just looked at these again....totally awesome!

BirdDog

BirdDog
PostWed Feb 10, 2010 8:32 pm 
Another excellent and entertaining TR. And of course, great photos!

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostWed Feb 10, 2010 10:34 pm 
Thanks for a most excellent TR. It looks wonderful up there and getting into the lookout, awesome. up.gif If only the weather would continue to be nice and I had more time to hike.

loadmaster

loadmaster
PostWed Feb 10, 2010 11:21 pm 
wow -- totally awesome! Arthur wants to know if you carried up the sack of mortar to fix the foundation! suuure.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Feb 11, 2010 12:30 am 
Over the top! I didn't even know it was possible to do Three Fingers in winter without a death wish!

Shred

Shred
PostThu Feb 11, 2010 8:21 am 
loadmaster wrote:
wow -- totally awesome! Arthur wants to know if you carried up the sack of mortar to fix the foundation! suuure.gif
Haha. No mortar on this trip. I can not speak for Jim, but tell Arthur that I am a go, for the foundation repair this year. Great pictures as always, Jim! I will put a few up when I get a little more time ( I actually got a few good ones) smile.gif It was fun to ski with you Hummel Brothers and your Stoke! Good people + Rad place + Interesting weather = Awsome Time! up.gif up.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Feb 11, 2010 11:17 am 
Jim Dockery wrote:
The problem for those of you contemplating starting up at an advanced age (over 30) is the steep learning curve for the back-country. I was lucky to start downhill skiing as a kid and got many seasons on the lifts to learn. It would take a lot of $ to take it up now, starting with a season pass to an area and dedicating a winter to riding the lifts and heading out on the unpacked runs in all kinds of conditions.
ditto.gif I'm one those who learned to ski later in life (I first downhill skied at age 30, although I Nordic skied for 10+ years before that), and now backcountry skiing is a big part of my life. Acquiring skillls sufficient to safely engage in ski touring and ski mountaineering can be done, but be prepared to devote a few winters of hard diligent work before setting out in the backcountry, and even more years before attempting anything like this route. Before I set out in the backcountry in midwinter conditions*, I put in est. 150 full days of lift skiing, lap after lap, often in rain and pea soup fog. And when I was ready to tour, I joined the Mountaineers backcountry ski group -- there's no substitution for touring with experienced old timers. *A strong intermediate downhiller can safely ski on easier spring corn trips, after the snow pack consolidates, and I always advise backcountry newbies to stick to post-consolidation spring conditions the first couple seasons. OTOH, mid-winter tours are serious affairs that involve variable snow conditions, and thus require, at the very least, solid advanced downhill technique, as well as avy training and snow travel experience. Sorry for the thread drift. Again, great TR and pics, Jim! up.gif

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostThu Feb 11, 2010 12:40 pm 
Well said Steve. Even after a lifetime of climbing, and many years of BC skiing, I'm still very conservative getting out midwinter. I normally stick to easy access areas with low avy danger that I'm familiar with. This past weekend, with good solid snowpack, and easy access, presented a unique opportunity to get out to some normally dangerous places relatively safely. Thanks again to Jeff for the idea (and digging the door out)!
Shred Shredding
Shred Shredding

Roald

Roald
PostFri Feb 12, 2010 1:25 am 
Wow! What an amazing trip. Thanks for the pics and the image of breaking into the hut. I too started skiing later in life - first nordic classic, then nordic skating and some tele stuff. I don't get out enough to get good on the teles, but that doesn't matter. It is so dang fun anyway! When skiing with good skiers, I can always back off on the hard stuff (like dropping the skis and booting the last bit to a summit) and leave the heroics to the ski masters. In other words, it's never too late to pick up the skis. (The best type of skiing, of course, is adventure skate skiing. But I'm just sayin'.)