Forum Index > Partners > Mount Pilchuck Feb 20th 10:00am
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mepokeu

mepokeu
PostSat Feb 13, 2010 6:44 pm 
Anyone want come? So far its me and my friend steve. We are both in the military and in our mid twenties. Were drama free minus the heated debates we get into smile.gif We attempted to do it yesterday, but the snow started falling hard and we couldn't see anything. We made it to the ridge line and turned back. Plan would be to meet at the parking lot at 10:00 am and head up. Depending on permission from our wives we might stay the night and head back down on sunday. According to the weather report its going to be sunny all weekend!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Feb 16, 2010 1:10 am 
This is quite tempting. Although i not too sure about a winter summit overnight.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Feb 16, 2010 9:26 am 
Hulksmash wrote:
This is quite tempting. Although i not too sure about a winter summit overnight.
It's really a pretty short hike but perhaps the thought was to sleep in the lookout? Is it normally even open? I would suspect sleeping in there is not allowed as there would be a zillion people trying that give the hoards that go up there anyway.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Feb 16, 2010 11:39 am 
Quote:
It's really a pretty short hike but perhaps the thought was to sleep in the lookout? Is it normally even open? I would suspect sleeping in there is not allowed as there would be a zillion people trying that give the hoards that go up there anyway.
The lookout is not locked. The shutters are in the closed position for the winter. But it easy to get inside. Staying overnight in the lookout is allowed on a first come first serve basis. Yes, Pilchuck is a busy summit, not so much over night, even less in the winter. I am unsure about staying over night due to my winter overnight inexperience. I have spent exactly 0 nights out side in the winter. Even in side the shelter of the look out, might not be the best place to try a first winter overnight. The temps may be forecast to be mild, but that forecast is geared for sea level pugetroplis. NOT the summit of Pilchuck.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Feb 16, 2010 12:04 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
The lookout is not locked. The shutters are in the closed position for the winter. But it easy to get inside. Staying overnight in the lookout is allowed on a first come first serve basis. Yes, Pilchuck is a busy summit, not so much over night, even less in the winter. I am unsure about staying over night due to my winter overnight inexperience. I have spent exactly 0 nights out side in the winter. Even in side the shelter of the look out, might not be the best place to try a first winter overnight. The temps may be forecast to be mild, but that forecast is geared for sea level pugetroplis. NOT the summit of Pilchuck.
Interesting. I would think something of a shorter hike with a possible destination of a sheltered lookout might be a good place to do a first winter overnight vs hiking up somewhere more remote with no shelter having to totally roll your own. I wouldn't even have any of the gear anyway to try something like that. No sleeping bag, no tent, no camping stuff. Just a day hiker I guess...

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 16, 2010 12:06 pm 
I might take the hike, but stayin' in a building with no heat with dudes that I don't know does not sound like my idea of a good time, but maybe that's just me? lol

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Feb 16, 2010 12:08 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I might take the hike, but stayin' in a building with no heat with dudes that I don't know does not sound like my idea of a good time, but maybe that's just me? lol
I guess after hiking up you might know them though lol.gif lol.gif

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Feb 16, 2010 12:16 pm 
Quote:
Interesting. I would think something of a shorter hike with a possible destination of a sheltered lookout might be a good place to do a first winter overnight vs hiking up somewhere more remote with no shelter having to totally roll your own. I wouldn't even have any of the gear anyway to try something like that. No sleeping bag, no tent, no camping stuff. Just a day hiker I guess...
I have enough equipment i should be ok for winter. If i make my first attempt, its going to be a car camp. That way i have an easy to bail. Problem is i have no desire to try it solo yet. I don't know anyone who is willing to do a winter car camp.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Feb 16, 2010 12:46 pm 
I've stayed in the Pilchuck lookout (in summer, though). Hulk - if you trust your navigation skills, you should give this a shot. The best part is that if for some reason you decide it's too much for you, you can go back to the car instead of spending the night.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Feb 16, 2010 12:47 pm 
tigermn wrote:
Hulksmash wrote:
No problem with spending the night there. People do it often. It's not like some of the other lookouts that have bunks, tables, chairs,etc. - it's sleeping on a fairly uneven floor.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Feb 16, 2010 1:34 pm 
Ha! That's not an uneven floor, this is an uneven floor:
Avalanche bivy
2 labels
Avalanche bivy
clown.gif Seriously - definitely take a sleeping pad or two unless you enjoy sleeping on a hard wooden surface.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Feb 16, 2010 1:40 pm 
Quote:
I've stayed in the Pilchuck lookout (in summer, though). Hulk - if you trust your navigation skills, you should give this a shot. The best part is that if for some reason you decide it's too much for you, you can go back to the car instead of spending the night.
hockeygrin.gif I don't think navigation will be a problem lol.gif At one point last July i turned off my head lamp as the city lights was enough illumination. I'll give it some thought.

mepokeu

mepokeu
PostTue Feb 16, 2010 2:47 pm 
Well if anyone wants to go im still doing this. Looks like steve is bailing to go snow shoeing with his wife. So as of right now its just 1 dude... wink.gif

mepokeu

mepokeu
PostTue Feb 16, 2010 7:08 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
you sound like a single dude whos thinking with his.... biggrin.gif My plan is to sleep in the lookout. Have an awesome cooked dinner, read a book and take amazing pics at sunset and sunrise. This will be my first time camping in the snow on a mountain. I have spent many nights at 10k+ elevation in the winter in Afghanistan, but that was work.

mepokeu

mepokeu
PostWed Feb 17, 2010 8:58 pm 
guess im going alone oh well