Forum Index > Trip Reports > First overnighter - Ipsut Creek 2/17-18/2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
grasshopper

grasshopper
PostThu Feb 18, 2010 3:10 pm 
With 50 degree temps and dry weather I talked hikingqueen into going with me on a first overnighter of the season. Ipsut Creek seemed a good choice, no snow and easy miles. Needs some chainsaw action here.
The entry into the campground.
My new Tarptent Contrail
Some picnic table carving creations
We then took a walk to cute Ipsut Falls
We wanted to scope out the Carbon glacier, but there was more winter storm damage about a half mile in from the Wonderland Trail. Needs trail maintenance. My heart was thinking spring, but the reality was it was still winter. The night was COLD! The cold air poured into the collar of my Feathered Friends 30 degree Sandpiper until I found a drawstring and pulled it tight. I got warmer immediatetly. I then heard a noise at the foot of my tent and some animal was scurring around. It made some more noise so I got my headlamp out and yelled, "Get the @&%$*&$ away from this tent!" Little guy probably thought, "Geez, crabby camper!" It was one of the longest nights of my life. Twelve hours in that tent and I probably slept four. To make it worst, I was on a slope, and my sleeping pad kept sliding down towards my feet. I need to paint some silicone sealant dots on the floor. The next morning, at 6:00, I went to hikingqueen adn said, "How about this? When light breaks we get the hell out of here and have a hot breakfast." I love frost, except when I'm driving on it!
We packed up and left. Pick N Shovel in Wilkeson was closed so we parted ways there. I found the mother of all blisters on my pinky toe when I got home. Ah, the first trip of the season!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
peltoms

peltoms
PostThu Feb 18, 2010 3:24 pm 
Tarptent in winter. You are starting the year feeling tough biggrin.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu Feb 18, 2010 3:27 pm 
Thanks for the invite! It was my first ever backpack trip! So exciting. Got to test my gear and practice hauling 4 liters of water when I only needed 2 and there was plenty of water around. Oh well, lessons learned. And heavy water goes on bottom of pack FYI. I figured that out with help around 3 miles in. Shoulder still a little sore. What grasshopper didn't mention is that she was SICK and didn't cancel our trip and was a real "trooper". Really wanted to get to Carbon Glacier but we can go back in summer. Lessons learned hand warmers are the Sh*T! Would have froze w/o them. I need a pillow, I am the queen ya know. Great company and lovely campground all to ourselves. Sorry about skipping out on breakfast but I had to get tax documents to accountant today so I can head to Paradise tomorrow.. priorities.. embarassedlaugh.gif Here's some of my pics from the trip,

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostThu Feb 18, 2010 3:39 pm 
Wow, congrats on getting out for an overnight! Looks like a beautiful trip even though you didn't get to the glacier.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Feb 18, 2010 3:53 pm 
great job! glad you two survived the long night! biggrin.gif it's more fun in the pouring rain tongue.gif love the hair ice photos! i'm sure hikingqueen was thinking of me! yep, warmers are a must for this time of year! up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Feb 18, 2010 6:36 pm 
Doing lines or dots of sealant on the floor so stops the all night skid-a-doo of sleeping pads on silnylon lol.gif Yeah Carbon is one where there is never any lack o' water smile.gif Love the carving on the table - the Wa one is actually cool. I love camping out there in spring....I am hoping to take the baby there in late spring!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
NWtrax

NWtrax
PostThu Feb 18, 2010 7:49 pm 
Way to go ladies!

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Feb 18, 2010 8:12 pm 
hubby is teaching me to layer, etc and this is one of my lessons
i'll keep working on it or similar...i need to change the color of the I or change font.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu Feb 18, 2010 8:14 pm 
Grasshopper you started something with that carving pic.. it was cool. Too bad that picnic table is about to collapse at any moment..

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostThu Feb 18, 2010 8:27 pm 
Glad to see photos of your adventure. The stars must have been amazing last night away from the lights.