Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bing Peak (4500 ft) 3 April 2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Martin S

Martin S
PostSun Apr 04, 2010 2:57 pm 
Yesterday Paul M, Stu F, and I climbed Bing Peak, off of Money Creek and a couple of miles east of Crosby Mtn. I believe this peak was named in honor of our hometown software company's new search engine. At 2.6 miles up the Money Creek road we found an overgrown logging spur which we were able to walk for a few hundred yards and then pushed left into open timber. The rest of the way up was mostly brush-free and pleasant travel among some huge old-growth trees. We traversed to the right and circled around to get on the east ridge from the north side. The crux was getting up on the ridge and surmounting a few bumps on the ridge with all the soft new snow. Even with snowshoes on I was finding the snow up to my belly button at times. Oof, that was a lot of work. Here is a map of the route and a few pictures that Stu took. We didn't take any pictures at the summit because there wasn't much to see, but just picture three soaking-wet guys standing in a snowstorm looking out at the fog. I'm sure you've seen that picture before. I'll bet this is a nice viewpoint on a clear day, though.
Bing
Bing
Stats: 3000 ft of gain, 3 miles RT, 7 hours car-to-car. (Would be considerably quicker with firmer snow)

"nothing's for certain" took the elevator down while "anything can happen" climbed the stairs - Ryszard Krynicki
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Type E

Type E
PostSun Apr 04, 2010 3:55 pm 
What elevation did you hit snow? I am guessing that your reference to the name is tongue in cheek. I think the name is in reference to Crosby Mt. E

Martin S

Martin S
PostSun Apr 04, 2010 5:00 pm 
There was an inch or so of snow on the ground where we left the car at 1500 ft. But it didn't get to snowshoe-worthy depths until about 3000 ft. Yes, the name, though unofficial, predates the search engine by several years. It's no doubt a play on nearby Mt. Crosby.

"nothing's for certain" took the elevator down while "anything can happen" climbed the stairs - Ryszard Krynicki
Type E

Type E
PostSun Apr 04, 2010 5:57 pm 
Thanks, I was hoping someone would go up something this weekend that I haven't climbed. I am not in the mood for a wallow fest. Thanks in advance for the hard work. E

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Apr 04, 2010 6:52 pm 
I originally thought Bing peak was near Lyle cherry Orchard. doh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn