Forum Index > Trip Reports > Arches National Park (4/2/2010)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Apr 02, 2010 10:07 pm 
Day 1 report link. Day 2 report link. Day 3 report link. Day 4 report link. Day 6 report link. Day 5 of my southwest trip: structural engineering by nature… April 2, 2010: Arches National Park A long, long day! I was on the road by 3:10am; a 5hr driving time turned into a 6hr affair, due to battling with blizzard upon blizzard while crossing passes above 7000ft, to get from south-western Utah to eastern Utah. Eventually, I made it through the tough times, dimly aware that the place must be spectacular if I could have seen anything but blowing snow reflecting my headlight beams. As I moved further east morning dawned sunny and gorgeous. My smile reappeared and I started to salivate with anticipation of the new sights to see. Utah’s I-70 is a great drive, I’d highly recommend it!
1- Taken on the way back
1- Taken on the way back
2- Castle Valley
2- Castle Valley
I started my sight-seeing in Arches by exploring the Windows section, home to South and North Window Arches, and Turret Arch, all three massive and spectacular. It was relatively early but lots of people were already up and about. My favorite part of the area was the nearby Garden of Eden. Buttes and arches were artfully arrayed; best of all there was no one else there.
3- Turret Arch
3- Turret Arch
4- North Window Arch
4- North Window Arch
6- South Window Arch
6- South Window Arch
7- Garden of Eden
7- Garden of Eden
Next, I headed to the Delicate Arch region. There were throngs of people here, since this is the most famous of Utah’s arches. A short 3mi hike (round-trip) takes one to the arch. For a short hike, it was pretty nice since most of the hiking was on rock slabs, with stunning views in all directions. Delicate Arch is also pretty spectacular. Of course, it was mobbed by people who wanted to have their photo taken against it. I eventually lost patience with a family, that continued to try out various combinations of photos, with a whole army of other photographers waiting to take a people-free photo, and told them to buzz off, at least for a while. (They were back as soon as we had taken just a couple of photos!)
Finally, I headed to the Devils Garden region. There are numerous arches here and lots of nice hiking opportunities. Unfortunately, I was running out of time by now, so only managed to do the short 1.6mi (round-trip) hike to view Landscape Arch. This was probably one of the more impressive arches, but the sun was directly behind it so only managed to take a few documentary snaps.
11- Devils Garden
11- Devils Garden
13- Landscape Arch
13- Landscape Arch
Thankfully, the drive back was smooth and resonable, but the whole trip still took 18hrs.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Apr 02, 2010 10:12 pm 
haha you did the same loop I did 10 - 12 yrs ago. Good stuff up.gif so glad you still share your images and trips with us. agree.gif I want to retire in Moab...pipe dream...I will NEVER retire. shakehead.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Apr 02, 2010 10:28 pm 
thanks for bringing back memories of my trip to Arches. august was too hot but the whole place is beautiful nonetheless! up.gif #5 up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 12:45 am 
smile.gif up.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 3:21 am 
GW up.gif up.gif My wife and I made two trips down there last year and we'll probably be down there again next weekend. Never get tired of the offerings. Kudos on your trip and great pics. I can imagine how that 18 hour drive home must have felt. Again, up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 5:44 am 
GaliWalker said
Quote:
Thankfully, the drive back was smooth and resonable, but the whole trip still took 18hrs.
confused.gif What're you flyin', Gali? That's almost 100 miles per hour! eek.gif edit - While we're choosing pictures, my own Arches favorite.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Gil

Gil
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 5:52 am 
No. 2 is wonderful! One of my faves of your trip -- unless you're hiding something else ...

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 7:42 am 
Wonderful biggrin.gif

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 8:05 am 
I agree with Gil, out of a lot of great shots #2 really stands out. up.gif

silence

silence
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 9:16 am 
as you know ... i've been following you on flickr every step of the way ... and lovin it wink.gif where to next? canyonlands?

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan

PostSat Apr 03, 2010 10:44 am 
Nice report. We were hoping to stop by more parks on our way home, but only managed Zion. We did hit it right after a snowfall and it was spectacular. We are heading back next March for an extended stay in Zion. Here is the blog entry from Zion:http://usbackroads.blogspot.com/2010/03/zion-national-park-utah.html

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 11:49 am 
Excellent pics, thanks. 509, your website is cool. I especially like the term "boondocking" as opposed to "dispersed camping". More flavor to it.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 11:52 pm 
Dean wrote:
GW up.gif up.gif My wife and I made two trips down there last year and we'll probably be down there again next weekend. Never get tired of the offerings. Kudos on your trip and great pics. I can imagine how that 18 hour drive home must have felt. Again, up.gif
Thanks Dean. Utah is a magnificent state! It seems there's some confusion. I meant 18hrs for the day: 6hr drive from Zion to Arches (3am start), 7hrs at Arches and 5hrs back (got to the hotel by 9pm). I'm currently at Las Vegas airport, waiting to fly back. One more report to write, for today's wanderings, but will probably post it tomorrow. Dog tired right now and not looking forward to the red-eye flight back to Pittsburgh, since I only slept 4hrs last night after the 18hr exertion, before I was off again this morning.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Apr 04, 2010 11:25 am 
Sorry about not figuring the 18 hour aspect out correctly. I was assuming that you lived in Seattle and were planning on the long drive it takes. Allowing for bad roads and such, 18 hours wouldn't be out of the question for that trip. It takes me about ten hours to go from Lehi to Kennewick under normal conditions. Now that I know you live in Pittsburg, Scrooges comment makes sense. hockeygrin.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160