Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lk Wenatchee, Chiwawa Valley, 4/2/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri Apr 02, 2010 10:40 pm 
I'm hanging out camping/hiking the Fish Lake area. I saw the ice go off Fish Lake last week, so figured it was time to head on over. The road in to where I'm camped is usually 2-3 ft. of snow this early in April, so I was happy to see it's almost snow free. Snow free, but sure glad I drove my 4x4 truck with all the mud. Got out yesterday in 50's sunny blue sky day. Poked around the area checking out the snow levels and where I could go. You don't have to go too far to hit deep snow. The road up the Chiwawa Valley is snow free to about the Meadow Creek turnoff. Just past the Sno Park. The camping areas on both sides of the Chiwawa River are open with patches of snow. Once past Goose Creek CG the road turns to mostly solid frozen 2-6 inches of frozen ice. I drove towards Trinity about 3-4 miles and decided not to push my luck on the frozen road. Turned around and went back to the Meadow Creek road. Same thing here. Bare road for several miles then solid ice. These are heavy use snowmobile roads, so they get packed down and take forever to thaw out. I could see some one had driven up the Pole Ridge RD. on the ice. I went another 2 miles and decided to turn around.
Junction to Pole Ridge and Meadow Creek.  4/1/10
Junction to Pole Ridge and Meadow Creek. 4/1/10
Chiwawa Valley Rd. 4/1/10
Chiwawa Valley Rd. 4/1/10
P4015385.JPG
P4015385.JPG
I wandered on over to the Wenatchee River and found some awesome spots to camp! I've been on this search for several years trying to find a decent river spot and it's tough with all the gates and roads blocked off. I did some hiking on old roads and way trails and found the ultimate area. I even found an old old truck!
Old truck on the Wenatchee River.
Old truck on the Wenatchee River.
Camping spot on the Wenatchee River.
Needless to say today was a bit of a change from yesterday!....smile.gif Woke to about 3 inches of snow and return to winter. Hiked around the area enjoying the big puffly flakes of snow coming down and fished for a hour or two. C&R 4 fish. The usual wind never materialized today, so the lake was calm. Only one boat on the lake. Guess people don't like to fish in the snow!..... lol.gif
Rocky at Fish Lake.
Rocky at Fish Lake.
Snow at Fish Lk 4/2/10
Snow at Fish Lk 4/2/10
Camping at Fish Lk
Camping at Fish Lk
I'd give it another 2-3 weeks to melt off the valley snow any where close by. The season is about 2 weeks early, but not too far off from a normal snow year. Snowing hard right now as I keep warm around the wood stove. Winter isn't done quite yet. up.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostFri Apr 02, 2010 11:22 pm 
Excellent report! Feel free to pm me where that campsite on the Wenatchee River is...I'll give ya a dollar and tell no one and show very few! mum.gif hockeygrin.gif

"Make it your Friend" -John Bull
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri Apr 02, 2010 11:44 pm 
More than a $ will do!....smile.gif I actually found 4 spots that are awesome. Doesn't look like too many people camp there. Plenty of fire wood, trees down and not a ton of garbage. I found a memorial to a guy that died 5 years ago at one spot. Might be bad voo goo there though.
P4015410.JPG
P4015410.JPG

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostFri Apr 02, 2010 11:59 pm 
2 $$? clown.gif ..and that dude's spirit shifting about don't sound so bad hockeygrin.gif

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 12:06 am 
Maybe if Quark were to do some kind of voo doo cat chant it would be good. hockeygrin.gif

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 12:17 am 
No, no cats. Maybe some rum, a cigar and a bucket of KFC...Like in "Major League" biggrin.gif

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 12:27 am 
KFC sounds good! I cooked a roast and potatoes in the Dutch Oven on my woodstove. Slow cooked for about 6 hrs!....melted in my mouth. Life is rough when I camp. hockeygrin.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 7:25 am 
up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 6:56 pm 
Snowed another 3-4 inches over night, but melted off fast this morning. Partly cloudy most of the day, so a nice day to get out and about. Drove up the Little Wenatchee Rd and was surprised the gate was open. I could see people had been driving it, but doubt you can go too far. There were several snow mobile trailers parked at the gate. The snow was gross wet slop, so bagged any idea of going up that direction. Turned around and drove up the White River Rd. about 6 miles. You only have to go several miles and you hit the winter snowpack. 2-4 ft. deep at Tall Timber Ranch where the plowing stops. That area usually gets a big dump of snow and I was surprised to see maybe 2 inches of wet slop from yesterday and overnight. Not enough to even bother with my snowshoes. I poked around there for about an hour and then headed back down valley. I stopped off at the turn off to Canyon Creek and walked up that road for a couple miles. There's still 2-3 ft. of snow on the road, so it's going to be awhile till the area melts out. When I got back to my truck I was checking out the river and could see dozens of nice size trout finning under the bridge. I think the White is closed like the Chiwawa. I'll have to check out the fishing regs. I've always wanted to float the White in my kayak. It looks like a cool river as it meanders like a snake down the valley. Has anyone done that? I'll add some pics later if I pull them off my camera. Ohhh, and I saw the weirdest looking freakish dog I've ever seen. I thought it was a cougar, but when I got closer it just stood there. I was way far up valley from anything, so I don't know why it was so far away from home. Large dog about 75 lbs, cream colored with perfect round dark brown spots over it's entire body. Heinz 57 for sure. Looked like a cartoon!....LOL I should have taken a picture of it.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 8:56 pm 
GeoHiker, thanks for your dependable annual spring report on conditions around here. up.gif I do believe I recognize the abandoned campground on the Wenatchee River....Great place to visit on a bike. BTW, don't know if you're familiar with the Wenatchee Outdoors website, a good resource in NCW. Here's their report on floating the White River: http://www.justgetout.net/Wenatchee/16767 and http://www.justgetout.net/Wenatchee/14926 The Sears Creek Bridge/Road, across the White River is a peaceful gem in any season. agree.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 10:35 pm 
Nice additional recon. cool.gif