Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rockin' Granite
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostSun Feb 21, 2010 7:04 pm 
I can't seem to get enough of these 5 star days. After enjoying a loop on Amabilis yesterday, I decided to see how Granite was today. We considered Dickerman, but wanted to be home on the earlier side- and with my astonishing lack of imagination, Granite was, once again, the default 'go to' hike. There is no snow until snowline lol.gif (which was about 3500'). We used the regular trail going up. There is a good boot track all the way. I didn't carry snowshoes- and didn't need them! up.gif Microspikes were nice though. I've dubbed this the winter of 'Microspike hikes'. At least until we get more precip.- alot more.
IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1301.JPG
IMG_1301.JPG
IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1311.JPG
IMG_1311.JPG
IMG_1315.JPG
IMG_1315.JPG
For the descent, we decided to take the dirrectisimo route. We walked right down to the 'gully' route & enjoyed a speedy glissade. What took over an hour to ascend, (1500') we dropped in about 10 minutes! The best part was Isabel's reaction to Mom sliding down the hill pretty quickly: she jumped in front and 'surfed' the wave of snow. lol.gif Next time I will vidoetape. My butt stayed numb for most of the hike out- but my hamstring has been bugging me so I figured I was icing it. tongue.gif yes? We stopped at dirt- and zipped back to the car.

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Feb 21, 2010 7:08 pm 
Gorgeous! It is amazing to be able to take the summer route up that mountain. You must not have encountered as much ice as we did yesterday on Red (Painted) Mt......crampons were needed.

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostSun Feb 21, 2010 7:13 pm 
The lookout looks so wonderful with all that snow on it. At least you got to use your snowshoes for a little while yesterday! Too bad Yoko didn't go there today. Guess it was snowmobile heaven on Keechelus Ridge today.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Feb 21, 2010 8:41 pm 
beautiful...... have you ever tried placing a mouse pad between your bottom and undie for the glissade? helps with the ice and cold! great photo of you and Isabel #1315 up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss