Forum Index > Trip Reports > snowking - 2010-03-06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostSun Mar 07, 2010 5:35 pm 
iron: "this is the most tired i've ever felt in the mountains." hotpantz: "yeah, me too." left seattle at 4:15a after not much sleep. we met up with baddog and headed for road 1570 off the cascade river road. shortly after crossing the cascade river, i was more than thankful to be driving baddog's subaru. my car would have bottomed out and died right there. we got to the fork in the road and our fork went right, but was bouldered off. a couple miles of road walking and we were at the start of the trail. it seemed to start off steep, but mellowed out a bit after that. first snow was seen around 3700' and crampons were put on right around then as well. we could no longer follow the trail, but occasionally came across bootprints from a party from 2 weeks ago. around 4500' where the terrain flattens out, we tossed on the snowshoes and would have them on until about 20' shy of the summit. now on the ridge, it was time for the rollercoaster ride. it was a strange ridge indeed. i can't recall anything else that goes up and down so randomly. there were several enjoyable boulder basins to dance our way through. parts felt like a fun maze to me as often times, the boulders would be melted out on the far side and require a backtrack and different route.
snowy boulders
snowy boulders
baddog and hotpantz
baddog and hotpantz
trying to stay afloat
trying to stay afloat
texturized
texturized
finally, we hit the saddle after pt 5110 and got a view of our target. wahoo! what a sight. just breathtaking. at that instant, my pace probably doubled (until i later realized i need more oxygen for that rate).
our first view of the king
our first view of the king
more texture
more texture
a maze of snow rocks
a maze of snow rocks
approaching a snowbridge
approaching a snowbridge
baddog questioning my mad route finding skillz
baddog questioning my mad route finding skillz
alternative ridge route from north side of cyclone lake
alternative ridge route from north side of cyclone lake
just wonderful conditions
just wonderful conditions
simplicity
simplicity
just loving the maze
just loving the maze
hotpantz and eldorado
hotpantz and eldorado
fresh blanket of fun
fresh blanket of fun
the king's three summits
the king's three summits
up, down, up, down, and then mostly up. traversing on the west side of pt 5860, we crossed a small natural avy release, likely from meltwater from the trees above. the main ridge leading up to the summit was broad and thoroughly satisfying. snow conditions on this portion of the trip were near ideal.
first view of our ridge to the summit
first view of our ridge to the summit
cornice ridgeline with mutchler peak in the background
cornice ridgeline with mutchler peak in the background
smooth (pick up) lines
smooth (pick up) lines
fresh out from a dip in cyclone lake
fresh out from a dip in cyclone lake
gnarly cirque walls
1 label
gnarly cirque walls
small natural avy release (5' x 30':) on part of our traverse (Q3 sheer rating)
small natural avy release (5' x 30') on part of our traverse (Q3 sheer rating)
this chia pet needs a shave
this chia pet needs a shave
it's tough to snowshoe with only one leg
it's tough to snowshoe with only one leg
ah, that's better
ah, that's better
approaching the final ridge
approaching the final ridge
looking back to pt 5860
looking back to pt 5860
cyclone lake
cyclone lake
yum
yum
the reverse duck foot snowshoe method
the reverse duck foot snowshoe method
shadowed slopes
shadowed slopes
hotpantz soaking it in
hotpantz soaking it in
all smiles
all smiles
natural slab avalanche on SE facing slope (R2D1) with crown spanning between two exposed rocks on a convex slope
natural slab avalanche on SE facing slope (R2D1) with crown spanning between two exposed rocks on a convex slope
hotpantz and mutchler
hotpantz and mutchler
whitecaps everywhere
whitecaps everywhere
mutchler (foreground), dome (background)
mutchler (foreground), dome (background)
seductive slopes
seductive slopes
only a little more to go
only a little more to go
found and snowking lakes
found and snowking lakes
broad ridge
broad ridge
hello summit
hello summit
the final 20' up to the summit was booted up. i went straight for a notch that takes you directly to the top via 45-50 degree slopes with some crusty snow and ice underfoot. placement for the axe was not ideal. alternatively, one could stay south and traverse up to the summit via it's ridge. initially i wanted to avoid that because of the cornices looming overhead, but later, i deemed the conditions were quite safe this day and we descended closer to that route.
leading the way up the crux
leading the way up the crux
the crux of the trip as seen from the summit
the crux of the trip as seen from the summit
baddog en route
baddog en route
snow. lots of snow
5 labels
snow. lots of snow
the king's other summits with three fingers and whitehorse in the background
the king's other summits with three fingers and whitehorse in the background
basin forming ilabot creek, sluffing observed on west-facing slopes at exposed rock locations
basin forming ilabot creek, sluffing observed on west-facing slopes at exposed rock locations
mutchler peak
mutchler peak
hotpantz coming off the summit with a falling traverse
hotpantz coming off the summit with a falling traverse
starting off on the falling traverse
starting off on the falling traverse
the way home
the way home
the return trip was taxing. downhill = good. the second we had to start going uphill again, i was spent and my legs were talking to me (something that doesn't really ever happen). we were unable to beat darkness before we got to the cramponed section, so finding the trail initially proved challenging. we'd occasionally lose the trail as well, but eventually found it for a smooth ride back. 14 hours later, we found the car under clear, cool skies with stars shining down upon us. depending on what source you trust, this trip could range from 5700' to 9000' gain. at a minimum, i know it's >6400' since that's the net difference between the summit and where you park. most nwhikers TRs would tell you 9000' and 15 miles, and i'd have to concur. we'll see what that feels like later this summer when the lakes are all melted out. overall, just a killer trip on the best day of the year. can't really ask for much more than that.
success
success
blue, green, and white - my personal primary colors
blue, green, and white - my personal primary colors

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)
PostSun Mar 07, 2010 5:46 pm 
up.gif Great trip, great pic's. Nice smile.gif

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
kyle d

kyle d
PostSun Mar 07, 2010 5:47 pm 
Wow, looks amazing in winter. Way to make use of a sunny early March day. Snow at around 3700 feet sounds about the same as it was in mid-July of 2008 shakehead.gif

silence

silence
PostSun Mar 07, 2010 5:49 pm 
sweeeeet up.gif up.gif up.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Mar 07, 2010 5:58 pm 
Snow King
Nice job, all! up.gif That's a mega-day hike even in August! hink.gif borank.gif s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Mar 07, 2010 6:02 pm 
Awesome photos! Like most trips, it is prettier in the snow. agree.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Mar 07, 2010 6:03 pm 
Wow, that's incredible to get back in there so early. Great pics, and effort.

Living in the Anthropocene
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Mar 07, 2010 6:17 pm 
ditto.gif Fantastic photos (although for this place I'd say it's nicer when melted out)! I'm curious: that ridge has some mighty deep fissures in places; were they a problem/concern, given that they may have been hidden by the snow?

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostSun Mar 07, 2010 6:19 pm 
If you look at the photo labeled "hotpantz and eldorado" you can see Flow, Gimpilator, Mark and me in the background climbing Eldorado. clown.gif I know that legs talking feeling. There was plenty of that on Saturday. Flow will elaborate on his TR. Nice pictures to capture an epic hike. Wish we could've got some night shots but the end of a trip is always the hardest part. (cuz you have to say good-bye to the mountain -- and the last of your energy)

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Mar 07, 2010 6:26 pm 
Nice work Iron! Well done, I'm gonna have to come here one of these days, wish I could have joined, but I was on another mountain near by. wink.gif

BadDog

BadDog
PostSun Mar 07, 2010 6:30 pm 
Thanks to Iron and Hotpantz for having me along on this trip. This was a hard trip for me, not only from the physical challenge of it but also feeling very intimidated by the company I was in. Hotpantz is the female equivalent of Iron and the two of them together are simply formidable. Although I have plenty of stamina and endurance, I don't have the speed so I felt like I was the an anchor on the trip, slowing them down while at the same time busting myself trying to keep up. Though Iron describes meandering through the boulder field as pure joy, I was freaked out when I looked down from a "one snowshoe wide" snow bridge into the gaping chasm below created by a twenty foot high "boulders' on each side of the snow bridge. eek.gif I guess I'm just a chicken sh## and always will be. From looking at Beckey's guide the night before I also figured I would not make the final pyramid but it turned out the snow conditions were just perfect for traction. I got within 10 vertical feet of the summit but did not attempt the short traverse on the 60 degree snow, mostly because Iron and Hotpantz were already starting down. I'd have had to fiddle around to get me and Holly safely up there and I felt too hurried and knew I'd be slowing them down on the way back too. In retrospect, despite all my swearing at my snowshoes and crampons on the way down, it was a fun trip. I love that feeling of crawling into bed, dead tired and feeling my cramped muscles wake me up through the night and then slipping back into a contented sleep-there's simply nothing better.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Mar 07, 2010 7:25 pm 
Really great work. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Mar 07, 2010 7:37 pm 
Excellent TR and photos. up.gif up.gif up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Mar 07, 2010 7:55 pm 
While these pics (and the accomplishment) are beautiful, it falls way short of this area in the summer. Near paradise in the summer time.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Don

Don
PostSun Mar 07, 2010 8:12 pm 
While I would agree that late season offers up a beautiful palette for this area, I am blown away at what winter offered for this trip- very nice! I would have to say that winter is pretty special too. Nice images iron! up.gif