Forum Index > Trip Reports > Assassin Spire (8,680'+) - NW Face - First Ascent - 3.6.10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 11:36 am 
iron wrote:
question: what defines a winter ascent?
I would say apploximatly in the "winter" time although in my rules if it is super snowy and cold December 20th I would say its winter. Also it depends on what mountain, Rainier in winter vs. Tiger Mountain in winter... big diffrence! So the variables make it a little harder to define, the easy way is to be literal. lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 4:05 pm 
A winter ascent is whatever the local climbing community deems to be a winter ascent. Just as a 5.8 can be more/less difficult in one locale vs another (WA rock grades are on the soft side compared to Yosemite and New England IMHO), the same is true with other aspects. Here, as is often the case, a winter ascent is said to occur during the dates inclusive of the winter as it appears on the calender. Winter ascents are so impressive not because they're dangerous (though that can be the case), but rather the fact that weather windows, avy conditions, route conditions, skill set to mitigate winter objective hazards, and physical conditioning need to all come togethe at once to create an opportunity. The coolest thing about climbing is that there aren't rules, there isn't a governing body, and the only things that matter are those which we (as a climbing community) say matter. P.S. Those pics Richard took are sweet!!

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 9:38 pm 
Yeah, Richard took some great shots for sure! How cool is it that they were right there when we summited? Looks like the examiner picked up this story too: http://www.examiner.com/x-18581-Portland-Mountaineering-Examiner~y2010m3d12-North-cascades-activity

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostMon Mar 15, 2010 10:39 pm 
Just reading some reports after a week hiatus. What can anyone say about this one? Just friggin incredible! up.gif

iron

iron
PostTue Mar 16, 2010 1:30 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
Assassin Spire has never been climbed according to John Roper. I believe him. Not only is the spire steep, it's made of rotten conglomerate rock. In order to climb the Spire, you pretty much climb Lincoln Peak as well. I don't plan on attempting any kind of FA on that beast, I'm done with Lincoln!
... https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7971086

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Mar 16, 2010 11:27 pm 
horsey.gif Great find, Iron. Never trust anything you read on the internet.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Mar 17, 2010 6:33 am 
up.gif up.gif Iron! rotf.gif ykm.gif

Gregor
Gregor

Gregor
Gregor
PostThu Mar 18, 2010 2:56 am 
amazing trip. congrats on the first ascent. looks like really challenging climbing.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostWed Mar 24, 2010 4:55 pm 
iron wrote:
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
Assassin Spire has never been climbed according to John Roper. I believe him. Not only is the spire steep, it's made of rotten conglomerate rock. In order to climb the Spire, you pretty much climb Lincoln Peak as well. I don't plan on attempting any kind of FA on that beast, I'm done with Lincoln!
... https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7971086
I think someone must have hijacked my account. I don't remember that. clown.gif

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Mar 25, 2010 10:51 am 
So who is the "assassin" that in-"spired" the name? lol.gif But seriously, where does the name come from? Thanks

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostThu Mar 25, 2010 12:30 pm 
John Roper named Assassin Spire after noticing it on his first climb of Mt. Baker in 1967. John has a unique way of naming geographical features that are closely connected with those around them. Other examples include Porkbelly Ridge - the ridge that lies between Bacon Creek and the E Fork of Bacon Creek, Pickell Pass - the pass that lies at the head of Picket Creek and Goodell Creek, and Genius Peak - the unofficial name for Pt 8039, ESE of Dumbell Mountain. For those of you who don't know of Roper, he is an important figure in N Cascades history, and has summitted more than 2000 peaks in Washington State. His website is a wealth of information on the N Cascades.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Mar 25, 2010 5:54 pm 
So "Assassin" refers to John Wilkes Booth, since Lincoln is the name of one of the Buttes? Makes more sense now. Too bad he didn't choose something to commemorate Lincoln, like "Emancipation". Thanks