Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 10:30 am 
More Coyotebell wrote:
Her works seem to be gone from that website. I enjoyed her style, including the grotty parts. But I don't mind that others didn't like it. I wanted to read it again just because Quark hated it so much (maybe I missed something) but a Google search is not finding that poem. Since the author lives in seattle and is obviously a hiker I would thinks it's possible that she reads these forums.
I posted it on my blog yesterday. Have at it!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 10:32 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I would prefer to see, "The girl goes alone, with her trusty .357" hockeygrin.gif
rolleyes.gif That's exactly the kind of attitude we are talking about here. moon.gif

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 10:33 am 
Hikes with dogs wrote:
...and guns??? seriously? I thought there was a special thread just for the subject...??? Go to your thread!! ninja.gif
If some replaced "carry a gun" with "bring a dog" would you be as upset? What about carry mace? Guns are a reality and just as much a part of someones peoples pack as water filter.

North by Northwest
Hikes with dogs
always well behaved

Hikes with dogs
always well behaved
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 10:37 am 
Not "upset"...being the parent and directing you to pay attention to the rules, here's a link for you: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7972969 hockeygrin.gif

guns don't watch your back... our dogs have shown us the way out when we were lost...AND kept us warm... for us its ALWAYS a two dog night!
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 10:41 am 
Since apparently some people have trouble comprehending simple instructions, I have devised this clever new way of getting the information to them: GUN TALK NOT ALLOWED OUTSIDE THE GUN THREADS. GUN THREADS ARE STICKIED AT THE TOP OF TRAIL TALK AND GEAR SECTIONS. BEFORE POSTING, ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTION: 1. Am I writing about guns? ____Yes ____ No If you checked 'yes', PROCEED TO THREADS ABOVE. If you checked 'no', post away!

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 10:49 am 
BPJ started it It's all his fault. smackbum.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 11:28 am 
That doesn't mean you need to continue the gun drift.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 11:30 am 
RokIzGud wrote:
Can someone explain to me why you would be hung up on the use of the word "girl" in this peom?
Don't worry about it, Rok. I never saw anybody getting all militant about it when Connie Francis was singing "Where the Boys Are", and if you want to talk about "politically correct", how about this taunting directed at all of the male gender?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 11:34 am 
On to the actual thread topic... I'm with Quark on this. I've never thought I couldn't do something just because I happen to be female. I've always just gone out and done it if I wanted to. I've never understood the fear. Walking alone in downtown Bellingham after dark is way more dangerous than walking alone on a trail. And I have no problem walking around Bellingham, nor do I see any sort of paranoia about doing that. I've done plenty of walking around downtown Seattle, too - and that's hinkier than Bellingham.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Hikes with dogs
always well behaved

Hikes with dogs
always well behaved
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 12:31 pm 
I'm thinking it may have a lot to do with the person's physique as in if you are rather frail and feel vulnerable, you feel that way all the time and maybe more so when you are out in the woods alone no matter what gender,race... Also, she writes about not having the strong muscular guy with her...so when she first ventured out into the woods with him, she was depending on him for her safety. He probably had all the hiking experience, gear and was her mentor/caretaker...when they hiked,he led the way. I thought the poem was as much about not having him with her, as it was about going it alone and it was a lot about being an average American woman. I'm not an "average" American woman, I'm taller, bigger, stronger than the average...last time I checked, "average" was about 5'2" !!!!!!!!

guns don't watch your back... our dogs have shown us the way out when we were lost...AND kept us warm... for us its ALWAYS a two dog night!
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 1:40 pm 
Dogpatch wrote:
I'm trying to think of a poem I like that deals with confronting fears. Anybody have another example?
There's no shortage of work that addresses dealing with fears, be they real or imaginary, and certainly no lack of different methods for dealing with them: "Sand for his spinach I'll gladly bring and Tabasco Sauce for his teething ring! And an elegant, elegant, alligator to play with him in his perambulator! Then perhaps he'll struggle through fire and water to marry somebody else's daughter!" ( Song to be Sung by the Father of Infant Female Children - Ogden Nash ) "I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker, And in short, I was afraid." ( The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock - T.S. Eliot ) "Miniver thought, and thought, and thought, And thought about it. Miniver Cheevy, born too late, Scratched his head and kept on thinking; Miniver coughed, and called it fate, And kept on drinking." ( Miniver Cheevy - Edwin Arlington Robinson ) After re-reading Austen's piece again, as far as a "critique" or any value judgment on the statement I believe she's trying to make: It's too long. What she said could have been done with 2/3 of the lines she used. It loses itself with the rambling digressions toward the end and the "list" of plants and rocks. It is certainly not the self-assuredness and defiance of "Now listen to me, you Tennessee corn, And listen to my word. This is the first child ever born That was christened by a bird. He's going to act like a hound let loose When he comes from the blackjack tree, And he's going to walk in proud shoes All over Tennessee. I'll feed him milk out of my own breast And call him Whistling Jack And his dad'll bring him a partridge nest, As soon as his dad comes back." ( Love Came By From the Riversmoke ( from "John Brown's Body" ) - Steven Vincent Benét )

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 1:53 pm 
jenjen wrote:
I've never thought I couldn't do something just because I happen to be female. I've always just gone out and done it if I wanted to.
ditto.gif Of course, there's been plenty of times I've come across other people who find it surprising/worrisome/strange that I'm doing what I'm doing--whether it be hiking alone on my time off or killing rats for my job. I'd get comments like, "Wow, you're out here all by yourself??" (as if that were strange.) Or, "Wow, you're so brave!" (when about to enter a crawl space or attic, etc.). I never thought anything about it was particularly brave, I just did it b/c I wanted to. I figured that part of what it means to be an adult is to have the capability of being independent (i.e. no constant chaperone) - & that should apply to both males & females. smile.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 1:54 pm 
Nor does the "list" of recent tragic events convey the gut-wrenching fear and terror of "Oh where are you going? stay with me here, Were the vows you swore me deceiving, deceiving? No, I promised to love you, my dear, But I must be leaving. O it's broken the lock and splintered the door, O it's the gate where they're turning, turning; Their feet are heavy on the floor And their eyes are burning." ( Ballad - W.H. Auden )

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 2:13 pm 
dicentra wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I would prefer to see, "The girl goes alone, with her trusty .357" hockeygrin.gif
rolleyes.gif That's exactly the kind of attitude we are talking about here. moon.gif
It isnt an attitude at all. Its a realization that women at regular targets in our society, and guns are the great equalizers. Tell your story to the TWO women who were murdered on the AT a few years ago. Im not TELLING any woman what to do. You're all free to make your own decisions. Im not going to judge you one way or another. It was just a suggestion.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Hikes with dogs
always well behaved

Hikes with dogs
always well behaved
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 2:21 pm 
I'm actually kind of glad to see that some things never change....BPJ has posted that post before...almost word for word. wink.gif