hijacked.gif hijacked.gif hijacked.gif hijacked.gif flammable.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 7:28 pm 
baaa.gif baaa.gif baaa.gif baaa.gif baaa.gif baaa.gif baaa.gif baaa.gif baaa.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Lono

Lono
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 10:01 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Hikingqueen wrote:
Wow this got heated! I liked the poem, thanks for posting it. Girls Rule! moon.gif
Now there is something we can agree on! lol.gif
I liked it too. It captures a 'girl' I know pretty well. She was brought up to be afraid of most things, but now in her mid 20s she has gradually learned for herself that there's not too much out there in the dark and cold to threaten you. Her walk through life has been to unlearn alot of the stuff put on her early on. And she's a real hiker, she really loves it. And she can kick your ass if you hassled her. I would gush on about her some more, but having 48 year old married guys gush about attractive 25 year old women is mildly creepy...

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 10:04 pm 
Mal wrote:
another thread slowly circles the bowl before spiraling down the drain
okay so what I want to know is- does it slowly circle the bowl clockwise north of the equator, and counter-clockwise south of the equator?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 10:19 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
It has nothing to do with me or what I want to believe. Simple black and white issue. Did it happen, yes or no? The answer is yes. It doesnt matter to the two women who were killed that they were a statistical anomaly. Or maybe you dont care about them. Maybe they dont matter because that kind of thing doesnt happen very often. Maybe a person shouldnt worry about it because it could never happen to them. Im sure thats what those two women thought. You live and act the way you want, and Ill do that same. You chose not to prepare for the possibilities of life and Ill chose to prepare for them. We're all good.
No, Conrad's point is valid. You ARE making a judgement about how common it is. You think it's common enough that people should prepare for it. Don't pretend you can prepare for all the possibilities of life, because that's simply not true.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 10:35 pm 
Excuse the drift. But, does anyone know what a "Texas Brushwropper" is? Inquiring minds want to know..

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 11:04 pm 
SeanSullivan86 wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
It has nothing to do with me or what I want to believe. Simple black and white issue. Did it happen, yes or no? The answer is yes. It doesnt matter to the two women who were killed that they were a statistical anomaly. Or maybe you dont care about them. Maybe they dont matter because that kind of thing doesnt happen very often. Maybe a person shouldnt worry about it because it could never happen to them. Im sure thats what those two women thought. You live and act the way you want, and Ill do that same. You chose not to prepare for the possibilities of life and Ill chose to prepare for them. We're all good.
No, Conrad's point is valid. You ARE making a judgement about how common it is. You think it's common enough that people should prepare for it. Don't pretend you can prepare for all the possibilities of life, because that's simply not true.
Nobody is pretending anything, and no his point isnt valid! Tell his valid point to the two women who were murdered on the Pinnacle lake trail a couple years ago. It doesnt matter how common is it. It has/does happen and Im going to prepare for it. Youre right I cant prepare for everything, but I can prepare for this and Im going to. My life is important to me and Im going to be as prepared for things as I can be. No big deal that you dont want to be. Im not judging you because of it.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 1:02 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Nobody is pretending anything, and no his point isnt valid! Tell his valid point to the two women who were murdered on the Pinnacle lake trail a couple years ago. It doesnt matter how common is it. It has/does happen and Im going to prepare for it. Youre right I cant prepare for everything, but I can prepare for this and Im going to. My life is important to me and Im going to be as prepared for things as I can be. No big deal that you dont want to be. Im not judging you because of it.
From Wikipedia - Unusual Deaths: 2003: Dr. Hitoshi Nikaidoh, a surgical doctor, was decapitated as he stepped on to an elevator at Christus St. Joseph Hospital in Houston, Texas on August 16, 2003. According to a witness inside the elevator, the elevator doors closed as Nikaidoh entered, trapping his head inside the elevator with the remainder of his body still outside. His body was later found at the bottom of the elevator shaft while the upper portion of his head, severed just above the lower jaw, was found in the elevator. A subsequent investigation revealed that improper electrical wiring installed by a maintenance company several days earlier had effectively bypassed all of the safeguards. 2008: Isaiah Otieno, 20, a Kenyan student living in Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada, was crushed when a single-engine Bell 206 helicopter crashed on top of him and burst into flames when he was walking to mail home a letter. Otieno did not hear the helicopter because he was wearing headphones at the time. The three occupants of the helicopter also died in the crash. The cause of the crash remains unknown 2009: Diana Durre, of Chambers, Nebraska, died after a 75-foot (23 m) tall Taco Bell sign fell on top of the truck cab she was in. Strong winds caused the pole to break at a welded joint about 15 feet (4.5 m) above the ground Ever ridden in an elevator? Maybe you should take the stairs. Ever listen to the radio in your car? Maybe you shouldn't so you can hear and avoid falling helicopters. Ever drive around town? Maybe you shouldn't because a sign could fall on your head. Silly arguments? Tell that to the 3 people above who thought it couldn't happen to them. Of course it matters how common it is. If it didn't matter, you wouldn't need to give a 2nd example (Pinnacle Lake) and say "it has/does happen" instead of just "it has happened". Sure you might be entirely right that it's a good idea to do something to protect yourself, Conrad was just pointing out that you giving a single example isn't a great argument.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 1:05 am 
Let me ask this: How does the concern that BPJ raises bring the points in the poem into harder focus? She speaks of fear--fears brought up through what she has been taught about how women function in society, and more widely, in the backcounty, where societal norms can go out the window. Would she less fearful, or safer with a gun?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 1:33 am 
BPJ - posted a response to you in the TT gun forum.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 7:16 am 
AllisonW wrote:
Let me ask this:How does the concern that BPJ raises bring the points in the poem into harder focus?
Because it's the rocky mt. way? agree.gif Joe Walsh Rocky Mountain Way Lyrics Spent the last year Rocky Mountain Way Couldn't get much higher Out to pasture think it's safe to say Time to open fire And, we don't need the ladies crying 'cause the story's sad 'Cause the Rocky Mountain Way it's better than the way we had Well, he's telling us this and he's telling us that changes it every day Says it doesn't matter Bases are loaded and Casey's at bat playing it play by play Time to change the batter And we don't need the ladies crying 'cause the story's sad, uh-huh Rocky Mountain Way it's better than the way we had

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 9:02 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
Excuse the drift. But, does anyone know what a "Texas Brushwropper" is? Inquiring minds want to know..
That would be Texas Brush Popper. Probably referring to some kind of lower caste cowboy type. I seem to remember reading where there used to be lots of cowgirls prior to movies being made. They entered the same rodeo events as the men. In fact, there are pictures from some of the old rodeos--like Pendleton of the cowgirls. When movies came into being, the powers that be wanted a different kind of "cowgirl" portrayed, and the rest is history. I guess we can place a lot of the blame on Hollywood for spreading the message of wussy women.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
running with tourons

running with tourons
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 3:27 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
And another thread slowly circles the bowl before spiraling down the drain huh.gif
How do you know we won't have to call Roto-Rooter?

Z
Erratic

Z
Erratic
PostThu Mar 18, 2010 7:55 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Don't worry about the cougars you see, worry about the ones you don't see paranoid.gif
Now, now...not EVERY WSU grad is a homicidal maniac!!

"Einstein stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, is as a blind man stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of sound" 1979 They don't make years like they used to.
ejain

ejain
PostThu Mar 18, 2010 10:32 am 
SeanSullivan86 wrote:
Don't pretend you can prepare for all the possibilities of life, because that's simply not true.
Sure you can, and it costs only $9.95 (limited time offer, excl shipping).