Forum Index > Food & Grub > is anyone NOT eating food out of a baggie?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 4:14 pm 
slickhorn wrote:
Many of the indian dishes sold by brands like Tasty Bite dehydrate very well.
Despite the name "Tasty bite" (which comes off to me as a lame attempt to make traditional Indian cuisine sound trendy), I really like their products, especially their "Punjab eggplant". I've routinely taken their stuff sea kayaking, but always assumed that the high oil content would keep them from dehydrating very well. Which ones have you had luck with?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
slickhorn

slickhorn
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 4:19 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
Which ones have you had luck with?
Madras lentils is hands down my favorite, so I've focused on that one with excellent results. Wish I could pull off the palak paneer, but the cheese has stopped me from trying that one.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 4:21 pm 
AllisonW wrote:
Hey Cate Blanchett, I'm talking to you! Vamoose! dizzy.gif
The forum is open to anybody to post in.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 4:23 pm 
If you like the Bites of Tastiness, try MTR brand. I love the Butter Paneer. They sell MTR at Greenwood and Shoreline Markets, and they are only $2.50, or $2 on sale.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 4:25 pm 
AllisonW wrote:
Have you ever been sitting around a fire and axed a question like this? Do you ever notice how conversations change very quickly? I'm promise you no one is going to continue talking about your conversation all night... Inquiring on an online forum is pretty much going to be the same way... As for the food part. We were on a trip to Tuck and Robin Lakes when a buddy of mine made us all burritos. He boiled chicken (to heat it up with a spicy sauce) then corn and even rice. We even had avocado. It was pretty good but heavy. I think someone else said this but if you can make it at home in a pot or pan you can probably make it in the BC. It just matters if your up to carrying the weight. ...Vamos?

North by Northwest
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 4:26 pm 
jenjen wrote:
AllisonW wrote:
The forum is open to anybody to post in.
Yes, of course it is, but I started the thread in search of some new ideas. Trying to keep thread on topic.up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 4:28 pm 
Speaking of drying curries... This was something I tried to dry recently and it did not work (too oily). Product is good. Ready to eat right out of the can. It just does not dry well. I believe in sharing my failures as well as what works. Learn from others mistakes. lol.gif
Picture 201
Picture 201

Yet

Yet
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 7:06 pm 
If you didn't want to eat out of a bag, why not just try dumping it into a bowl? Our dog Rufus is not so picky. He will eat his food out of a bag or a bowl. However, he is scared of the plastic tupperwares. Anyway. Bon appetit! up.gif

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 9:43 pm 
For Indian food, Costco sells Maya Kaimal Tikka Masala sauce that is really good. I'm afraid to try dehydrating it since it has yogurt and cream in it. But the ingredient list is very short. I'm trying to come up with something similar using tomato puree, spices, and powdered milk (Nestle Nido). I figured, once I get the spices proportioned, I could make it without the milk, dehydrated it and grind to a powder, then rehydrate in camp with the milk. No luck getting the spices right so far though. frown.gif I love Indian food. Received an Indian cookbook for Christmas along with a bunch of spices.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 9:58 pm 
Opus, you can get dry yogurt powder. It is very nice in trail cooking! It is made by Frontier Foods - while I buy it in large 1 lb bags you can also find it in 2 ounce bags from www.packitgourmet.com up.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 10:03 pm 
Opus wrote:
I love Indian food. Received an Indian cookbook for Christmas along with a bunch of spices.
I love Indian food, too but , my Indian friend and I always make Mexican food... This would be bomb on a trail...
mo y yo
mo y yo

North by Northwest
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 10:11 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Opus, you can get dry yogurt powder. It is very nice in trail cooking! It is made by Frontier Foods - while I buy it in large 1 lb bags you can also find it in 2 ounce bags from www.packitgourmet.com up.gif
Yep, saw that. Once I figure out the spice blend I'll probably try it with the powdered yogurt too. Right now what I made is reasonably tasty, but it doesn't taste "Indian". Apna Bazaar over in Crossroads is full of interesting stuff, well worth a trip for anyone who likes Indian / Pakistani food. They sell all the MTR meals and lots of other stuff too. Pretty good mixes for making dosas too. And Spice Route next door is great! up.gif up.gif

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Mar 11, 2010 10:27 pm 
I've also been into Indian food for a long time. A really good Indian cookbook is "Flavors of India" (or is that "Flavours of India"?). After years of experimenting with Indian recipes, I've concluded that half of the secret to Indian cooking is to use lots of ghee (clarified butter) and fry your spices in it. (Also, fresh spices help a lot.) Fortunately, the current cycle (or should I say, "one of the current cycles") of health advice is that butter's not nearly as bad for you as it was once portrayed to be -- and certainly better than the margarines that were brought on as a "healthful replacement" for it. I'll try to post my favorite recipe for chickpea dahl tomorrow.

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 7:48 am 
waiting...waiting...waiting for the chickpea dal recipe.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 10:51 am 
Oops, sorry, I ran out of time! But I promise I won't forget and will get to it as soon as I can!!