Forum Index > Food & Grub > is anyone NOT eating food out of a baggie?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 12:33 pm 
OK, here it is: Chickpea Dal "c" = cup; t = teaspoon; T = tablespoon Assemble the following:
  • Either 1 cup raw chickpeas that you then cook ahead of time or a 25 oz can of chickpeas (incidentally chickpeas = garbanzo beans, which begs the question of whether these are peas or beans, but I'll leave that to someone else to work out).
  • 3 T ghee (clarified butter)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 t black mustard seeds (or use yellow if you don't have black)
  • 1/2 t cayenne (if you like it spicy, if not cut back to your tolerance)
  • a little less than 1/2 t turmeric (like 3/8)
  • 1/2 t chili powder
  • 1/2 t black pepper
  • 1/8 t fresh ground cloves or 1/4 t stale (mine's always stale...) or 4 crushed cloves that you later fish out
  • 1/2 t powdered cardamon
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 1 t salt
  • 1 T lemon juice
  • 1 tomato, finely chopped (last time I made this, I substituted salsa and it came out very good)
Saute the mustard seeds until they start to sputter. Add onion and saute lightly for an additional minute or two. Then add all the other spices and fry 2 minutes more. Then stir the onion/spice mix, chopped tomato, lemon juice and salt into the cooked chickpeas, mix well, and simmer until the flavors all blend together, like 20 to 30 minutes. [EDIT] Whoops, almost forgot to mention the final step, which is to buzz up the dal using a hand blender. I've made this with other dals (such as yellow split peas or red lentils) and it turns out well, but I think it's best with chickpeas. I know some may cringe at the 3 T of ghee, but that's half the secret to this recipe. If you insist, you can use a mild olive oil, but the difference is noticeable. Also, if you reduce the amount of oil, it will lose of lot of the richness (but still pretty good). I haven't tried dehydrating this, but I plan to do so soon and will update this recipe to tell how it turned out.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostSun Mar 14, 2010 11:42 am 
Thanks, I'll try this out soon. My hubby's diabetic, though, so I'll probably skip the ghee since he's supposed to cut out saturated fats. Maybe use mostly canola oil, plus a little bit of mustard oil to get a characteristic Indian flavor.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Mar 15, 2010 10:06 am 
Dogpatch wrote:
Thanks, I'll try this out soon. My hubby's diabetic, though, so I'll probably skip the ghee since he's supposed to cut out saturated fats. Maybe use mostly canola oil, plus a little bit of mustard oil to get a characteristic Indian flavor.
FYI (if you didn't know) Chickpeas are supposed to be a very good choice for diabetics. agree.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Mar 15, 2010 11:23 am 
dicentra wrote:
Dogpatch wrote:
FYI (if you didn't know) Chickpeas are supposed to be a very good choice for diabetics. agree.gif
Off topic...but wow, roasted chickpeas are SO good as a snack! I take cans, drain and rinse, toss with a tiny bit of EVOO and lots of spices/herbs, then you bake them in the oven. They are so good!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Mar 15, 2010 11:42 am 
dicentra wrote:
This is true, chickpeas have one of the lowest glycemic indices of any legume. According to this article, baby chickpeas, known as chana, are even better at producing stable blood sugar. In fact, the above recipe actually called for chana -- but I substituted regular chickpeas just because I slightly prefer the taste and it's easier to find them. However, if you're interested, chana can be purchased at PCC or Whole Foods or Uwajimaya.

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostMon Mar 15, 2010 12:09 pm 
Yup, I've got some chana dal and that's what I'll be using--I'll try regular garbanzos another day. Chana dal has the lowest rating on the glycemic index of any legume, which means its starch metabolizes really slowly in the body and so doesn't spike your body's sugar as much. Gotta say Sarbar's idea for roasted garbanzos sounds pretty delicious.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostMon Mar 15, 2010 1:41 pm 
sarbar, how long do those roasted chickpeas last? I'm stocking up on stable food (or frozen food) for the baby. I've got vast quantities of homemade chicken soup and chili, am on to making muffins and a quinoa tabboleh, but having those around sounds great!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Mar 15, 2010 1:43 pm 
With more recipes this could become the thread length of the food forum. clown.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Mar 15, 2010 2:27 pm 
nuclear_eggset wrote:
sarbar, how long do those roasted chickpeas last? I'm stocking up on stable food (or frozen food) for the baby. I've got vast quantities of homemade chicken soup and chili, am on to making muffins and a quinoa tabboleh, but having those around sounds great!
It depends on if you want them slightly creamy in the center or more crisp like popcorn. I got a couple recipes off of www.recipezarr.com for it! I think though for creamy I do around 20 minutes? Rainrunner got me a couple excellent books from England on organic baby food smile.gif I'll PM you the titles!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Mar 15, 2010 2:27 pm 
Tom wrote:
With more recipes this could become the thread length of the food forum. clown.gif
A most excellent idea! up.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Mar 15, 2010 5:16 pm 
If this becomes the Thread Length of the Food Forum, it will truly be what I deserve. So let it be written, so let it be done. doof.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 04, 2013 7:17 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
I haven't tried dehydrating this, but I plan to do so soon and will update this recipe to tell how it turned out.
so... what was the outcome?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Aug 04, 2013 10:20 pm 
Ski wrote:
so... what was the outcome?
Wow, Ski, I didn't mean to keep you in suspense for three years!! Truth be told, uh, I never got around to dehydrating it... However, I've done a lot of dehydrating over the years and predict it would dehydrate fine -- except that most likely the spicing will be less pungent than the original. So whoop it up a bit on the spicing and it should turn out fine.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 04, 2013 10:48 pm 
well.. it's not like I've been sitting here on the edge of my chair waiting... was poring over food threads and saw that and figured I'd ask. might try it out when I get back. thanks! bk

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostMon Aug 05, 2013 11:01 am 
I eat out of my cooking pot. Even when I bring a freeze dried meal, I'll end up simmering it in the pot a bit rather than hoping everything hydrates in the time suggested on the side of the bag. I like to cook and dumping hot water in a bag doesn't do it for me.