Forum Index > Food & Grub > What's for breakfast? Must be good and easy, little clean-up
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 3:08 pm 
I made my own potatoes o'brien with scrambled eggs and dehydrated them - those actually turned out quite tasty once I figured out the right amount of water to add. smile.gif Otherwise I'll do some variety of hot cereal with flax meal or hemp seeds and freeze-dried fruit. Gotta have the fruit (and a touch of brown sugar wink.gif ).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 3:20 pm 
Reading the Hulkster's description of the Packit Gourmet dried scrambled eggs in the dried eggs thread is making me wonder what is the lightest-weight skillet? I would be willing to cook for a real breakfast, since I have the stove set up for coffee anyway.
Hulksmash wrote:
Pack it gourmet scrambled eggs. up.gif up.gif Had them sunday morning. I was shocked how good they are. They are way different from any freeze dried eggs i have had. Add cold water mix to a thick liquid, dump the mixture on to a skillet and scramble..the result is freeze dried scrambled eggs that don't have the texture of beach sand. They look like scrambled eggs, taste like scrambled eggs, and have the texture of scrambled eggs. The only down side is you have to pack a skillet. hockeygrin.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 3:28 pm 
Sluggy, I use the metal top of my GSI Backpackers set. It is non-stick so eggs are slick on it. This is me making pan biscuits in it:

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 4:25 pm 
Another option is the lightest cake pan you can find at Goodwill.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 4:33 pm 
I know the lid of one of my MSR steel cook sets is thicker than it needs to be and is flat, so I believe it is meant to be used as a frying pan. I'll have to see what it weighs. Hey, good idea, Allison.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 5:47 pm 
Works great for certain things, be sure to bring some skid grease so's you don't end up with a sticky mess. I believe I inherited that idea from Brian Curtis. We all like to think we came up with all these smarty farty ideas, but a lot of them's as old as the hillz. I don't think I've ever come up with an original gear idea. embarassedlaugh.gif

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Mar 12, 2010 6:13 pm 
Grape-nuts, water, sugar. Yum. I would never cook for breakfast. Actually, I never cook (don't bring a stove) backpacking at all.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 1:55 am 
Bran buds with Milkman milk powder and maybe some chia seeds (wikipedia them) and/or hemp seeds (while you're at it, wiki them as well) and maybe dried currents or whatever. Or if it's a rest day, then hot slow-cook oatmeal (I think the slow stuff is worth the extra 4 minutes) with blueberries saved from the previous day's bounty hockeygrin.gif . Concluded with the much-heralded spoon lick followed by pocket insertion. Oh, and I prefer eating out of bowl, so after finishing my cereal, I pour a little clean water into my bowl, swish it around and drink it straight from the bowl (like real men do). Repeat, then give the bowl a little shake and call it good. If it's an oatmeal day, then I use a paper towel to wipe off the bulk of the gooey stuff first.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 11:01 am 
Sluggo, i've been using Jet Boils fry pan.......
It weighs in at 10oz, with the plastic clip on plate on the bottom. That orange plate doubles as a heat sink protector, when transporting. The heat sink on the bottom of the pan works incredibly well at distributing heat evenly. It's also non stick up.gif up.gif Only down side is with that heat sink it's kind a bulky.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 11:34 am 
For trips to the beach or other flat hikes, where I might be cooking up a whole breakfast, that thing would be awesome. The steel lid of my MSR cook set weighs 6 ozs, still too heavy for a real mountain bp trip, but the aluminum lid of my REI $13 cook set weighs just 2 ozs, and has an upturned edge, and seems just large enough to use for a couple of scrambled eggs of the Pack-it Gourmet variety. I am definitely going to try a real cooked breakfast on my next bp trip. biggrin.gif

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 1:05 pm 
You could always get those plastic cases that will store fresh eggs. They are good out of the fridge for a few days.

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 2:12 pm 
I know you can freeze egg whites, maybe you can freeze already scrambled uncooked eggs as well. If so, they might be a good option on a shorter trip.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 2:24 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
Hulk, are you using that with a regular stove? If so, does it work well? I've been meaning to try that.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 3:46 pm 
Nuclear_eggset wrote:
those plastic cases that will store fresh eggs
Worthless. I own two of them. You have to find small or ( very small ) medium eggs to fit into them, or the shells get crushed when you close the box.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSat Mar 13, 2010 5:40 pm 
Ski wrote:
Nuclear_eggset wrote:
those plastic cases that will store fresh eggs
Worthless. I own two of them. You have to find small or ( very small ) medium eggs to fit into them, or the shells get crushed when you close the box.
that's too bad. I suppose we should have a design contest, like the whole "drop the egg from the roof of the building without breaking it", but for a backpack ride instead. :P