Forum Index > Trip Reports > Swakane Canyon daytrip 2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Seracer

Seracer
PostTue Feb 23, 2010 1:53 pm 
Just too nice to stay home so Randy, Lee, Alice, myself and Lee's friends Deb and Earl took off for Swakane Canyon this last Sunday. No particular goal in mind, just walk till we were tired of it and turn about. Fabulous weather, clear skies, no wind. We drove the brutal road to the trailhead and were soon hiking up the road. Finally hit some snow around 3000 feet. It was hard and firm so we kept going and came close to the saddle just east of Point 4297 before calling it a day. Just a fine way to spend a Sunday.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Feb 23, 2010 9:15 pm 
Seracer, what's the deal with those trees? We noticed it last year - seems like a tornado danced around up there. Are microbursts common there? Trees wiped out & uprooted while some a few feet away are standing unscathed. I could be dumb and this was already answered - maybe even on my own damn trip report. If so, indulge me. I'm old and forgetful. Nice pics. I was dreaming about that place last week, and looked at my Swakane photos from past trips there. Thanks, dude.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Feb 24, 2010 12:41 am 
I had thought about this hike last year around this time and after seeing your photos I really want to go. Thanks for sharing your day with us biggrin.gif

Seracer

Seracer
PostWed Feb 24, 2010 8:05 am 
Those downed trees are from a massive wind storm back in 2001, I think. As I recall, the wind speed was near 100 mph. Crazy how some went down and others didn't. Better root systems on some?

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 2:03 pm 
Just wondering if anyone's been up there recently. Probably a bit early for the flowers but who knows in this crazy year.

Tall Hiker Man

Tall Hiker Man
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 2:20 pm 
tigermn wrote:
Just wondering if anyone's been up there recently. Probably a bit early for the flowers but who knows in this crazy year.
I was there this last Friday. We didn't see any flowers, although we stayed in the valley floor.