/Links 

Saloon
/Trade 
Forum Index -> Trail Talk -> Spokane area hikes
Previous :: Next Topic  
Malachai Constant

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:58 pm    Spokane area hikes
 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Will be spending some time there soon, anyone know good day hikes in the area.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:27 am   

Yes please tell, I plan to retire to N Idaho and all I know of is the Selkirks, I want to hike the upper priest to the Canadian border hopefully this summer.

--------------
Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:22 am   

Using summitpost pages might offer a possibility or two.

--------------
Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation.
http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
kleet
meat tornado

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:33 am   

Look up some of Spotly's TRs, he's listed quite a few good ones. I think trailjunky and RDEshadow should have a few as well.

--------------
A fuxk, why do I not give one?
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
Photonic
Wannbe Curmudgeon

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:57 am   

There are a number of hikes in the Spokane area unfortunately a lot of  the ones outside of the state parks are poorly documented.  Suggestions for dayhikes in/near town would be Iller Creek, Riverside State Park, Dishman Hills, Liberty Creek and one of my faves, Antoine Peak.

Further afield would be Turnbull Wildlife Refuge, Fish Creek and Mt Spokane state park.

These are just the ones I know about.  I know there are lots more but unless you get told about them you won't know they're there.

I have pretty good docs on Antione Peak (and Northrup Canyon but its a 2 hour drive from Spokane) at Spokane Hiking

Edit: Also check out SpokaneOutdoors.com. It has lots of info, but has not been updated in quite a while.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Visit poster's website
harrymalamute

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:11 am   

by soon I'm guessing you mean before things melt out up high, along with the previous borank.gif  trail guru's mentioned pick up 100 hikes of the inland northwest. for some close to town 5ish mile ditties, Dishman hills,Iller creek-(rocks of Sharon,aka big rock-tower mountain). centennial trail between bowl & pitcher and 7mile. pine bluff & deep creek canyon loop. the whole riverside state park is fabo mtb. Minnehaha rocks on up river drive is worth a close town explore of local rock climbing. back tracking west an hour or so will score some desert hikes and after may-mid june a 2 hour drive will get you to the magic kingdoms of N Idaho and NE WA. I have sun/mon off and often looking for a reason to dodge the honey do list so give a shout when your ready maybe get some others from here as well.

--------------
hikes and climbs with malamute
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
Spotly

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:38 am   

"100 Hikes in the Inland Northwest" has lots of good stuff in the area. There are many more short ones close to town that are great for exercise.

My personal favorites (in this area) are in the Idaho Selkirks. Most of those are within 3 hours and are on rough roads.

What are your criteria/preferences?
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Visit poster's website
Straight Arrow
Outdoor Enthusiast

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:56 pm   

Lots of hikes around Priest Lake, which is about an hour and a half from Spokane, with varying degrees of difficulty.  Ditto for the areas around Sullivan Lake in the northwest portion of the state, about 2 hours from Spokane.

Just east of Spokane is Liberty Lake that has a nice 8-mile loop trail that is pretty easy.  Near the center of town is the Dishman Mica region with a network of lots of mostly easy trails through the forest.

Turnbull NWR near Cheney has several very easy trails, but I don't go there for the hiking.  The birdwatching is what I like best about visiting Turnbull.

Fishtrap Lake west of Spokane about 30 minutes offers easy trails that'll occupy some time on.

Trails along the Little Spokane River on the north side of Spokane are worth a visit too.  Another local fave of mine, as is the paved Centennial Trail that meaners through north Spokane to Coeur d' Alene.

If you want some hiking where you can get a good sweat going on then head up to Mt Spokane.  There are a bunch of trails up there, but most will still have snow on them right now.

As has been pointed out already the guide "100 Hikes in the Inland NW" is a great resource.  Trails within 30 minutes radius of Spokane will be pretty easy, but within 2 hours in most directions will give you some steeper and more challenging trails.

--------------
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
.-.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Soccer_Dad

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:28 pm   

The "Spokane Area" has as much variety as you could hope for.  The important questions are:  When will you be here?  How far are you willing to drive?  What do you like in a hike?

The answers to those questions will let us know whether to suggest hiking in Riverside State Park (essentially accessible by city bus), a beach walk at Lake Roosevelt, a ridge walk along the Bitterroot Crest, or boulder-hopping to Hunt Lake in the Selkirks (among four I've done in the last 12 months).

John
Malachai Constant

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:43 pm   

We will be there for a Volleyball Tourney this weekend with our car. There is usually a lot of slack time. We like views and elevation gain is not a problem. Will need to be within an hour at most of downtown and less than 5 mi. Thanks for the tips so far smile.gif

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Straight Arrow
Outdoor Enthusiast

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:52 pm   

That being said then I suggest the trails along the Centennial Trail near Bowl & Pitcher or the Dishman-Mica trails.  One hour from downtown can easily take you to way beyond Coeur d' Alene or Cheney or up to Newport, but 5 miles from downtown (as you indicated) restricts you somewhat to the trails I just referenced.

--------------
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
.-.
Malachai Constant

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:59 am   

Actually I meant a 5 mi. hike within an hour drive.

--------------
harrymalamute

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:13 am   

Iller creek to big rock, it's right at 5ish miles rt, good elevation gain with good views of the spokane valley and fun rock formations and very close to town.edit: on checking previous tr's others have taken taken trails to the right (west) partway up the drainage towards tower mtn. I would recommend staying in the drainage till the first main trail left (east)ridge line takes you to within 100 yrds east of big rock. the trail stays nicely in the trees. two points to note 1) intersection of spur trail from Iller creek to east ridge and 2) where east ridge tops out on top are easy to miss on return.

--------------
hikes and climbs with malamute
Straight Arrow
Outdoor Enthusiast

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:47 am   

Then any of those that have been mentioned should work nicely for you, except for the NE Washington state or Priest Lake trails that take a little more time to get to/from the trailheads.

--------------
.-.
Photonic
Wannbe Curmudgeon

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:24 am   

Malachai Constant wrote:
We will be there for a Volleyball Tourney this weekend with our car. There is usually a lot of slack time. We like views and elevation gain is not a problem. Will need to be within an hour at most of downtown and less than 5 mi. Thanks for the tips so far smile.gif

Which tourney? I may be there with my daughter.    smile.gif

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours 
Forum Index -> Trail Talk -> Spokane area hikes 1, 2  Next 

Jump to: