Forum Index > Trail Talk > Route 20 road condition
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
oalfishcivil

oalfishcivil
PostMon Mar 22, 2010 3:19 pm 
Anybody know if the route 20 is reopen or not. And how is the road condition all the way to Diablo Lake. Are there lots of snow on or beside the road? Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostMon Mar 22, 2010 3:28 pm 
Per the DOT news list I am on... Received Mon 3/22/2010 3:22 PM ---- Hi all, The Twisp Maintenance Supervisor, Don Becker, who is in charge of the reopening effort tells me it was about 35 degrees with broken cloudy skies that were providing snow flurries off and on this morning as the crew arrived at the Silver Star Gate and started unloading equipment. The 5-yard loader cleared the 3-1/2 feet of snow in the staging area, the low boy unloaded the Kodiak Snow blower and by 10:30 it was chugging toward Lone Fir campground (about 2-1/2 miles away.) If all goes according to the plan, a second snow blower will join the first tomorrow, along with a grader and they hope to have both lanes cleared another two miles to Cutthroat Ridge by Tuesday afternoon. Wednesday morning the Avalanche crew and the snow cat will join the fun as the crew and equipment begin clearing through the first of twelve avalanche chutes in that zone. There are pictures on the flickr site - http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/sets/72157623371473447/ of the snow blower headed north last Thursday afternoon and the snow cat, loaded and ready for tomorrow's trip to Twisp. Later today, I should get some pictures from Deed Fink (the lead tech from Twisp) of the Kodiak doing it's thing and some "housekeeping?" photos - Look for them! The weather tomorrow and Wednesday is supposed to drier and sunnier. Stay tuned. Jeff Adamson

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Mar 22, 2010 3:30 pm 
Here's the link to WSDOT's North Cascades highway web page. On the page are also links you can use to get email updates. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/northcascades

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Cody s

Cody s
PostMon Mar 22, 2010 6:14 pm 
There is no snow all the way to Colonial creek and I assume no snow at the ross trailhead. I hope to be one of the first to cross this year..........After tootsie of course..... up.gif

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Mar 26, 2010 2:23 pm 
Cody s wrote:
...After tootsie of course..... up.gif
Is that a person? I might have heard of them. huh.gif

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostFri Mar 26, 2010 4:02 pm 
Flow wrote:
Cody s wrote:
...After tootsie of course..... up.gif
Is that a person? I might have heard of them. huh.gif
https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7973373&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60
Quote:
That would be Tootsie. hockeygrin.gif Quote: Tootsie Clark's restaurant, The Eatery, at Clark's Skagit River Resort in Marblemount (www.northcascades.com). Now in her 90s, Tootsie is still working 12+-hour days making the pies, fried chicken, meatloaf, cinnamon rolls, etc., and serving up great food and delightful conversation. Tootsie is always the first person to drive through the North Cascade Hwy when it opens in the spring (with her family). I'm not sure she drives at this point as well over 90. She's a hoot! lol.gif Stop at the eatery and talk to her sometime. up.gif

Cody s

Cody s
PostFri Mar 26, 2010 4:15 pm 
Yep she still goes. Alway has coffee and the best cinnamon rolls you have ever tasted. I believe last year was the first year the road crew let her open the gate.