Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ancient Lakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Galadriel

Galadriel
PostSun Mar 28, 2010 7:55 pm 
My son and I dayhiked in the Ancient Lakes area Saturday. The balsom root is blooming on the southeastern slopes, and the shooting stars are out in full force everywhere. No snakes or ticks, just a couple of lizards crossed our path. On the Dusty lake pennisula section, there was an encampment of 8 tents. Someone had packed in a raft and was floating on the lake. We hiked a loop, about 15 miles, sometimes cross country, and sometimes on trails. Occasionally we weren't certain of our location, but with the wide open spaces we couldn't get lost.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Mar 28, 2010 9:37 pm 
would have been great meeting you on the trail....we left camp before 8 on saturday. it was gorgeous at the lakes....even if we missed seeing Dusty Lake. next time! great capture of the falls..... eek.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Mar 29, 2010 9:01 am 
Galadriel, your pics remind me of how I felt when I first visited that area and fell in love with coulee-land. Something about gazing out to the vast open spaces clears the clutter out of the ole magoo, and you feel so enlightened - Alan Bauer calls it "the Moses effect."

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostMon Mar 29, 2010 9:13 am 
I didn't see any shooting stars..bummer.. you got some nice shots, we didn't get up that high

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostTue Mar 30, 2010 10:39 am 
I keep missing the flowering time over there! Maybe there will still be some out in 3 weeks. Glad you and Joe had a great hike and time together, but we missed you on Orcas! Looking forward to this weekend's adventure in Neah Bay with you and our men. smile.gif