Forum Index > Trip Reports > Neither Rain, Nor Snow, Nor Sleet . . . . 04-02-10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostFri Apr 02, 2010 3:25 pm 
(Herodotus - 5th Century B.C. - not the U.S. Postal Service) Well, perhaps today would have been just a lovely day on Mailbox, but given the prediction of heavy snow, winds of 35 mph/gusting to 50 mph, I opted to drag my friend John on a more "sheltered" hike up W. Rattlesnake to Grand Prospect. OMG, eek.gif , who would have guessed this was an April hike?
Not terrible - yet
Not terrible - yet
We weren't 1/4 of a mile out of the parking lot (and, the only car IN the parking lot - do you think others may have known something we didn't? huh.gif Or had more common sense? clown.gif ) anyway, it started snowing! And, it didn't stop the entire hike - although it was more a combination of rain/snow/sleet as we got back to the car.
Snow starts
Snow starts
A spring walk
A spring walk
The wind was blowing pretty hard through the area where you cross under the power lines and we wondered what it might be like at Grand Prospect.
Entering the trees
Entering the trees
But once we were in the trees again, it was calmer. The snow was sticking - we didn't hit evidence of old snow until you cross the creek near the ridge. By the time we reached Grand Prospect, there was quite a bit of new snow and no longer any evidence of fresh tracks. It was a tad chilly, too! This looked quite a bit different today (April 2!) than it did on January 24!!!
Snow blowing like crazy!
Snow blowing like crazy!
Late January
Late January
Driver and Gus
Driver and Gus
I'm sure John enjoyed the lovely weather and spectacular views! lol.gif But that's ok, he needed to get out and stretch his legs before he heads down to the Southwest for two weeks of hiking! winksmile.gif
Enjoying the view . . .
Enjoying the view . . .
Gus didn't care that there was near-blizzard conditions! dizzy.gif
More than paw deep!
More than paw deep!
"Winter" Wonderland!
"Winter" Wonderland!
The dip can always take a dip!
The dip can always take a dip!
It is definitely crazy weather!
January?
January?
April?
April?
Even the poor flowers are confused. (Saw my first Trillium today, too!)
I thought it was Spring!
I thought it was Spring!
Of course, by the time we got back to Issaquah, there were some sun breaks! cool.gif tongue.gif Oh well, Springtime in the Northwest! A nice 8+ mile hike and decent gain - still no one in the parking lot when we got back. We didn't take anything but hiking poles and yak-trax/micro-spikes, and didn't need the traction devices. (However, if the snow keeps coming down like it was near Grand Prospect earlier today - snowshoes might be needed this weekend above 2000'!) At least there's no avalanche danger on Rattlesnake! (I told you Rich, this was a Rattlesnake kind of weekend!)

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Apr 02, 2010 3:37 pm 
Thanks for the report. I was kind of wondering. Yea I suspect it could end up being a snowshoe or at least being able to use snowshoes. I suspect similar on the East Peak side....

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostFri Apr 02, 2010 5:19 pm 
Crazy! I was done with snow but guess not..looks like it will be around in the higher hills for a while.

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 10:42 am 
all these folks headed to the southwest- we should be going too!

'we don't have time for a shortcut'