Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Where you ever bullied in school?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 7:07 pm 
I was just reading about a 15 year old girl who hung herself because she was bullied at school.It happened a few months ago... Those involved got felonies and had their faces shown on the news.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 7:29 pm 
Someone(s) were picking on her including on the internet. "What is Bullying? Bullying is when someone keeps doing or saying things to have power over another person. Some bullies operate by saying nasty things, leaving some people out of activities, not talking to them, threatening them, making them feel uncomfortable or scared, taking or damaging their things, etc.."

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 8:38 pm 
once I can remember, in like the 5th grade, some older/bigger kid took my lunch pale, at the nearby park on the baseball field..... well I went over to the rock/dirt wall and grabbed a good size rock, walked up behind him and when he turned around, he put up his arm,holding the lunch pail, said pail proceeded to knock out some teeth...my what a mean pail that was.. hockeygrin.gif ...sorta got in trouble for that one..... the only other one was when I went home and got my dirtbike, ...said dirtbike then went mysteriously out of controll, running some bully over....some kind of throttle problem.... agree.gif really didn't have tooo much trouble after that!!!

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 8:53 pm 
Yep. I survived high school, chose the state college as far away from my home town as I could get, and never looked back. I take that back. I did go to the 10 year reunion. Huge mistake. I still cannot believe I paid actual money to be drug back through all the muck I'd walked away from. (man, was I stupid!)

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 10:01 pm 
6'1" and 135 lbs in Jr. High. You tell me. wink.gif As a result I got very good at talking my way out of things. These days I'm a pretty good sales rep and I've filled in that missing weight... smile.gif

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 10:48 pm 
jenjen wrote:
.....I take that back. I did go to the 10 year reunion. Huge mistake. I still cannot believe I paid actual money to be drug back through all the muck I'd walked away from. (man, was I stupid!)
Maybe just my experience, but each reunion gets very noticeably better (although the participation starts fading at the 40th!). People seem to have less to prove each time. Even the old jerks didn't seem like jerks any more.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 10:49 pm 
I've only experienced bullying in adult life. They exist. Bullying is a sustained attack on a individual person as opposed to a Junior High fight out on the football field between two guys - although that may have started with bullying. That usually gets settled one way or the other. The bullies who don't get their butts kicked in school go on to be bullies in adult life.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 11:42 pm 
I got bullied in Junior High which taught me to behave tougher-meaner than I really was but I did not bullied anybody and at times I found myself protecting the little guy just by my presence. This experience lead to a law enforcement career.

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
shadetree

shadetree
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 11:51 pm 
Yes. My experiences were similar to Gnome's. Funny how things change when a 5'8" 140ish pound guy get's into a fight with a 6' 200 plus pound bully in front of a group of jr high kids. I didn't have too many problems after that.

cartman

cartman
PostSun Apr 04, 2010 2:22 am 
As much as any parent may deplore violence as an answer, bullies truly only understand one language. It doesn't matter if you're not big or even if you don't win the fight--bullies are cowards and will stop bothering you if you make it hard on them. Unfortunately, this usually only works for boys. In the Mass. case, I sincerely hope the perps get the maximum sentences the law allows--make an example of them. And that some of the school employees are eventually held responsible as well.

ree

ree
PostSun Apr 04, 2010 8:49 am 
Yes.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Apr 04, 2010 8:53 am 
In my case the bullies ran my Junior High. In addition some of the teachers and administrators were bullies. As in many smaller towns they made the town bully chief of police. The prosecutor was a bully to his staff and others. The common advice t fight the bully works better in theory and films than in actuality. The bullys at our school were at the top of the feeding chain they liked to fight and were good at it. They were used to getting beaten by their parents and sibs. They picked there victims well going after the smaller and weaker kids who would sometimes follow their parents and teachers advice to no avail. In many cases the victims were the ones who got in trouble. In my case it was not much of a problem until I started buying and selling stamps and coins which required carrying large amounts of cash (for those days). We turned to various types of equalizers. We converted knives to switchblades and filled squirt guns with 28% ammonia. I hit a kid with a roll of dimes in my fist. We had access to guns and would have gone Dylan and Kleebold except we were smart enough to see that as counter productive. I had a mace of a pipe filled with lead at the end in my car. By high school the the worst bullies graduated to Green Hill. The same tactics were tried when some of us tried to protest (political content withheld) but we were smarter then and the bullies got a surprise they did not like. When I graduated I got out of there a fast as I could. It gave me a permanent sympathy for the underdog a and a total disdain for authority. I briefly practiced there for a year or so after law school but left ASAP. Thomas Wolfe is right You can't go home again.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Apr 04, 2010 10:11 am 
shadetree wrote:
..when a 5'8" 140ish pound guy get's into a fight with a 6' 200 plus pound bully in front of a group of jr high kids. I didn't have too many problems after that.
Back to The Future. BIFF. Bully. Kick his ass Dad.
Back to The Future. BIFF. Bully. Kick his ass Dad.

RichP

RichP
PostSun Apr 04, 2010 10:14 am 
I don't think anyone has escaped being bullied at some point in life.

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostSun Apr 04, 2010 10:35 am 
Nowadays I don’t think bullies are anything like they used to be. The public school teachers don’t let anything fly including saying “Jesus Christ”. The few fights that happen every year are generally between two jocks from different clicks. Sure there’s stuff said and names called but I nothing really lasts long. In Cle Elum and Bothell, I there have never been any forms of “initiation” while I was there that I saw and everything seems pretty chill. Are you talking about Phoebe Prince? The big thing was she was harassed via Face book and text messages. It’s called cyber bullying and it can be easily prevented.

North by Northwest